• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The UA Performance Mouthpeice

superprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Don't know if anyone has seen it. Is somehow meant to improve strength and indurance. Speed up reactions and decrease stress and lactic acid. It'll cost £60 and one for upper and lower moulded by a dentist will be around £500. Now are these improvements true or a load of bull?

Also as a matter of interest do underage players in your respective countries have to wear gumshields like Ireland? The only one I know is Wales where I know you don't.

Bound to be a load of bull, a mouthguard isn't going to do all of that

Investigated this a bit more - it looks like it actually works. This is the brochure from the Under Armour website: http://www.underarmour.tv/video/shop/bitetech/UAPM_ConsumerBrochure_US.PDF

Not content believing their own spiel I went on youtube and found some testimonials:

This bodybuilder says he can get increase reps and strength:

This is a dentist talking about it on the news, and how a prominent American Football player swears by it:

Doctor says he is avid cyclist and says he doesn't hit the 'wall' as quickly and lactic acid doesn't build up as quickly:

But regardless of the 12-17% improvement in strength I think £500 is a ridiculous price to pay, and I don't anyone on the forum really plays at a high enough level to really see huge benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
i read about it in rugbyworld and the percentages they were talking about were pretty crazy - no way that a piece of plastic can make that much of a difference. i have to admit though, the science behind it makes sense and i guess you'd get a boost psychologically as well, knowing that you had that scientific edge to push further. definitely not sure whether it's worth the money though - think i'll stick to a standard guard!

Latest posts