• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Web Ellis cup on the Mont Blanc

T

tituslechmakus

Yesterday a group of moutain guides and famous rugby players (like Sella), brout the Web Ellis trophy at 4807m of altitude, on the top of Europe, the Mont Blanc near Chamonix. The 20 flags of the qualified teams were then planted. Sella said it was a great moment to have the trophy there and that the pain to take it up was worth it ... (in my opinion, less than reciving a 120kg 2nd row on the back !!!)

Do you see it symbolic or useless ?

Yesterday a group of moutain guides and famous rugby players (like Sella), brout the Web Ellis trophy at 4807m of altitude, on the top of Europe, the Mont Blanc near Chamonix. The 20 flags of the qualified teams were then planted. Sella said it was a great moment to have the trophy there and that the pain to take it up was worth it ... (in my opinion, less than reciving a 120kg 2nd row on the back !!!)

Do you see it symbolic or useless ?

[/b]

Symbolic....brilliant idea I think.

Useless...What's the signifigance? I'm not against doing things for symbolisms sake, but I'd be much more impressed if they took the Cup and Flags to orphanages of all the qualifying nations.

Useless...What's the signifigance? I'm not against doing things for symbolisms sake, but I'd be much more impressed if they took the Cup and Flags to orphanages of all the qualifying nations. [/b]

HelenLovejoy.jpg

But the children are our future.

Treat them well, and let them show the way. It is the greatest love of all. <vomit smiley>

it just seems a waste of time. surely this time could have been used to do a good tour with the cup and show it off around the world (someone correct me if they have already done this)

around the world is a bit much isn't it? but some event like they do with the olympic flame could have been nice. and you just need to take it from the french riviera down to spanish east coast during August and half of Europe will have seen it !!!

I think its symbolic in 2 ways, the pain you suffer on a rugby field is about the same than to go up to 4800m (and i will remember to everyone that the oxygen up there is getting rare ...)
And the Mont Blanc is the top of France and Europe, where the competition takes place. So its to take the cup on the top...
The behavior you must have on a rugby field is about the same than the one you must have to climb such a mountain : friendship and help each other.

Useless. Could have devoted that amount of time & energy in rugby clinics around Europe...

well the cup was at eden park the other day (yesterday maybe) so its making the rounds.

The cup has already travelled a lot.

This is usual to bring trophees at the summit of the Mont Blanc. It was done with the FIFA Worldcup trophee or the Olympic flame

Useless. Could have devoted that amount of time & energy in rugby clinics around Europe... [/b]

And how many people would be talking about that?

The Mont Blanc thing was a statement, nothing pragmatic about it....you've got to think big.

Latest posts