• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thorn heading back to canterbury!

W

woosaah

Rugby: Thorn heading back to Canterbury
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:47p.m.
brad-thorn_180.jpg
Brad Thorn is back for the red and blacks http://www.tv3.co.nz/tabid/0/articleID/36968/Default.aspx#video<a href=\\"http://www.tv3.co.nz/tabid/0/articleID/36968/Default.aspx#video\\" target=\\"_blank\\"></a>

The Crusaders will not be lacking in the height department next year, despite losing All Black Chris Jack overseas.

First it signed fellow All Black Ali Williams from the Blues and now Brad Thorn, the former All Black and Kangaroos forward has gone full circle.

He is returning to the franchise he left so he could link up with his old league club, the Brisbane Broncos.

Thorn will arrive in Christchurch next month, with the Crusaders' opening game against the Brumbies on February 15.[/b]

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/SportsNews/Rugby...efault.aspx#top

saw this the other day on the news, surprised it hasnt come up anywhere else.

what do people thing, Ali Williams and Brad Thorn, good line out combo. :)

i really am surprised i havnt seen this on any other news websites though.

Thorn has sighed with Tasman for next season, making him eligible to be selected for the Crusaders. I'm not certain that he is a definite to make the Crusaders squad give the strength of locks now in the region, with Ali Williams, Ross Filipo, Issac Ross, Michael Paterson, and Keven O'Niell all quality locks, and both Thorne and Reid flankers capable of covering lock. I'd have thought that Williams and Filipo were certainties, while I'd be surprised if he was selected ahead of Ross who has had and outstanding season for Canterbury. It would be close between him and Paterson as to who gets the fourth lock position (if they even take four locks...). Given he hasn't played rugby union for a number of years he may miss out...(though I'm sure the Chiefs could do with a lock of his quality...)

yeah is rather slow, especially in the article i read didnt say anything about Tasman. So didnt even look at the air new zealand cup thread. Also thought it diserved its own thread.

Thorn has sighed with Tasman for next season, making him eligible to be selected for the Crusaders. I'm not certain that he is a definite to make the Crusaders squad give the strength of locks now in the region, with Ali Williams, Ross Filipo, Issac Ross, Michael Paterson, and Keven O'Niell all quality locks, and both Thorne and Reid flankers capable of covering lock. I'd have thought that Williams and Filipo were certainties, while I'd be surprised if he was selected ahead of Ross who has had and outstanding season for Canterbury. It would be close between him and Paterson as to who gets the fourth lock position (if they even take four locks...). Given he hasn't played rugby union for a number of years he may miss out...(though I'm sure the Chiefs could do with a lock of his quality...)
[/b]

What makes you certain the Canes will not hold onto Filipo now??

<div class='quotemain'> Thorn has sighed with Tasman for next season, making him eligible to be selected for the Crusaders. I'm not certain that he is a definite to make the Crusaders squad give the strength of locks now in the region, with Ali Williams, Ross Filipo, Issac Ross, Michael Paterson, and Keven O'Niell all quality locks, and both Thorne and Reid flankers capable of covering lock. I'd have thought that Williams and Filipo were certainties, while I'd be surprised if he was selected ahead of Ross who has had and outstanding season for Canterbury. It would be close between him and Paterson as to who gets the fourth lock position (if they even take four locks...). Given he hasn't played rugby union for a number of years he may miss out...(though I'm sure the Chiefs could do with a lock of his quality...)
[/b]

What makes you certain the Canes will not hold onto Filipo now??

[/b][/quote]

Because under the rules if a player has been drafted by a team for 2 years or more, then the player has the choice as to whether they would like to be in that team, or in the team from their franchise area (assuming that both teams want them). This was the case last year, with Filipo choosing to play for the Crusaders, so I'd assume he would choose to play for them again this year....

Oh!! OK. I didnt know that... well I'm glad I'm still learning new things every day.

BTW, dont you think that Tasman/Crusaders signing Thorn over is an indication that apart from losing Jack, they will also lose the services of Filipo??

thorn is a quality player even if he has been out of union for the last few years. I have no doubt he will be in the crusaders and proabbly in the starting line-up and the bench at worst.

This is outrageous! Yet another long time serving player has left the broncos! Noooooo

<div class='quotemain'>
This is outrageous! Yet another long time serving player has left the broncos! Noooooo
[/b]
Teaches you to follow league :) [/b][/quote]
I follow both codes equally.

Oh!! OK. I didnt know that... well I'm glad I'm still learning new things every day.

BTW, dont you think that Tasman/Crusaders signing Thorn over is an indication that apart from losing Jack, they will also lose the services of Filipo??

[/b]

Could very well be the case - perhaps this year Filipo has indicated that he would like to play for the Canes rather than the Crusaders... I think the New Zealand Super 14 squads get announced around the end of this month so we will find out soon enough....

It's only a one year deal isn't it?

Probably just wants to showcase himself for the Japs or French Clubs and cash in his retirement fund.

It's only a one year deal isn't it?

Probably just wants to showcase himself for the Japs or French Clubs and cash in his retirement fund. [/b]

Yeah its only a one year deal, however I'm not even sure that Thorn will be playing for Tasman - sounds like he's primarily interested in playing for the Crusaders, and then will decide what he is doing after that - here is a news story from today:

"A burning ambition to win a Super rugby ***le for the Crusaders is one of the prime motivating factors for former All Black Brad Thorn's return to New Zealand rugby.

Thorn has signed with the Tasman Rugby Union as a way into the Crusaders Super 14 franchise, and there's no guarantee he will play for New Zealand's newest union in next year's Air New Zealand Cup.

The Crusaders squad won't be announced until later this month but Thorn's name is almost guaranteed to be among the 28 selected.

Announcing the signing, Tasman chief executive Lee Germon said he hoped Thorn would play a part in the team's campaign next year.

However, speaking from his Brisbane home this week, the Broncos league star said his onfield involvement or otherwise with Tasman had yet to be decided.

"I must admit probably my main focus would be to try and win a Super 14 ***le. When we lost the second one in Canberra in 2004 (38-47), afterwards I was gutted.

"It was probably about a week following we had an All Blacks camp, and I just felt down about that final. I just wanted to leave my little mark on that.

"It's (the Crusaders) an awesome team to play for and a place I enjoy living. I'm pretty darned excited."

At 32, some might suggest that Thorn's best playing days are behind him, but he doesn't see it that way, and is available for the All Blacks again.

If Crusaders coach Robbie Deans gets the All Black coaching job off Graham Henry, Thorn's chances would arguably increase, as would the likelihood of him playing for Tasman.

"I've always said I want to play at the highest level. Always make myself available to play at whatever level I can.""

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4242515a10295.html

If he proves himself, then I think he deserves another chance but I would prefer to see a young player get blooded early to prepare for 2011.

i dont think next year 2011 should even be mentioned. its four years away.

sure they may be building for it but they dont need to start straight away.

take the emphasis next year off of 2011. we need a break from the build up.

I think he must have got an inside word from Robbie Deans.

Why else would you sign on if you were him?

The Crusaders already have Ali Williams and Ross Filipo.
Plus the amazingly promising talents of Michael Paterson and Isaac Ross.

If Thorne only wants is for one year, and hasn't played Union for a few years it wood make more sense to stick with the 4 guys I've mentioned above? Not just for the future. Filipo, Paterson and Ross have all looked impressive this season. Thorne would be a long shot because you don't know what you're getting in terms of union skills.

The fact that the ELV's are likely to be in place next season may be the tipping point for Thorne. Afterall he is slimmed down after the NRL by a few kgs. The added mobility that he'd bring might be in his favour for the ELV's in S14 2008?

It would be kinda funny tjough if Thorne missed out on the Crusaders and played a full season for the Makos. I'm sure he must have hedged his bets somehow to ensure that doesn't happen?

We might end up with another Rico-gate episode.

I've always thought Brad Thorn would have made a great No.6...and i remember reading this is where he would have liked to have been given a chance when he originally switched. He doesnt really seem suited to lock.

I've always thought Brad Thorn would have made a great No.6...and i remember reading this is where he would have liked to have been given a chance when he originally switched. He doesnt really seem suited to lock.

[/b]
I think he would be a tad bit slow for blindside flanker.

Latest posts