• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thoughts on Quade Cooper?

Zed

Bench Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Force
How does everyone think QC went last night? He's getting bagged by most of the Australian supporters it seems, but I thought he had a good game. He should definitely be in Deans squad after last nights performance.

He's still a bit up and down. But his flashes are enough to keep him on any side. Just wouldn't trust him at test level.

Wallabies would be way better off with O'Connor at 10 - who's just as dangerous but not a liability.

Though in saying that, he did play relatively well last night.

QC had a real mix performance last night. He ran and passed excellently just played with the flair that the Reds should play with, but if he wants to be in the Wallabies squad thats not how you do it, he needed to defend at 10 and kick the conners. I bet he won;t be in the squad anyway because of the Toxic comments.

I think JOC should start at 10 with the usual backline. Then Quade and Izzy being the supersubs on the bench.

Deans is the coach. He has the right as the coach to select the players whom he believes matches his game plan. If you pick Quade you are basically turning the game into a massive lottery. He did good things but he also does so many bad things. For instance, he was always taking the quick taps! At one stage the Reds got a penalty in their own half. Quade tapped and went. The ball was then passed out to Davies who kicked the ball. What was the point in that? Then there was his stupid no look pass in his 22 which should have cost the Reds a try. At test level the defence tightens up. His brilliant plays become less likely and the mistakes become more costly. I think Australia has better options. Cooper to me is basically uncoachable. You can't blame a coach for not wanting a player like that in their team.

Thoughts on Quade Cooper....he is like Michalak (and Gregor Townsend and Carlos Spencer) before them.....brilliant at times but too dangerous and a liability at others.

Only difference between Cooper and the rest is that Cooper strikes me as a petulant idiot and, I understand from yesterday's commentary, Deans has described his presence in the squad as corrosive?

Thoughts on Quade Cooper?

One word... douchebag!

That is all!!

Cooper needs Genia at scrum-half. Genia even stated he'd prefer to play with Cooper at 10 and anybody else. Interesting that Beale has been brought into the squad, surely he has done more damage than Cooper (in terms of alcohol and being a 'corrosive' player to the team), yet he is still picked.

Cooper needs Genia at scrum-half. Genia even stated he'd prefer to play with Cooper at 10 and anybody else. Interesting that Beale has been brought into the squad, surely he has done more damage than Cooper (in terms of alcohol and being a 'corrosive' player to the team), yet he is still picked.
How do you know Beale has been "corrosive" to the team?
Cooper came out and slated Australia/Deans in the press, I don't think Beale has done anything specifically towards the Wallabies.

How do you know Beale has been "corrosive" to the team?
Cooper came out and slated Australia/Deans in the press, I don't think Beale has done anything specifically towards the Wallabies.

Didn't mean towards Australia, meant in terms of his time at the Rebels. Fighting with his team-mates, going out and getting drunk etc. when he is not allowed. Cooper has not done anything like this, or at least to the same extent as Beale.

Didn't mean towards Australia, meant in terms of his time at the Rebels. Fighting with his team-mates, going out and getting drunk etc. when he is not allowed. Cooper has not done anything like this, or at least to the same extent as Beale.
True.

But sometimes, certain players can just get into a coach's dogbox.

why should he definitely be in the aussie squad? Deans asked him to prove he can play test footy. Missed touch on an important penalty and neglected to kick on defense at times which put his team under pressure. Silly taps for penalties when a kick is needed.

Silly things like that are the reason he's not being selected. Doesn't matter how fancy his feet and some of his passes are.

Quade played himself out of contention IMO.

Looked like he was trying a bit too hard to do something magical with all the quick taps, not electing to kick from hand and running in to bodies and offloading, no-look passes on the edge of his own 22. At the end of the day, everybody knows Quade has that in his locker. What he doesn't have is the temperament to control a game for a full 80 minutes, keep things ticking and not make stupid mistakes and rash decisions.

However, I think regardless of how Quade played yesterday, one game wasn't going to make a difference. And regardless of how he's played this season, I think Deans just has it in for him. I'm happy though, as rash as he can be at times he always looks dangerous and him playing off Genia would be a fearsome partnership, so from a Lions point of view, it's good news he hasn't been selected.

that's the problem, he was trying to create magic when what he needed to do was get the basics right and make good decisions.

At this time while Quade seems like the best no.10 for the Reds, I'd only watch the Reds if Quade and Genia are playing otherwise I'd most likely not watch the Reds unless they're playing this years champs the Blues. He's good player.

Just like us or all whether we realise it or not, he has his haters...
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/17540123/quade-cooper-attacked-in-hotel-in-brisbane/

probably a kiwi haha Quade is a much better bloke than JOC. the only reason you kiwi's hate him id for the whole knee to the head when every team in the world targets Macaw like that

probably a kiwi haha Quade is a much better bloke than JOC. the only reason you kiwi's hate him id for the whole knee to the head when every team in the world targets Macaw like that
You reckon? (Honest question)

IMO, just from what we've seen, heard (granted, from the media that loves to have a go - over here at least) from him that while not the Dr. Evil of the world, is a bit of a dick.

To me, JOC just seems like e's a bit egotistical/up himself. Which is a bit of a negative trait I suppose. Don't know either bloke,. but can only go with what I see from the rugby field. And haven't seen any dicki-ish moves from JOC in that context.

Could be wrong (of course) and perfectly fine if a member of the Cooper family can share some stories. :p

Cooper deserves the criticism in my opinion - he made the game far too much about him getting into the wallabies, rather than his team winning the game. Sure he showed how excellent he can be in broken play, but I don't think he played a mature game. Its all very well constantly looking to play at high tempo, but you need to make sensible decisions. Take the last play of the game, when the Reds had a penalty , score 12 - 22 , and Quade immediately quick-tapped. Any sensible person would take the 3 points, so that you then at least have a shot of getting the draw. He constantly played the showy flair game, when the only game that was ever going to beat the lions was a mixture of that and sensible take your chances + get field position. I really rate him was a player, but nothing he did really showed that he has the maturity and rounded game to merit a place in tests against the lions, or other top opposition.