• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Time for Fiji to Step Up..

J

Juggernaut

If there's ever a time for Fiji to step and beat the Wallabies, this RWC game in France would be a good start. Afterall, the Wallabies are gonna help us by "resting" Steve Larkham & some other key players.

Fiji will gain a reprieve during the World Cup, with Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham expected to be rested for that pool match to ensure he is able to complete the tournament.

It appears the plan is for the Wallabies to play their best line-up in their first two pool matches - against Japan in Lyon on September 8, and Wales in Cardiff a week later. They will then rest several key players from the Fiji match in Montpellier on September 23, in readiness for the finals. [/b]

Looks like Knuckles is saving him for the Semifinal showdown against the ABs....might be his death sentence if somehow Fiji steps up a notch and cause an upset.

Fingers crossed that the Aussies go through with this plan.

If there's ever a time for Fiji to step and beat the Wallabies, this RWC game in France would be a good start. Afterall, the Wallabies are gonna help us by "resting" Steve Larkham & some other key players.

Fiji will gain a reprieve during the World Cup, with Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham expected to be rested for that pool match to ensure he is able to complete the tournament.

It appears the plan is for the Wallabies to play their best line-up in their first two pool matches - against Japan in Lyon on September 8, and Wales in Cardiff a week later. They will then rest several key players from the Fiji match in Montpellier on September 23, in readiness for the finals. [/b]

Looks like Knuckles is saving him for the Semifinal showdown against the ABs....might be his death sentence if somehow Fiji steps up a notch and cause an upset.

Fingers crossed that the Aussies go through with this plan.

[/b]

i dont think the Aessies have much to worry about from Fiji, i think that they play a quick enough ruck game to stop the Fijians getting any sort of defensive pattern going, and that will be their downfall.

I think for Fiji, their big step up this world cup will have to be against Wales.. i really think that they should be able to put one over them if they play their best footy..

I agree, if the Welsh put out some of the performances they've shown us recently, then we're going to be in big trouble come Fiji time, let alone Australia time.
The Fijians are a problem and they've proved it before, but it's World Cup time - everyone steps it up for world cup...except for certain players in black. :p

Not really a worry to be honest, we easily beat the Fijians playing our 2nd team. Fiji should be concentrating on beating Canada and Japan because I reckon those two teams can beat Fiji on a good day.

Fiji have a great chance to get to the semi-finals if they play the rugby they are good at and that is seven man rugby. if they can put that fast pace into their game they can give a surprise or two

Not really a worry to be honest, we easily beat the Fijians playing our 2nd team. Fiji should be concentrating on beating Canada and Japan because I reckon those two teams can beat Fiji on a good day. [/b]

Not quite, Australia beat Fiji 49-0 this year however if you are claiming that it was an Australia B team then you would have to call it a Fiji C team! The Australia team was a mixture of first choice players (Gregan, Larkham, Tuqiri etc) with a number of second choice players, though 19/22 players involved for Australia are now involved in their rugby world cup squad. Fiji on the other hand were still experimenting with their players, and only 11/22 players (six of the starting team) included in their rugby world cup squad. So although Australia can claim to had a weak team, Fiji sent a much weaker team!

A much better judge of Fiji's strength was the 14-14 Draw with Australia A two weaks latter, as the Fiji team was basically at full strength for the game (all of there starting lineout from their rugby world cup squad). In this game Austrlia A were lucky to come away with a draw!

I don't think a full strength Fiji team will come close to a full strength Australian team (if they rest Larkham and co it could be interesting) , however on their day they could give Wales a close game (conversely they could also play really poorly and give Canada or Japan a close game :unsure: )

Dont forget Ilivasi Tabua brought in Australian backline coach greg mumm and a forward coach from Australia to help input new plays and skills.