• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Todd Clever

• Thread starter Canadian_Rugger
  • Start date
C

Canadian_Rugger

He is considered a messiah by many in American rugby circles but I want to know from the people who have seen him play Super 14 how do you rate him

From what I've seen of him he looks the goods. Not a star yet by any means, but at the rate he's progressing he could be a very good player by the end of the Super 14. Scored his first Super 14 try against the 'Canes last weekend.

Only ever seen him ply 7s but he's certainly excellent at that. Fast, strong and a heavy hitter!

Same, mainly saw him play Sevens and always been impressed by the guy - Also, he had a "descent" world cup, if i remember correctly he was a big part of that great try the USA scored against S.A during the last world cup.

I have to say, even if he's average player by S14 standard, it's still good to see players from smaller rugby nations competing at the higher levels, can only do good for U.S.A Rugby, and that's great imo

From what i've seen from him in the super 14, he has size speed and pretty good work rate. No doubt this level of competition will add to him as skill and experience

He's a great athlete, as long as he keeps starting he'll really improve and become a big name in Super 14.

I've always had time for Todd Clever, he's a good back row forward and the captain of the USA team.
I also remember seeing him knocking lumps out of someone during a 7s match, it was like MMA.

http://rugbydump.blogspot.com/2009/03/supe...ek-round-7.html

Todd Clever's try is the 2nd to last one.

I must add that even in a country like SA, where there are a lot rugby critics, nobody has anything bad to say about Todd Clever. He's not set the stage on fire but he's not that type of flash player anyway. He's brought more than his part to the fore and is a valuable team member of the Lions.

Most of my players love the guy...he's sort of America's Rugby Hero. I'm glad to see him doing well.

I'm in the sports broadcasting industry and I'm based in Johannesburg, which of course is home to the Lions. I was chatting to their coach Loffie Eloff a few nights before the match against the Brumbies, and he was singing the praises of Todd, saying he would definitely start against the Brumbies, which of course he did. I've been trying to line-up an interview with the guy, but he's so in demand it's scary. He's also developed a bit of a cult following in SA, with a lot of people I know, including myself, paying more attention to him on the field than the actual game.

He's a very good player, and highly rated by all the rugby folk I've spoken to.

For once I can say, thank you America....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DNAPlay @ Apr 9 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm in the sports broadcasting industry and I'm based in Johannesburg[/b]

Do tell... with a pm so as to not go off topic.

I love Todd Clever. That is all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DNAPlay @ Apr 9 2009, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm in the sports broadcasting industry and I'm based in Johannesburg, which of course is home to the Lions. I was chatting to their coach Loffie Eloff a few nights before the match against the Brumbies, and he was singing the praises of Todd, saying he would definitely start against the Brumbies, which of course he did. I've been trying to line-up an interview with the guy, but he's so in demand it's scary. He's also developed a bit of a cult following in SA, with a lot of people I know, including myself, paying more attention to him on the field than the actual game.

He's a very good player, and highly rated by all the rugby folk I've spoken to.

For once I can say, thank you America....[/b]

You're Welcome... :D

Well we all know the next big rugby talent to come out of USA is Nate Rowlan. Late developer, but i think he'll be a shoe-in for tighthead in 2011.

The USA investment in age grade is starting to pay off but most importantly the fact that the player base is steadily increasing aswell. The US has close to 70,000 registered players which is more then scotland and on par with Italy. We are going to start seeing more quality emerge from the United States as a result. They have the population to make it happen.

Well, I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I did slightly play on the same club as he did. I lived in San Diego for a while, but was rarely in town to play Rugby, but when I did it was OMBAC, which he was a star. I was way below that level. Never the less, been on the same pitch at the same time with him doing rugby stuff...haha. Seemed nice enough.

Check this geezer out ^^^^^^ :p
Thought he was excellent against the Chiefs last weekend before he went off injured.
Clever, that is, not Nate. :D

I love seeing any north american player doing well abroad too bad hes not canadian :p i've actually downloaded (dont tell anyone) all the lions matches this season just to see him play, seems like he suits his role quite well. He's gotta lose the hair in my opinion

Latest posts