• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Told Your Friends?

Originally posted by stranger@Oct 27 2005, 08:41 PM
I'm one of very few americans who follow rugby :(
same here, I'm the only person I know who likes rugby enough to post on a forum.

Ive told freinds but when my local youth team get their website I will add a advertisement on it!

[/b]
Yeah...having a conversation in America about rugby is pointless. Here is just the burial ground for American Footballers who didn't make it after HS and College (no offense, I only learned and started playing after a shoulder injury in college football), so everyone's opinion of it is more of a drinking club that like to beat others up. Hopefully that is changing. But, still, even within the American Rugby community it's hard to have a conversation about current rugby statistics or matches or players. Good thing I married an EU citizen, we're planning on moving so I can watch more rugby, oh, and to be close to her family.
lineout.jpg

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yeah...having a conversation in America about rugby is pointless. Here is just the burial ground for American Footballers who didn't make it after HS and College (no offense, I only learned and started playing after a shoulder injury in college football), so everyone's opinion of it is more of a drinking club that like to beat others up. Hopefully that is changing. But, still, even within the American Rugby community it's hard to have a conversation about current rugby statistics or matches or players. Good thing I married an EU citizen, we're planning on moving so I can watch more rugby, oh, and to be close to her family.
lineout.jpg

[/b][/quote]

i'd like to know, in your opinion, which one is the toughest between US football and rugby ? do you think US footballers could be performant without their "armor" against a rugby team ?
for me its undoubtly rugby !!!

btw i can't tell any of my friends about TRF 'cause they are all french and it implies that none of them sepaks english ...

Good thing I married an EU citizen, we're planning on moving so I can watch more rugby...
[/b]

If there was ever a GREAT reason to move country THAT would be it...

...oh, and to be close to her family.
[/b]

...but there are always drawbacks. ;)

I'm currently trying to update the website for the rugby shop i work in.
Someone messed it up pretty badly, but i'm getting around to making it looking better, we gotten someone new to design another website for us and so when that's completed i'll put in a link for this site on there.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
lineout.jpg

[/b][/quote]

i'd like to know, in your opinion, which one is the toughest between US football and rugby ? do you think US footballers could be performant without their "armor" against a rugby team ?
for me its undoubtly rugby !!!

btw i can't tell any of my friends about TRF 'cause they are all french and it implies that none of them sepaks english ...
[/b][/quote]

the best way ive heard it summed up is like this

american football is a collision sport

as where

rugby is a contact sport

the reason for the pads in american football is because its running from the sideline and laying someone out, whereas in rugby to take someone down, wrapping and correct form is more important than just trying to lay someone out.

the best way ive heard it summed up is like this

american football is a collision sport

as where

rugby is a contact sport

the reason for the pads in american football is because its running from the sideline and laying someone out, whereas in rugby to take someone down, wrapping and correct form is more important than just trying to lay someone out.
[/b]
Fairly good analogy. The pads in American Football, actuall made the game more prone to contact. People stop seeing themselves as vincible (the opposite of invincible?) and look at themselves as human battering rams. In rugby, you look after yourself a bit more, plus there's rarely the wide open head on tackles that Football alla American presents. Don't get me wrong, Rugby is rough, but it's more like wrestling than like a car crash. Football players (i've been told) lower their life capacity by 10-20 years (this is based on pro-footballers).

Fairly good analogy. The pads in American Football, actuall made the game more prone to contact. People stop seeing themselves as vincible (the opposite of invincible?) and look at themselves as human battering rams. In rugby, you look after yourself a bit more, plus there's rarely the wide open head on tackles that Football alla American presents. Don't get me wrong, Rugby is rough, but it's more like wrestling than like a car crash. Football players (i've been told) lower their life capacity by 10-20 years (this is based on pro-footballers).
[/b]

That's just plain idiocy.
From the games i've watched it looks like no skill...just brute force. And all to lower your life capacity by 10 years. :rolleyes:
Rugby is probably more like wrestling than a car crash, but that's only coz a majority of the professionals out there haven't been tackled Brian Lima. :)

One thing I;ve always wondered about American Football - can you offload in the tackle?
If you can't that just makes it more boring for me, bad enough that you have to restart every time a bloke get's tackled. I know a guy who plays for an AF team from Cardiff (I think), and despite taking the mick out of him that Rugby's tougher (though I agree that you're more likely to break ribs in AF) we still turn down offers to coem play with them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 19 2005, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This might seem like a really obvious thing, but have you told your friends about TRF?

If you haven't, please tell them, unless of course, you don't think they'd be worthwhile. The more the merrier, and all that.[/b]

I have told to my friends exactly about this amazing web place but there was some problem with their language knowledge :lol: :lol: and unfortunately they forcibly refused to join TRF

I feel especially sorry for my 18 years old friend who plays rugby

Could be nice to see him here :mellow: :(

Teachers must work hard at schools for their pupils to know English well, otherwise they will loss the probability to joim the best forum in this world. :ranting:

Latest posts