• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toopi and Hall out for season

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...eds/7527093.stm

Leeds' hopes of retaining their Super League ***le have suffered a major blow after Ryan Hall and Clinton Toopi were ruled out for the rest of the season. Both were injured in the Challenge Cup semi-final loss to St Helens. Hall broke a foot bone and Toopi suffered a serious knee ligament injury.

New Zealand international centre Toopi could be out for up to a year and as a result will miss the World Cup.
He had already missed four months of the season with a dislocated shoulder.

"He's done his anterior cruciate ligament and he needs to get other work done too," coach Brian McClennan told the Yorkshire Evening Post. "He will be out for a long time, it will probably be around nine months and it could be a year. He's had a hell of a season, but there's nothing we can do about it."

The pair join Brent Webb, Rob Burrow, Ali Lauitiiti, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Ryan Bailey and Danny McGuire on a worryingly long Rhinos injury list.

"The knee gave way under me," said Toopi, who hobbled off five minutes before half-time. "I just felt like there was no support."

There are still six weeks of the Super League season to go, followed by the play-offs.

The World Cup then takes centre stage, kicking off on 25 October.

Saturday was a really, really bad day for Leeds. They will get by without the two players pretty comfortably I'd have thought (especially seeing as Toopi is one of the most undeservedly hyped players of the last 5 years) but they look like they've come apart I'll be honest.

Latest posts