• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 15 Must Have Player Faces For Each Country

I hope Mealamu makes it back as preferred starting hooker... I'm not really a fan of the man who likes killing seals for fun...

I think everyone has more than covered the big nations ill name those of lesser known nations, I hope the lesser nations get a better showing in this version than previous versions which have been disgraceful to say the least

I have to say for

america - Todd Clever, Paul Emerick, Mike Hercus

canada - Kevin Tkachuk, Justin Mensah-Coke, James Pritchard

Fiji - Mosese Rauluni, Seremaia Bai, Nicky Little, Ifereimi Rawaqa

Samoa - Gavin Williams, David Lemi, Junior Polu, Filipo Levi, Henry Tuilagi, Anitelia Tuilagi, Seilala Mapusua

tonga - Pierre Hola, Suka Hufanga

Namibia - Kees Lensing, Jacques Burger

Romania - Lucian Sîrbu, Sorin Socol, Bogdan Bălan, Ovidiu Toniţa

Portugal - Diogo Mateus, António Aguilar, João Correia, Vasco Uva, Gonçalo Uva

Georgia - Irakli Abuseridze, Merab Kvirikashvili, Akvsenti Giorgadze, Davit Zirakashvili

Spain - Pablo Feijóo, Leandro Aramburu, Gautier Gibouin

Uruguay - Joaquin Pastore, Manuel Martinez, Rodrigo Capo, Juan Horta, Mario Sagario

Japan - Hitoshi Ono, Takashi Kikutani, Tomoki Yoshida, James Arlidge, Yuta Imamura, Hirotoki Onozawa, Kosuke Endo

This is just an idea, but maybe you could put a creation tool online so people could make the players for you guys, If you said the teams it would be pretty easy to go through the squads and add players for the lesser teams, even if its just the correct names with height and weight

You missed Rupeni Caucaunibuca...

Man, I wish he carried on playing Super Rugby in NZ, he would've definitely made it in the All Blacks...

Man, I wish he carried on playing Super Rugby in NZ, he would've definitely made it in the All Blacks...

Im sure Rupeni declared publically that he doesnt want to play for Fiji anymore.. and he couldnt have made the All Blacks he played sevens for Fiji in 2001

He was a great player, up until he started acting like a superstar that he was built up to be. I think sivivatu is a much better all round player, he has way better positioning and instinct on defence than caucau

I think you would go mostly with starting XV's. With the exception of some. Using V99ish's list for example. Tony Woodcock or Chris Jack(not currently an AB anyway) might not be as important as a Rockocoko or Corry Jane. My rational for this is that forwards arent seen as often in the game and therefore if limited to 15 it might be better to include more flamboyant players. Also to be considered would be the mix. Eg The same players also play in S14 or Heineken Cup games so if the Crusaders have great faces and the Highlanders all generic it may take away from the game a little.

Just my thoughts.

Im sure Rupeni declared publically that he doesnt want to play for Fiji anymore.. and he couldnt have made the All Blacks he played sevens for Fiji in 2001

According to wiki, it says he wants to play for Fiji in the up coming WC.

On June 13, 2009, Caucau announced that he would no longer make himself available for Tests with the Flying Fijians. He said getting drafted for Test duty only brought him "bad luck." However on March 18, 2010, he went back on that decision stating a desire to play at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

I think you would go mostly with starting XV's. With the exception of some. Using V99ish's list for example. Tony Woodcock or Chris Jack(not currently an AB anyway) might not be as important as a Rockocoko or Corry Jane. My rational for this is that forwards arent seen as often in the game and therefore if limited to 15 it might be better to include more flamboyant players. Also to be considered would be the mix. Eg The same players also play in S14 or Heineken Cup games so if the Crusaders have great faces and the Highlanders all generic it may take away from the game a little.

Just my thoughts.

I understand the thinking, but I'd hate the backs to get all the special treatment. I still think its a waste of time to make faces unique, as long as the player can be recognised by the correct colour, weight, height and hair style thats enough for me.

According to wiki, it says he wants to play for Fiji in the up coming WC.

I doubt he will. He publicly declared that he didnt want to be any part of the Fijian team. I can see the coaches not selecting him to make an example of him.

He was a great player, up until he started acting like a superstar that he was built up to be. I think sivivatu is a much better all round player, he has way better positioning and instinct on defence than caucau

His problem wasnt acting like a superstar at all, quite the opposite really. He just wanted to be an average guy.

He got put on intense gym schedules and diets that dictated what he was to do all year round. He hated training and just wanted to enjoy KFC and home cooking like everyone else.
His bad behavior was mainly missing warm down and recovery sessions, his reasoning was that the game was over, he just wanted to go home and go to sleep.

I remember him being dropped from the Fijian squad a couple of years back because he decided to spend time with his family for an extra couple of days and missed the start of the training camp.

I always thought they should just cut the guy some slack. Let him eat KFC and not go to the gym, he is an amazing player without having those regimes.

Sivivatu is not in the guys league, Sivi may have better positioning on defence, but Rupeni is so much better on attack its not comparable.

Just my thoughts.
Dumbest suggestion yet. People's favorite players areoften in the forwards and they play equally a vital role. A better suggestion would be to make the forwards role more important in th game as apposed to dismissing half the teams importance.

Dumbest suggestion yet. People's favorite players areoften in the forwards and they play equally a vital role. A better suggestion would be to make the forwards role more important in th game as apposed to dismissing half the teams importance.

Thats harsh. Its not a dumb suggestion at all, i just dont think you understand it.

What hes saying is that if you can only have 15 unique faces per team it makes sense to make the 15 most recognizable faces rather than just the starting 15.

More often than not, the recognizable faces are from the backs. If you were to show the average New Zealander a picture of Tony Woodcock and a picture Richard Kahui i can guarantee you that Richard Kahui would be recognised by more people.

Richard Kahui isnt in the starting XV though, so it makes sense, from a marketing standpoint at the very least, to include Richard Kahuis unique face rather then Woodcocks. Even though hes in the XV.

The same goes for the Likes of Joe Roks, Luke McAllister, Piri Weepu, Jason Eaton and possibly Liam Messam. Recognizable faces

america - Todd Clever, Paul Emerick, Mike Hercus

I think with how awesome hes being doing in the European Cup and in actual French Rugby you need to include Takudzwa Ngwenya. His pace has took Europe by storm and is one of the best wingers around currently

I disagree I'd say Richie McCaw, Kevin Mealam, Tony Woodcock, Ali Williams, Brad Thorn are some if not the most recognisable faces in New Zealand rugby.

I disagree I'd say Richie McCaw, Kevin Mealam, Tony Woodcock, Ali Williams, Brad Thorn are some if not the most recognisable faces in New Zealand rugby.

You are kidding yourself mate. This isnt a "backs are better than forwards" shitfight. Its just plain fact.
If you seriously think that Kevin Mealamu and Tony Woodcock are more widely recognized than DANIEL CARTER, Richard Kaui, Luke McAllister, Mills Muliaina, Ma'a Nonu, Corey Jane and the like, then you are ridiculously mistaken.
Rugby followers appreciate the work that forwards put in. The general public wouldn't have the slightest clue of what gos on in the forward pack, let alone who they were.

The general public see the faces on the adds, they see Dan Carter on massive underwear billboards, Richard Kahui selling rexona, Mills has that powerade add.
Then theres the casual rugby follower (the kind that barely know whos playing, but get ****** at the games and watch a game every now and then, pretending to show an interest because thats "what NZers do", im sure you've all met the type) All they see is the tries being scored and the kicks going over, the people who score the tries and kick the kicks are the ones they notice and remember.

The only players from the forwards that would be up there recognition-wise with the backs would be
Richie McCaw, due to how long hes been around, the fact that he is captain and how he is always pumped up in the media.
Jason Eaton because of his facial hair
Rodney So'oialo because he has been around for a long time and with his dreads he is a noticeable character
Ali Williams because of his attention seeking personality and that "water for everyone" thing hes been promoting

Tony woodcock? not a chance.

jason eaton is useless. richard kahui wouldnt be as well known as woodcock or brad thorn or chris jack. and cory jane more recognizable than mealamu, and mccaw?

You are kidding yourself mate. This isnt a "backs are better than forwards" shitfight. Its just plain fact.
If you seriously think that Kevin Mealamu and Tony Woodcock are more widely recognized than DANIEL CARTER, Richard Kaui, Luke McAllister, Mills Muliaina, Ma'a Nonu, Corey Jane and the like, then you are ridiculously mistaken.
Rugby followers appreciate the work that forwards put in. The general public wouldn't have the slightest clue of what gos on in the forward pack, let alone who they were.

The general public see the faces on the adds, they see Dan Carter on massive underwear billboards, Richard Kahui selling rexona, Mills has that powerade add.
Then theres the casual rugby follower (the kind that barely know whos playing, but get ****** at the games and watch a game every now and then, pretending to show an interest because thats "what NZers do", im sure you've all met the type) All they see is the tries being scored and the kicks going over, the people who score the tries and kick the kicks are the ones they notice and remember.

The only players from the forwards that would be up there recognition-wise with the backs would be
Richie McCaw, due to how long hes been around, the fact that he is captain and how he is always pumped up in the media.
Jason Eaton because of his facial hair
Rodney So'oialo because he has been around for a long time and with his dreads he is a noticeable character
Ali Williams because of his attention seeking personality and that "water for everyone" thing hes been promoting

Tony woodcock? not a chance.
MYsky HDI Advert - Afoa, Mealamu and Tialata
Powerade - Anthony Boric, Jerome Kaino

None of whome you have mentioned in your list.

Just some of many you haven't mentioned. Despite this, I think a game with special faces for the backs and many generic faces for the forwards would ruin it. Thanks for informig me I am "ridiculously mistaken" and it's good to see a new member with the confidence to make an ass of themself ;). And good call to Alex.

jason eaton is useless. richard kahui wouldnt be as well known as woodcock or brad thorn or chris jack. and cory jane more recognizable than mealamu, and mccaw?

Of coarse Jason Eaton is useless, thats not the point! How good he is at rugby is completely irrelevant.

He is known around New Zealand as "that guy with the massive beard and he had an awesome handlebar moustache that one time" people who dont follow rugby that closely would recognise him

The same goes for Richard Kahui, this isnt about how good they are at rugby. He is the face of rexona, he has multiple adds that screen daily on national television. Tony Woodcock has a forgettable face, he isnt the face of a company, he doesnt appear on the cover of magazines like Kahui.

And Corey Jane is more recognizable than Mealamu. Mealamu does his job in the tight, rugby followers know who he is. Corey Jane is a pretty boy who changes hairstyles as often as beckham. Hes always in the highlights packages scoring trys, thats what people see. He isnt as recognizable as McCaw which is what ive already said.

Its a simple fact, backs tend to be more well known than forwards.

MYsky HDI Advert - Afoa, Mealamu and Tialata
Powerade - Anthony Boric, Jerome Kaino

None of whome you have mentioned in your list.

Just some of many you haven't mentioned. Despite this, I think a game with special faces for the backs and many generic faces for the forwards would ruin it. Thanks for informig me I am "ridiculously mistaken" and it's good to see a new member with the confidence to make an ass of themself ;). And good call to Alex.

There is a distinction between being "in an advert" and being the face of the entire company! Please tell me you can see the difference.
Those guys may have appeared in an ad, but guys like Kahui and Carter are the poster boys for the product. Sorry for not making you a definitive list, thats not what i was doing at all.

I never said that all the backs should have special faces and all the forwards have generic. I merely said that the most recognizable faces to the general public should be unique. Its simple marketing. This means that there would tend to be more unique faces for backs than forwards.

And you're welcome. Anyone who thinks Kevin Mealamu is more recognizable than Dan Carter is living in a dreamland and deserves to be pulled back to earth.

I dont see how the length of time i have been posting on this forum is relevant to anything. If your post count is something you pride yourself on then good on you.

Whos that in your sig by the way? Its not Olo Brown, Craig Dowd or Robin Brooke getting the attention for setting the platform, its Christian Cullen for scoring the try.

If it's the top 15 Players I'd most like to see then:

Ireland

New Guys:
Tommy Bowe
Keith Earls
Jamie Heaslip
Stephen Ferris
Rob Kearney
Luke Fitzgerald
Jonathan Sexton
Cian Healy
Tomas O'Leary