• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toulon's Money

allblacksfreak

Academy Player
Country Flag
Indonesia
Right, I'm not one who is knowledgeable with the Top 14, what I know or heard is that they're pretty loaded...

Now, I'm just curious about Toulon, I know that their owner is quite rich, but is he really that rich that he can finance all these big pays to these players? I recently read about Rocockocko being offered US$1 mil, and Sonny Bill's rejected a few million dollars too..

So, anyone care to enlighten me with info? Cheers.

Right, I'm not one who is knowledgeable with the Top 14, what I know or heard is that they're pretty loaded...

Now, I'm just curious about Toulon, I know that their owner is quite rich, but is he really that rich that he can finance all these big pays to these players? I recently read about Rocockocko being offered US$1 mil, and Sonny Bill's rejected a few million dollars too..

So, anyone care to enlighten me with info? Cheers.
Well, I can't tell you how rich they are exactly, however I can name you a few players who have signed for them in the last 4 or so seasons, since they made a move to get out of Pro D2.

Tana Umaga (NZ, former NZ Captain)
Anton Olliver (NZ, former NZ Captain)
Victor Matfield (SA, current vice captain)
George Gregan (AUS, Former Aus Captain)
Andrew Mehrtens (NZ)
Sonny Bill Williams
Jerry Collins (NZ)
Luke Rooney
Johnny Wilkinson (ENG)
Filipe Contepomi (ARG, current ARG captain)
Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (ARG)
Joe van Niekerk (SA)
Paul Sackey (ENG)
Rudi Wulf (NZ)
George Smith (AUS, former AUS captain)
Carl Hayman (NZ)
Rory Lamont (Scotland)

I mean, that's only within the last 3-4 years. It's obsurd. They've just signed Carl Hayman, Paul Sackey, George Smith, Rudi Wulf and are still spending!

Well he is pretty loaded but he's above all a very good businessman. Consequently, the club is very well sponsored and he actually doesn't use his personal money. At least that's what I heard...

Well, I can't tell you how rich they are exactly, however I can name you a few players who have signed for them in the last 4 or so seasons, since they made a move to get out of Pro D2.

Tana Umaga (NZ, former NZ Captain)
Anton Olliver (NZ, former NZ Captain)
Victor Matfield (SA, current vice captain)
George Gregan (AUS, Former Aus Captain)
Andrew Mehrtens (NZ)
Sonny Bill Williams
Jerry Collins (NZ)
Luke Rooney
Johnny Wilkinson (ENG)
Filipe Contepomi (ARG, current ARG captain)
Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (ARG)
Joe van Niekerk (SA)
Paul Sackey (ENG)
Rudi Wulf (NZ)
George Smith (AUS, former AUS captain)
Carl Hayman (NZ)
Rory Lamont (Scotland)

I mean, that's only within the last 3-4 years. It's obsurd. They've just signed Carl Hayman, Paul Sackey, George Smith, Rudi Wulf and are still spending!

You also missed out:

Jaime Robinson (Wales)
Tim Ryan
Ross Seakte
Santiago Dellapè (Italy)
Matt Henjak (Aus)
Pierre Mignoni (France)
Tom May (England)
Dean Schofield (England)
Sébastien Bruno (France)

Well he is pretty loaded but he's above all a very good businessman. Consequently, the club is very well sponsored and he actually doesn't use his personal money. At least that's what I heard...

Yes according to the DNACG report it is one of the best managed clubs in France. Their account book balance is postive actuqlly.

Wow, that is quite impressive actually... It's almost like a dream team isn't it? Now, any idea why they didn't win the Top 14?

Wow, that is quite impressive actually... It's almost like a dream team isn't it? Now, any idea why they didn't win the Top 14?

Because the Top14 is one of the hardest comp to win in the world, and you need more than just good players to win. You also need an amazing coaching staff, and a fair bit of luck.

Ask Clermont, who finally won it after 10 lost finals, with the last 3 in a row.

Also take into note they did better than Tolouse, who just won the Heineken Cup, as well as Biarritz, who were runner ups. They've also had a lot of time in the Pro D2 tornement, so this is quite a big step up. They're doing very well considering this is their second season in the Top 14. They have a good coaching staff (they just lost Tana Umaga as coach) but they have the legend Phillipe Saint-Andre coaching them.

"Foreign legion helps Toulon to lead in Top 14 war"
That's my favourite headline. (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ulon-to-lead-in-top-14-war-20100424-tkf0.html)

Toulon have deep pockets, a great owner, and have assembled an all star team for the last 2 seasons. Whith all the slagging coming from the Southern Hemisphere about Northern Hemisphere Rugby, I think they have to be completely blind to French Rugby. The Top 14 is an immensely physical competition. If you can ever watch the D2 rugby it's great fun, really physical, and always a good fight or two, lol.

images

Last edited:
Hmm, this Top 14 sounds pretty interesting, I guess I'll start watching it, when will the season start?

SO when will Matfield start playing for them?

He played for them before and went back to SA to play test rugby again against the Lions. Might see him move after the World Cup.

He played for them before and went back to SA to play test rugby again against the Lions. Might see him move after the World Cup.

Was already thinking the same.
The bulls will loose some power at the center.

Toloun will be an interesting side next year. Lost SBW but gained Hayman and a few others.

Yeah, something to look forward to, might head to France to see a couple of games if I find time for it.

Latest posts