• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toulouse for the super league

R

redunderthebed

I have heard that Toulouse Olympique are bidding for a SL side in 2009.I think a second french side is a good idea but of course its not that simple.I personally think adding another english side in 2009 on top of the sides that will already come in is overkill and more non-english sides would be better. :)

Discuss!

Another French team would be good but I think 2012 is more likely for them.

Another French team would be good but I think 2012 is more likely for them. [/b]

I agree with Vambo.

2012 is a more realistic proposition. [/b]

Why? if we dont embrace teams from outside england we are just going to have more northern teams already dividing further a already smallish pie.If we take teams like toulouse and CC we are expanding to areas where rugby league is developing (especially the french) then we expand our base.

With the franchise system in place teams dont have relegation hanging over them so they can build into long term strong teams.

<div class='quotemain'> Another French team would be good but I think 2012 is more likely for them. [/b]

I agree with Vambo.

2012 is a more realistic proposition. [/b]

Why? if we dont embrace teams from outside england we are just going to have more northern teams already dividing further a already smallish pie.If we take teams like toulouse and CC we are expanding to areas where rugby league is developing (especially the french) then we expand our base.

With the franchise system in place teams dont have relegation hanging over them so they can build into long term strong teams.
[/b][/quote]

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that we need to embrace other areas I'm not sure that we should rush into expansion just for the sake of it. It is vital IMO that we don't let traditional clubs such as Salford (major new stadium currently being built and the RFL need to promote RL in the Manchester area just as much as anywhere else IMO otherwise Sale Sharks will mop up all the floating voters) and Widnes to languish outside the SL purely to shoehorn other teams in.

Wales has definite potential and France has shown previously that RL can succeed there and I do believe that in time it will again but SL needs to remain competitive and sustain any growth and personally I think putting both a Welsh and another French team into SL this time around is a big, big risk.

They just aren't ready. Playing in the Super League costs a lot more money. Where are they going to get it from? Can they bring in high crowds to pay these higher wages? Can they be competetive at the highest level?

All questions I think Toulouse will, at this moment in time, struggle to answer.

They just aren't ready. Playing in the Super League costs a lot more money. Where are they going to get it from? Can they bring in high crowds to pay these higher wages? Can they be competetive at the highest level?

All questions I think Toulouse will, at this moment in time, struggle to answer. [/b]

Well as all the other candidates they have submitted in time their answer to this call for candidatures. They are very much supported by both the region and the city. They are investing in a new stadium. They want to repeat the success of the Catalan Dragons.

Toulouse by itself has much more economical potential than Perpignan and it should be easier to them to drain finance from the sponsorship.

There are also many Rugby fans that at the moment are mainly following Union but who could follow league too if top level Rugby League was played there.

Finally their Football team should be relegated at the end of the year to Ligue 2 and some of their fans that find Union too much complicated may be reconsider their opinion if they watch Rugby League.

Surely they wont not support them in ligue 2?. <_< [/b]

The TFC will receive less support. Many fans are recent fans due to the pretty good results obtained by this team this last couple of season. I don't think they will follow going to the Stadium Municipal if the TFC is relegated.

<div class='quotemain'> Surely they wont not support them in ligue 2?. <_< [/b]

The TFC will receive less support. Many fans are recent fans due to the pretty good results obtained by this team this last couple of season. I don't think they will follow going to the Stadium Municipal if the TFC is relegated.
[/b][/quote]

I see dont agree with it if it was my team i'd support them regardless of where they are in the league. But if it builds rugby league in france why not take advantage of it.....Celtic Crusaders fans alot of them used to be celtic warriors fans before the WFU took it away for example. :)

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Surely they wont not support them in ligue 2?. <_< [/b]

[/b][/quote]

I see dont agree with it if it was my team i'd support them regardless of where they are in the league. But if it builds rugby league in france why not take advantage of it.....Celtic Crusaders fans alot of them used to be celtic warriors fans before the WFU took it away for example. :)
[/b][/quote]

Anyway building a top level RL side in Toulouse won't be easy. RL has been vanishing these last twenty years and the youngest generations may not feel any kind of appeal with the resurgeance of this sport at top level in Toulouse.

Having said that Toulouse at this point in time is one of the very few places in France where this can happen.

Saturday, 19 April 2008
Carnegie Challenge Cup
Bradford 98-6 Toulouse

They're nowhere near ready.

Saturday, 19 April 2008
Carnegie Challenge Cup
Bradford 98-6 Toulouse

[/b]

I don't follow Toulouse Olympique but this is clear that if they are in the Super League they will change 75% of their team. This will concentrate the best RL French players in two teams plus a significant number of Oceanian players.

Furthermore this season the French Championship playoff dates collid with the Challenge Cup and I think the TO like Lézignan and Pia are prioritising the French Championship over the Challenge Cup.

<div class='quotemain'> Saturday, 19 April 2008
Carnegie Challenge Cup
Bradford 98-6 Toulouse

[/b]

I don't follow Toulouse Olympique but this is clear that if they are in the Super League they will change 75% of their team. This will concentrate the best RL French players in two teams plus a significant number of Oceanian players.

Furthermore this season the French Championship playoff dates collid with the Challenge Cup and I think the TO like Lézignan and Pia are prioritising the French Championship over the Challenge Cup.
[/b][/quote]

I see i think that they will be crap for a few seasons but that is to expected in new teams.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Saturday, 19 April 2008
Carnegie Challenge Cup
Bradford 98-6 Toulouse

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I see i think that they will be crap for a few seasons but that is to expected in new teams.
[/b][/quote]

Well if we look to the Catalans it took them more than two years to become a consistent side.

I just don't think there are currently enough French RL players of SL quality to suply 2 teams. Maybe in another 3 years there will start to be as Catalans begin to bring some homegrown players through the ranks.

Rumours are that Fakir as signed for USAP which would be a big blow for French RL.

I just don't think there are currently enough French RL players of SL quality to suply 2 teams. Maybe in another 3 years there will start to be as Catalans begin to bring some homegrown players through the ranks.

Rumours are that Fakir as signed for USAP which would be a big blow for French RL. [/b]

Djamel Fakir has played for Agen some years ago as far as I remember but decided to return to RL which has always been much more attractive to him.

There are always rumours of Catalans players such as Dubosc switching codes and going to USAP. Many RL fans in France are paranoid especially with respect to USAP.

Toulouse would be good, but that need to dominate the French League first. The main problem is lack of good players. Why is this? No International game thats why. Toulouse should look at keeping their best players and then gain some cheap Ocenia players who have "what it takes". This means scouting very hard to find good up and coming Aussie players with a cpl of Pacific Islanders who have speed and are hard hitting. Marketing is also worth money spent, make sure the public know with the Toulouse RL is playing, newspapers, radio, internet etc.
Rugby League really needs to be smarter about promotion of the game, its a great game that is crying out for some respect, a way forward by the IRLB would be a start.

Latest posts