• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Traveling to a Twickenham game with my 6 year old son - advice needed!

lestevesteur

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Hello, does anyone have advice on getting to/from Twickenham stadium for the England v. Australia game on 3rd Oct.

We're travelling by rail from the Guildford area, I'm taking my 6 year old son so I'd like to try and get away without too much hassle if possible.

Plan A:
We take train to Clapham Junction, change trains and exit to the game from Twickenham station. Afterwards I plan to walk to Whitton station and get on the train to Clapham Junction via Twickenham station. Would we avoid the worst queues by doing this?

Plan B:
Drive to Sunningdale railway station, take the train to Whitton station and go to the game from there. Return by the same way, but I'm reckoning there will a load of people doing the same thing heading out towards Reading?

Plan C: Train to Surbiton and then the 281 bus, should avoid a lot of the rush although the bus may take a while in traffic on match day:

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/281/

When you come off the platform turn left at the top of the steps, at the roundabout head down Claremont road and the bus stop is on your left outside Waitrose:

https://goo.gl/maps/mbMit1yeemB2

Thanks for this option, it looks viable. Only thing I'm not sure about is making sure we can get on the 281 bus after the game.

I live in Surbiton and I'll there for England Wales on Saturday, if we get a bus straight back I'll let you know how busy it is but I don't think it's usually a problem, it's not a well publicised route and the 281 runs every 3-10 minutes. However we usually hang around for a a few beers after the match...

Appreciate it, looks like a neat option especially as it involves minimal walking for a youngster. Don't curtail the beers Saturday on our account though :)

I live in Surbiton and I'll there for England Wales on Saturday, if we get a bus straight back I'll let you know how busy it is but I don't think it's usually a problem, it's not a well publicised route and the 281 runs every 3-10 minutes. However we usually hang around for a a few beers after the match...
Bah I've walked to Surbiton after a match before.....it took a while ;)

Bah I've walked to Surbiton after a match before.....it took a while ;)

Bah, I've got a dragon taxi from outside Cardiff station to Surbiton after midnight before! To be fair it was only about £275 which for an Wales England match is probably only 25% the cost of a couple of hotel rooms... I'll probably do that again! The taxi driver was quite amusing though, "How much to Surbiton mate?"... "Where's Surbiton?"... "well from here, kinda near Heathrow".

Hi lestevesteur,

I got the 281 pretty much straight after the Eng Wales game, walked down to the bus stop opposite the cabbage patch pub and there was a 281 sitting their waiting with a rugby steward assisting... no queue and the bus wasn't too busy, they even let us take our beers onboard!

https://goo.gl/maps/YaBVBovJoju

Haydn.

EDIT: Oh, I got the train via Clapham on the way there, that was *really* busy so you might want to consider the 281 on the way as well. Although the Fanzone at Richmond was very good and there's free shuttle buses between their and the stadium so getting to the Fanzone may sway your decision on the way.

Hi lestevesteur,

I got the 281 pretty much straight after the Eng Wales game, walked down to the bus stop opposite the cabbage patch pub and there was a 281 sitting their waiting with a rugby steward assisting... no queue and the bus wasn't too busy, they even let us take our beers onboard!

https://goo.gl/maps/YaBVBovJoju

Haydn.

EDIT: Oh, I got the train via Clapham on the way there, that was *really* busy so you might want to consider the 281 on the way as well. Although the Fanzone at Richmond was very good and there's free shuttle buses between their and the stadium so getting to the Fanzone may sway your decision on the way.

Thanks Haydn, really useful info. We'll do as you suggest and return to Surbiton on the 281 bus, we can then get the train back to Guildford from there.
Hadn't thought of going to the Fanzone beforehand, it could be fun for a 6 year old. If we do that we'll go via Clapham Junc and get off at Richmond rail (I guess). If we go early enough getting the train from Clapham Junc shouldn't be too bad?

We went up at 3pm for the 8pm kick off and the trains were busy! Couldn't get on the first train and the second one was a complete scrum to get on. I'm sure your 6yo would love the Fanzone, there's huge screens for the games, face painting, fair ground rides etc... and beer for you of course! Although the queues can be hectic for beer. If you have a mastercard take it along, there's fast lanes for the bar etc if you have one.

We went up at 3pm for the 8pm kick off and the trains were busy! Couldn't get on the first train and the second one was a complete scrum to get on. I'm sure your 6yo would love the Fanzone, there's huge screens for the games, face painting, fair ground rides etc... and beer for you of course! Although the queues can be hectic for beer. If you have a mastercard take it along, there's fast lanes for the bar etc if you have one.

Cheers, think we'll get up early and go to Fanzone before the game. I'm assuming the shuttle buses from there to the stadium aren't mobbed around 5pm.

Doubt it, we left 50 seconds before he end of the Samoa game (so 7ish?) And we're the first on the bus, double decker red jobby. It filled fairly quickly but there was another 3 behind waiting to go.

Thanks again for all your suggestions HaydnH, it's reassuring to know that we can get around without too much hassle. We just need the win now :victory:

Apart from the match result, the day in Twickenham was brilliant with no travel problems. Your recommendations were bang on HaydnH. Fanzone was entertaining, plenty to do with a 6 year old and no waiting for the shuttle bus afterwards. Getting the 281 bus after the match was easy and got us to Surbiton station in time for an earlier train than I had planned for. Back in Guildford by 11.30 - result! (well, off the field at least). Have a good tournament.

Latest posts