Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
sig-17825.jpg

The Rugby Forum is pleased to present our interview with World Cup winning prop, Phil Vickery!

The England and Lions captain, currently on a nationwide tour of the UK promoting his "Raging Bull" clothing brand in association with Debenhams UK, took time out to answer questions put forward by TRF Members over twitter about various topics including his career, the "Raging Bull" clothing brand, what it takes to be a top level prop and what it felt like flooring Olivier Magne.

So without further ado;

Hi Phil, thanks for taking the time out to answer our members questions today.

TRF.
(Conal) Who is the best/toughest prop you've ever scrummaged against?
Phil Vickery: The toughest prop would be Gary Pagel when he played for the Northampton Saints

TRF. (MunsterMan) Who is the funniest player you have ever shared a dressing room with?
PV: I'd say Jason Robinson. Wonderful player & a real laugh on and off the pitch

TRF: What are your favourite products in the Raging-Bull range?
PV: These are my favourite three: http://bit.ly/91LSoC,http://bit.ly/cSGSoW & http://bit.ly/cZ4z4W but I love them all

TRF. (Steve-o) Who had the greatest impact on you or inspired you the most in your professional rugby career?
PV: People from my early club days at Bude. Later watching guys like Mike Teague, Richard Hill & Jason Leonard

TRF. What inspiration have you taken for your clothing range?
PV: I just love being part of a strong brand, one that makes a statement. The more people I see wearing the clothes the prouder I am!

TRF. You're quite a manly chap - why start a clothing range?
PV: Proud to be manly! The brand is about strength and also having pride. I'm very proud of what I have done and my brand.

TRF. (M Two One) What do you personally think should and/or can be done to increase global interest in the sport?
PV: I think we should promote the game more at school and youth levels.

TRF. As a World Cup winner yourself with England in 2003, what do you think went wrong for the England football team?
PV: It's difficult to say! Being a football fan, it was so disappointing but have to say they didn't look like a team. When we won the world cup in 03, we had a great team & everyone put in 100% for the team - that was the most important thing.

TRF. (j-dawg) What advice would you give to a teenager who is aspiring to be a prop forward?
PV: I would just advise them to enjoy the challenge, and it takes time to become a top level pro.

TRF. (ORothlan) What, in your opinion, are the key physical/technical points to winning a scrum?
PV: The biggest thing about winning the scrum is getting into a better body position than your opposite man & keeping pressure on him.

TRF. Why do you think there is such a shortage of English tightheads forcing clubs to rely on imports?
PV: First problem English tight heads can be away a lot on England duty And also I don't think we are putting enough effort into coaching young props.

TRF. What's been the highlight of your career?
PV: Seeing my children born was awesome on a personal level, and my first cap for England and the lions and being a world champion is an awesome feeling!

TRF. What's your advice for someone who gets nervous the night before big matches and typically struggles to sleep well?
PV: I wish I knew. The only thing I would say is take confidence in your training and the guys around you they all want to help you.

TRF. (lucky number 7) What did it feel like to crush Olivier Magne?
PV: When that tackle took place it was a great feeling. The timing was so good, I didn't even feel the impact!

TRF. Thanks for your time today Phil, and best of luck with the Raging Bull brand and the upcoming season.
PV: Thanks for all your questions today!

To learn more about Phil Vickerys Raging Bull Clothing range, CLICK HERE
To follow TRF on Twitter, CLICK HERE
TRF

Last edited:
Uber cool, Vickery answered my question. Thanks to the admin who put in the effort.

Answered mine too, I indirectly spoke to Phil Vickery. I feel so ace lol

i thought the toughest prop hes scrummaged against would have been the beast during the lions tour

Pagel was a monster of a prop in his prime though; Did anyone ever better him throughout his career?

I bet John Hayes still sleeps like a baby thinking about scrummaging in the 2000 HEC final - Waking up every 2 hours covered in his own **** and screaming!

Last edited:
Pagel was a monster and a better prop than the Beast.

Like this one...

H - Cymro, why is it that you say Gordon D'Arcy is a sook?
C - My thorough investigation with a team of scientists, analysing him over years of rugby has suggested this.

Get him, King. ^_^

I'm gonna assume "sook" is an unflattering description? I'm unfamiliar with your Aussie-Welsh slang.

That was very bold Cymro! You say these things despite the knowledge of my fondness for Gordon D'ary. I am most disappointed. Most disappointed indeed! Tut tut

VICKERY LA-LA-LA! VICKERY LA-LA-LA!

Gloucester's finest professional export.

The Beast didn't look so good in the third test against Vicks when he was forced to scrummage legally. Garry Pagel had a 19 year old Vickery on toast during his Glaws debut!

Latest posts