• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TURNOVER HELL

G

GarVanNeath

I apoligise if this issue has already been covered elsewhere (it's such an obvious point that I guess it has).

I am playing World League on hard mode. My starting line up is pretty weak and I have only won 1 game out of 6 so I have gained sufficient points to buy better players.

I get turned over ALL the time, it's starting to p*ss me off big time.

It seems that you increase the risk of a turnover of you spread it wide and then get tackled, but I ofter get turned over repeatedly when I'm using the forward to try and smash through. I expect to get turned over where I go wide and get isolated but most of the turnovers are a joke, I've even got turned over after one of my forwards breaks through but then gets hauled down with loads of his guys in support.

My other big gripe is kick defence. Even with my team set to "kick defence", I usually find the opposing outside half kicking me back into my 22, the wingers and full back just don't cover the touchlines.

Any suggestions (keep it clean) ?

Thanks
<

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@Apr 7 2005, 03:56 AM
I apoligise if this issue has already been covered elsewhere (it's such an obvious point that I guess it has).

I am playing World League on hard mode. My starting line up is pretty weak and I have only won 1 game out of 6 so I have gained sufficient points to buy better players.

I get turned over ALL the time, it's starting to p*ss me off big time.

It seems that you increase the risk of a turnover of you spread it wide and then get tackled, but I ofter get turned over repeatedly when I'm using the forward to try and smash through. I expect to get turned over where I go wide and get isolated but most of the turnovers are a joke, I've even got turned over after one of my forwards breaks through but then gets hauled down with loads of his guys in support.

My other big gripe is kick defence. Even with my team set to "kick defence", I usually find the opposing outside half kicking me back into my 22, the wingers and full back just don't cover the touchlines.

Any suggestions (keep it clean) ?

Thanks
<
Simple - you need to purchase forwards with better rucking stats i'm afriad. Its nothing to do with your tactics or ability, just boring old stats!

I also think it's a glitch in the gameplay. The backs never go into rucks in my experience.

Put a fast flanker as your centre. Also use the hold possession button when YOU are tackled (R3)

use the hands in the ruck button!!!!!

as you are getting tackled, not after, hold the button down, bind a few guys in the ruck, dont let go of the hands in ruck button until the scrumhalf is there, then let go and pass the ball...

this has improved my rucking a great deal (thank sharksfan for discovering it)

you do give away a few penalties at first, but you will get used to it... i can now win a lot of rucks playing against england on hard (formerly impossible)...

this new method has improved the game a great deal for me, making more like real rugby....

btw... you can tell if your doing it right if the arrow stays above the ruck, then when you release the button, the arrow goes above the scrum half.

good luck!

i am definatly going to try that i am having the same problem. i have no problem playing if i have a good team on hard but on hard in the world league i am having trouble scoring tries let alone winning games. I have drawn 1 game 7-7 and the most tries i have scored in a game is 2. i think i have scored 4 tries in like 2 seasons so that is dumb. just keep getting turned over all the time. but definatly going to try this tactic. and it would be good to use on multiplayer if i can get it going.

good stuff!!!!

Thanks for your help guys, I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Gay-Guy, you referred to the "hold possession" button being R3, I was not aware of such a button. I guess this would be clicking down on the left thumbstick ?

Bokean's "hands in the ruck" advice is interesting, I usually get penalised when I try this to turn over the other team, didn't know it was a method of retaining the ball yourself.

As you say, when I can get better players in my squad, the problem won't be so bad, but it's a Catch 22, can't win to get the points for better players. Got same problem as Woosah, I've lost all but one of my 7 or so world league games on hard, my only win being 3-0 against Brescia !

Do you know if you have to repeatedly tap "A" to get your foward sin the ruck or just hold it down ?

yeah ive just started to do this, i do get penalized alot for it, and i know why aswell, a combo of timing, and just generally losing posetion. but before i started i was like, ok im getting a good as lock, and just kick upfeild and win line outs. now i think i should invest in a speedy back, pref. a wing or centre. so what should i do? a foward (proberly johnson) or a back, (caucau, tupiki or atinga)

I wish I had learned this tactic before I won World league on Hard........

<

and forgot the save trick.......so that my 2nd and 3rd division trophies weren't saved to profile - despite a profile save at a few points I had saved the tournament itslef...come back....and THEN saved to profile....now have no bronze or silver trophies as in the trophy full screen (paused and examined it on tv)...just gold trophy....the frustration is killing me....

as I have every ***le and trophy.banner etc for everything except - 6 nations and the two world league lower division cups that I DID bloody win (1st place)....damn it!

Could have unlockables by now...
<

Ur a mug if u think there r unlockables. U did believe u knew the make-up of the Lions squad b4 every1 else thou...

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@Apr 7 2005, 07:17 PM
Gay-Guy, you referred to the "hold possession" button being R3, I was not aware of such a button. I guess this would be clicking down on the left thumbstick ?
Clicking down and holding on the RIGHT thumbstick.

You hold on to the ball and it becomes unplayable for as long as you are holding down the stick. As soon as you let go of it the player with the hands on the ball tries to play it on the ground.

Now there are a lot of theories as to when a player who is holding on to the ball should "play it" Because it is only early days then you should try and experiment this dark devious technique. Some techniques already mentioned in threads include.

Put one player into the ruck
Put all your players into the ruck then play it.
Play it when the first opposition player goes into lie down position.
Wait for ref to decide who gets the scrum or penalty.
Play it before they hit the ground
Play it the MOMENT they hit the ground

I've handled the ball an awful lot in the ruck, just as soon as the tackle is made, but I ended up doing it too much against the Aussies with the ABs and I got three men binned. I've tried the 'holding on to the ball' thing as well and it has seemed to work, although I'll need to test to make sure.

i tried the "hands in ruck thing", it did seem to work coz I was not getting turned over so much. It's funny, coz when you have been tackled and turned over, if you hold it down then you kill the ball. If the power bar is in favour of the opposition, this generally leads to a penalty against you, but if the power bar is in your favour, you usually get a scrum and prevent the turnover.

Problem is that you can't tell which way the ruck will go, once you've pressed and held the hand sin ruck button, when you've been turned over then if you let go you give away a penalty at that point.

I've re-configured the buttons on my controller, when you say you click on the right controller, what's the actualy button "number". Clicking my right controller is actually button 12 on my controller, which does not seem to have a designation in the manual. Perhaps you mean button 10 ("kill ball/use hands") ?

There must be an art to this killing ball/using hands, sometimes it works a treat, other times you're penalised. Bokean's tip seems to work but not always. Definitely getting less turnovers with it, game's is a lot more enjoyable now.

I'll have to experiment - will let you know if I "discover" anything.

i found it works better when isolated. if its a forward close to the pack - i give away quite a few penalties... but when isolated it works ...hmm...85% of the time(depending on oposition of couse)

it does make the game more enjoyable - and i dont mind getting penalised for not releasing the ball (the commentators actually said that), because its realistic
<
<
<

Had to laugh, first time I did it the opposing forwards got ****** and a big fight started.

This sort of adds a new aspect to the game, trying to bend the rules during forward play. You'd have thought that they'd have mentioned this in the instruction manual
<

its cool because you can acctually see the player holding the ball, then when you release - you see him let go
<

this is a really cool discovery - once again ea doesnt even mention it :8

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@Apr 8 2005, 10:32 AM
Had to laugh, first time I did it the opposing forwards got ****** and a big fight started.

This sort of adds a new aspect to the game, trying to bend the rules during forward play. You'd have thought that they'd have mentioned this in the instruction manual
<
They do but it is all very vague, you have to look at what it says implicitly as they are not making it obvious........like the "JLR secrets"

Good it is not so obvious as I may have an edge when I play my first multiplayer tounament during the holidays against my rivals.
<
<
<
<

Only thing about using this "hands in ruck" button is that you can give away an awful lot of penalties.

It's a bit easier on x box coz of the control set up, clicking on right thumbstick is very accessible and can be done easily.

With my pc, I'm using x box controller, via an adapter. I've re-configured buttons (with some difficulty) and my button 10 (hands in ruck, aim right at lineout, etc) is my START button.

Those familar with the x box controller will know that this is underneath the left thumbstick, so to press it quickly is quite difficult.

Only way I'm going to be able to set it up so that I can access "button 10" quickly is to buy a pad with 4 shoulder buttons and configure button 10 as one of the shoulder buttons.

Anyone know of a control pad for pc they'd recommend ?

Thinking about Logitech Rumblepad 2.

Andrew Blowers

Darren Fox

and Corne Krige

Great forward

Northampton by the way

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@Apr 11 2005, 03:19 AM
Only thing about using this "hands in ruck" button is that you can give away an awful lot of penalties.

It's a bit easier on x box coz of the control set up, clicking on right thumbstick is very accessible and can be done easily.

With my pc, I'm using x box controller, via an adapter. I've re-configured buttons (with some difficulty) and my button 10 (hands in ruck, aim right at lineout, etc) is my START button.

Those familar with the x box controller will know that this is underneath the left thumbstick, so to press it quickly is quite difficult.

Only way I'm going to be able to set it up so that I can access "button 10" quickly is to buy a pad with 4 shoulder buttons and configure button 10 as one of the shoulder buttons.

Anyone know of a control pad for pc they'd recommend ?

Thinking about Logitech Rumblepad 2.
Then learn how to do it properly...no offense.

I do it on PS2 now and the game is better than it has ever been - I only get penalised when I have been mega-isolated, as I should be.

It's an issue of timing for you obviously and you need to go to the practise mode and work on it....It takes a couple of games to get down even a few.

But this tactic has made the game twice as good and twice as competitive in some ways......becasue:

the propensity to do it always does lead to some penalties for isolation and holding on - this leads to points or field position to the AI and results in more realsitic tactics and running by your team - remember always running your winger back in-field because you knew you'd turn it over regardless.........those days are over.

I really like the game again now and thank, I think it was Sharkfan, for coming up eith it.

As for you harrison2468......

Do a search on screenshots of the unlockable teams...their uniforms, squads etc...and read the thread about where an xbox owner has already unlocked one allstars team.....

You're probably just too **** to win enough tourneys on hard level to unlock everything.....so whose the mug buddy?

As for the Lions team - it was announced on the radio on April 5..(not 1)....and I put it up straight away as an interest thing for people....so it was wrong....let's just see how close it was to the actual make-up of the real squad eh? In the meantime choke on your own cock.

<

My estimation of sqaud would still be something like:

16 English
14 Welsh
9 Irish
5 Scottish

Latest posts