• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Two major questions locks???

L

lionmaul

Does the computer win 90% of rucks or more on the hard setting like in past game, does it feel like it is cheating, or do they just increase there overal play???
If a big ass forward comes crashing in on 1 little old back, will the forward win the ruck??

Can you dummy pass??

Originally posted by lionmaul@Feb 6 2005, 01:37 AM
Does the computer win 90% of rucks or more on the hard setting like in past game, does it feel like it is cheating, or do they just increase there overal play???
If a big ass forward comes crashing in on 1 little old back, will the forward win the ruck??

Can you dummy pass??

No! They don't just win lots more rucks!, The AI uses set plays more, puts bigger hits and keeps a great defence on hard.... in fact, it's not hard at all, it's nearly impossible!!!!

Yes, without a doubt

Can you dummy pass??

No.

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 6 2005, 09:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 6 2005, 09:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lionmaul
@Feb 6 2005, 01:37 AM

Can you dummy pass??

No! They don't just win lots more rucks!, The AI uses set plays more, puts bigger hits and keeps a great defence on hard.... in fact, it's not hard at all, it's nearly impossible!!!!

Yes, without a doubt

Can you dummy pass??

No. [/b]
No dummies, no that is dum in itself.??? You sure locks??? you have the manual to??? And this is why I think Sidhe could make the best Union game, dummies are pretty standard play in rugby and Sidhe's Rugby League has sidesteps, shoulder charge, dummies,and fends.
Cheers and Salu

I am sure dummies will be in there somewhere. You will probably find its the old left pass then right pass before the player actually passes and vice versa.

in the new zealand vs wales new gameclip the commentator says ' (some name), taking no dummie' and altho it doesnt look much like a dummie its gd enough for me. Any1 else picked up on that?

Originally posted by betsen fan@Feb 7 2005, 05:18 AM
in the new zealand vs wales new gameclip the commentator says ' (some name), taking no dummie' and altho it doesnt look much like a dummie its gd enough for me. Any1 else picked up on that?
Yes it's near the end of the "In game footage - Wales v New Zealand - Kick off and some general play" video.

Dummies only work in real life with our first person view. Sports games are third person views so the chances of falling for a dummy are very rare against a human player as they see the bigger picture and defend from a team perspective rather than from an individual one.

Dummies would have only been good if it worked on AI controlled players in your team where they followed the pass. This would have forced the human to do proper convert and tackle rather than the cheap let the computer tackle. A bit like how players in JLR would try and create mauls by running away from the human controlled player and into an A.I one.

I agree that dummies would not be useful in a rugby game but it looks gd when the ball carrier is running a diagonal, dummie passes, sidesteps and then runs straight.

Has any one tried the old left pass then right pass to see if you can dummy a pass???
Cheers and Salu

Originally posted by lionmaul@Feb 18 2005, 02:04 AM
Has any one tried the old left pass then right pass to see if you can dummy a pass???
Cheers and Salu
yeah.... doesn't seem to work!

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 18 2005, 05:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 18 2005, 05:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lionmaul
@Feb 18 2005, 02:04 AM
Cheers and Salu
yeah.... doesn't seem to work! [/b]
I think Locks went into it in one of his reviews -- passing was uber slick and very responsive. He said it felt great. Once you pressed the button, you passed. Therefore, EA/HB might have foregone the dummy pass (which would need a moment of hesitation in the animation in order to register the dummy button sequence) for slick straightforward passing.

Or so it seems to me.

Rubbish
<

Dummys work just fine in a 3rd person rugby game.

Think of this, you've got two guys running at you, one with the ball... Your defending and your doing your best to keep them both under crontrol, keeping an eye on both and trying to work out if the ball carrier is going to pass, step, run right at you, try and run around you, rah rah rah. At the last second your going to have to make a choice, do you tackle the current ball carrier or do you take down the the guy outside (or perhaps inside, for that matter), because you've put the ball carrier under too much pressure and the time for an offload has come?

If the ball carrier does a dummy your instinct is (most of the time) to do some quick math and pull that defender onto the supporting runner. Seeing as it was just a dummy you've just put your lone defender onto a player that doesn't have the ball, and the other guy can sail thru for the try.

Dummys are very effective.

It's just like saying that a sidestep only works in 1st person.

I'm a special move supporting as you could probably gather
<

Jamie Gough

Perhaps EA/HB should have made it (for PS2 anyway) that while holding L2 (seeing as it does nothing anyway, so I'm lead to believe) then followed by a press of either of the pass triggers (L1 or R1) results in a dummy to the respective direction.

That would work.

Jamie Gough

Latest posts