• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20 Summer Series

I've not followed Scottish selections at u20 level, but only 5 players from English clubs and 1 more from SA. Maybe English league rule changes are having an impact and they are having to rely more on what they have invested in and nurtured domestically. Hence them having a dip from their already low base.

I expect Italy to win that group. Georgia apparently haven't had the opportunity to play together at this level for a long time and are expected to improve.

This could be the blueprint for an expanded 6 Nations.
3 fixtures in groups 3 consecutive weeks
Week off
Play offs semi finals and 5-8 with final round to get winners doen to 8th.

I know issue would be getting everyone enough home fixtures, but with some thought it could work and still gets 5 matches over 6 weeks.

If they ever expanded they would just keep a single round robin format.

Anything more would be messing too much

Nice result for Wales pipping Italy. Georgia stick 8 tries past Scotland (albeit again largely reliant on the pack sadly).

Nice result for Wales pipping Italy. Georgia stick 8 tries past Scotland (albeit again largely reliant on the pack sadly).
Why are they playing games on a wedneaday? Forgot this game was happeneing until it was too late, oh well. Wales are certainly much inproved from the 6n. A number of players who look ready to step-up to professional level as well which ia great to see.

Worrying to see Scotland struggle so badly though!

Worrying to see Scotland struggle so badly though!

Scotland has always been a country where things have to get a lot worse before things can get better. To me it is encouraging that despite one of their three u16 sides being based in south England, the numbers of players raised in other union territories seems to be declining in the u20s (hopefully due to English league eligibility changes and the increase in residency duration). Surely if this trend continues the Scottish union will have to focus on the revolutionary notion of casting the net wider at age grade and engaging with Scottish kids across the country and across social backgrounds.

Maybe then I'll be able to support a truly Scottish side, rather than watch a union whose idea of a good u20 tournament is if the English u20s are doing well and we can nab a bunch of them when they wake up one morning feeling Scottish (typically around the time they realise they'll never be selected for their first choice nation).

Wales u20s have seemed to improve the past two years. As others have said Hawkins looks pretty handy, he's had quite a bit of game time for Ospreys as well already and hasn't looked out of place which is what you want from a 20yo. I thought at the start of the tournament Tshiunza's carrying wasn't great. Was going in way too high and looking for the offload too much (as though he was still playing Uni rugby). He learned quickly though and really grew into the tournament. Him and Jenkins look like a pretty decent 2nd row paring for the future. I was also rather impressed with Harri Houston, i have no idea how many players he has beaten over the tournament but it must be a silly high amount.

Didn't know Hawkins was a good place kicker either. That 13 Grady is a big lump as well isn't he.

While we definitely look improved and Italy are a good under 20 side it's important to put this final into context in terms of the teams we've beaten. Looking forward to the final though. Hopefully we can keep the score respectable but not sure we will.

Not sure on Grady, I've seen him have a few games for Cardiff and he's done alright to be fair but often some of these bigger backs struggle when they get to pro level and find others just as big. He does seem to lose the ball in contact a bit too much although I'll give him the benefit of doubt at the moment and call that youthful exuberance

Not sure on Grady, I've seen him have a few games for Cardiff and he's done alright to be fair but often some of these bigger backs struggle when they get to pro level and find others just as big. He does seem to lose the ball in contact a bit too much although I'll give him the benefit of doubt at the moment and call that youthful exuberance
Yeah, happened once or twice yesterday as well. One to keep an eye on though

I really like the look od Grady. Important to remember that he spent a decent amount of last/this season injured. He's a big lump, but is quick and skillful to boot. Maybe some work to do in contact, but hopefully that'll come.

Hawkins is a superb prospect, poasibly the best all round talent we've produced since Henson. For the U20's this season he's scored try's by picking good angles and crashing over, he's sent out pinpoint cross field kicks for the wingers to score in the corner, he's slotted in at 10, and he's a leader. Looked at home when he's pkayed for the Ospreys too. He could be the 12 I've been praying for since Henson lost his head.

Baby Boks get revenge for their big brother.

Speaking of revenge. England didn't get it. :p

Been quite disappointing from an England point of view.

Latest posts