• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Union vs League

Which type do you prefer/love Union or league ?

• Union, all the way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • League, screw Union

• A bit of both, I'm flexible

• Neither, Rugby is rubbish

• Total voters
S

Saint N Sinner

I am a fullon Union fan, but dont mind a bit of League now and again.

League is the crappy game that inbread people from Leeds invented because they can't understand the rules to a propper game of rugby. And are also too scared to get involved in a propper ruck.

You may guess where my preferences lay.

BTW, isn't there a whole forum dedicated to Union vs League called 'The Great Debate'?

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 6 2005, 11:38 AM
League is the crappy game that inbread people from Leeds invented because they can't understand the rules to a propper game of rugby. And are also too scared to get involved in a propper ruck.

BTW, isn't there a whole forum dedicated to Union vs League called 'The Great Debate'?
There is, where there are rules that points must be PROPERLY REASONED, so start doing it!

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Mar 6 2005, 12:39 PM
There is, where there are rules that points must be PROPERLY REASONED, so start doing it!
What was that St_Helens?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Singing die die union union die.[/b]

<

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 6 2005, 11:38 AM

Was it not 'the people from Leeds' (sic.) that were so good at Union all the southerners were scared of playing against them so they had to set up their own sport.

I prefer union, I'm from the south and playing League isn't even an option. I don't mind watching a bit of League here and there but for me it doesn't come close to a real game of rugby.

Rugby is Rugby when you think about it, but Union is in my favour because of the style of play, smooth and less repetitive.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Mar 6 2005, 12:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Mar 6 2005, 12:13 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Mar 6 2005, 12:39 PM
What was that St_Helens?

Singing die die union union die.[/b]

<
[/b]
Ah, but this is MY forum cockle.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Mar 7 2005, 10:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Mar 7 2005, 10:42 AM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Mar 6 2005, 12:13 PM
@Mar 6 2005, 12:39 PM

What was that St_Helens?

Singing die die union union die.

<
[/b]
Ah, but this is MY forum cockle. [/b]
Don't get called 'cockle' much nowadays.........
<

Anyway, I agree with woodie, in that being a southener, the availability of League is very slim. Also doesn't help that my dad raised me on Union, so that was the only code I was ever going to play realistically.

No, it is the problem with league, it is not readily available and/or accessible in the South.

Union is an option in the north, it just tends to get ignored.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Mar 9 2005, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't say ignored so much as I'd say 'falls on deaf ears,' or gets 'ridiculed.'

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 6 2005, 11:38 PM

No... League was created when the private school boys club that ran British Rugby got upset that working class teams from the north were dominating their comp... They expelled all the northern clubs on the grounds that the compensation players were receiving to play the game on days they'd normally work was "tainting" the game...
So no, Teh Mite, if anything it was the southerners who couldn't understand their own game and were embarressed that their teams were getting their arse kicked by ordinary working people's teams.
All the rule changes came as a result of league being professional so early and the rules of union (back then) simply not being attractive from a spectator perspective.

Technically, it was all about compensation. That was the crux of the split. Read into it what you will . . .

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 9 2005, 11:26 AM
Technically, it was all about compensation.  That was the crux of the split.  Read into it what you will . . .
essentially thats what it was... They believed if they let the northern clubs get away with compensating their players then Rugby could become like soccer and they wanted to keep it an elite amature game.
But in reality though, saying that was the only reason for the split is sorta like saying that world war 1 started simply because the archduke Franz Ferdinan was assassinated...

Originally posted by captainamerica+Mar 8 2005, 08:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Mar 8 2005, 08:59 PM)</div>
@Mar 9 2005, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't say ignored so much as I'd say 'falls on deaf ears,' or gets 'ridiculed.' [/b]
Well, precisely, just didn't want to upset the Rah Rah's, sorry, union fans.

I don't see quite why all you League lads are so ****** off with Union fans just because we prefer a different code. I don't despise League at all, and can quite happily sit down and watch a game, I just happen to prefer Union. You all seem to have a real chip on your shoulders towards Union fans for some reason, which I just can't understand
<

Edit: Bah... that'll teach me for not reading a thread throughly before replying...

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby
I don't see quite why all you League lads are so ****** off with Union fans just because we prefer a different code.

Sure you can. Like elephants, League fans never forget.

Also, owing to the origins of the split, they're only more than happy to wear their hearts on their sleeves because -- and in true fairness, seriously -- the RFU have always had a fantastical element of being shits*, and not just to northerners.

Funnily enough, what backs Union the most is the thing League prides itself on -- the support of the people.

Unlike football/soccer, for all the broken-time/professionalism/whatever, globally, League did not take root like Union.

* = this does not look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Mar 9 2005, 09:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Mar 9 2005, 09:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
I don't see quite why all you League lads are so ****** off with Union fans just because we prefer a different code.

Sure you can. Like elephants, League fans never forget.

Also, owing to the origins of the split, they're only more than happy to wear their hearts on their sleeves because -- and in true fairness, seriously -- the RFU have always had a fantastical element of being shits*, and not just to northerners.

Funnily enough, what backs Union the most is the thing League prides itself on -- the support of the people.

Unlike football/soccer, for all the broken-time/professionalism/whatever, globally, League did not take root like Union.

* = this does not look like it's going to change anytime soon. [/b]
Yes, but I'm 16, so I don't feel any of this is my fault seeing as I had no control over it. It's a shame if everyone who follows Union is thought of in the same breath as the RFU in terms of how much of a '****' they are.

Latest posts