• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Rugby

As an Englishman I'm ambivalent how this competition is structured. Everyone seems happy enough, which is great.

I don't though like the idea of the SA sides in the Champions Cup. Used to have a clear purpose in establishing Europe's premier club - still a local dust up but a step up from leagues and a bit more exotic. Now it won't be continental, or even hemispherical. Best in time zone perhaps? The SA teams will bring something to the party and others will see it differently, but for me the competition will lose a bit of identity and soul.
I totally see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree with you but rugby has always been partial to this kind of thing. As a sport we've only had world cups since the late 80s and European club competitions since what the mid/late 90s? In terms of identity and things like that it's a bit different to say, football.

Obviously it depends on your definition of sole or identity or your perspective on things but, for me, most popular sport has lost its sole as money corrupts everything to varying degrees but especially in sport where you have people who really cherish that sport on an emotional level.

As I say, though, I get what you're saying and you're right, elite European club competitions should be for European clubs but it is what it is I suppose.

I doubt this will be permanent anyway.

Happy to see SA set up in what, on paper at least, looks like a good comp, dont know why Super Rugby couldn't have used the same format rather than Guaranteed finalists from each conference, maybe we actually have an example of learning from previous mistakes?

Very jealous also that NZ, Aus, Japan etc are struggling to come up with something equally as good, we seem obsessed with this idea of the Nz teams needing to be seen as the best and allowing entrance to other teams...rather than just an enjoyable comp with loads of rugby

I do hope the SA stay in the RC though, that could be very interesting now with the players not in the ame club comp

good luck

Always blamed BT, LNR and PRL far more than anyone else for messing up the Heino to be honest, don't think CVC had much input at the time of change.

It's definitely become a French/English comp with the rest as an afterthought though, you only have to look at a list of the finals venues to see that, going to places that guaranteed won't sell out ahead of Cardiff or Dublin is nuts and five English and two French finals before one of those cities might get one... Its also skewed insofar as qualification for English and French teams is based on nationality while it isn't for the rest.

So yeah, get the Saffas in, the European identity and all that went a while ago.

Its also skewed insofar as qualification for English and French teams is based on nationality while it isn't for the rest.
It's based on leagues, which it should be
If the Celtic nations and Italy want to pool together to form a league you can't then complain when you get treated like a league.
Why should Zebre (dead last in their Pro 14 group) or Treviso (dead last in their Pro 14 group) get gifted a champions cup spot?

We've gone round in circles over this before, though :p

It's based on leagues, which it should be
If the Celtic nations and Italy want to pool together to form a league you can't then complain when you get treated like a league.
Why should Zebre (dead last in their Pro 14 group) or Treviso (dead last in their Pro 14 group) get gifted a champions cup spot?

We've gone round in circles over this before, though :p
Yeah we see it as fundamentally different, I just find it ironic that people want to protect the European aspect of the competition when we could feasibly have a tournament where only four countries are represented, it's been one result away from happening twice.

To answer your question, Treviso should qualify for being the best premier Italian team. Currently the top half of premier English teams qualify, the top half of premier Italian/Scottish teams don't.

I don't mind the champions cup only having say 4 countries represented currently.
I do mind the lack of countries in the Challenge cup.
I also dislike the lack of a 3rd league anymore.

I know the shield was a thing a few years ago but it had zero media promotion, no where to watch it.
It would be nice to see a 3rd league with the domestic winners of the none 6N's European teams say 10 countries.

It does highlight the lack of interest in rugby and probably how damaging the 6N's has been imo in terms of long term European interest.

Connacht getting f'd in the b again. From a more positive point of view, hopefully, it'll be good for Irish teams to be regularly up against the monster Saffa packs. Think in the long run we need to find a way to beat these physically bigger teams and now we'll have plenty of opportunity. Of course they could just do to us what we've being doing to the rest of the league but lets not dwell on that.

The result today was good (in a way) for the South African teams, they will now know that they can't just turn up and win.
I don't buy into those who say that the South African teams won't strengthen this new comp. They are all (with the possible exception of the Lions) better than the Cheetahs who were a mid ranking Pro 14 team. I expect them still to be some of the better teams in this new comp.

Latest posts