Upcoming World Rugby Stars

Pieter Steph du Teague

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
Which young players do you think could be starring on the international stage by the 2019 RWC?
As an Englishman I'll cover some of the ones from around here that I think could be starring on the big stage over the next four years.

I'll get the big one out of the way, Henry Slade. I think it's fair to say that he is nationally loved and seen as the man to take the England 10 or 12 shirt soon.
Next is the other big one, Maro Itoje, commonly seen as the man to take over England captaincy. Able to play anywhere in the second or back row can't see him not getting in somewhere in the 2016 Six Nations team.

Now for some of the less common suggestions.
Nick Auterac
Jamie George
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Maybe)
Dave Ewers
Jack Clifford
Josh Beaumont
Elliot Daly

Looking at the players coming through it's apparent that England still doesn't have a real 7 coming through. As someone who is currently going through the age groups for county, it's easy to see why. At trials, the players with real turnover or fetching ability are never noticed, just the monsters that can run through the a number of players and dot down for a try. Fairly obvious why English rugby is failing when we focus so much on size and strength over skill and fitness.

Dave Seymour,
aMFtMM.gif

Josh Beaumont,
Will Addison,
Mike Haley,
James Mitchell,
Sam James,
Mark Jennings,

Last edited:
Some future Springboks to keep an eye out for:

With all the attention given to Damian de Allende, Jesse Kriel and Jan Serfontein, a midfielder who might end up starting by the next World Cup is Harold Vorster. Not as big and powerful as de Allende or as explosive as Kriel but a smart tactician and silky smooth runner and distributor. Hopefully he makes a full recovery from an ACL injury he suffered this year.

Scrum-Half: Stefan Ungerer

Fullback: Warrick Gelant

Prop: Thomas du Toit, one of the most hyped props to come through the pipeline in years. I had high hopes for loosie Steven Kitshoff but with his departure to France it might be harder for him to gain attention from selectors.

Flanker: Sikhumbuzo Notshe. SA's always been blessed with a plethora of world class flankers. There's a number of players that I could mention here including Jaco Kriel but I've constantly been impressed with Notshe's growth as a player.

Number Eight: Hanro Liebenberg. The impressive captain of the U-20 team this past year, already has international caliber size at 1.96m and 110 kg. If Arno Botha can stay healthy he could be a real talisman as well.

Wing: Seabelo Senatla. The Boks need to find the heir apparent to Habana. A natural finisher with quick feet, Senatla needs to add some weight and commit to the fifteen aside game but his potential is as high as anyone. Other names at wing to keep an eye out for are Luther Obi, and Leolin Zas.

Our locks are also pretty well stocked for the future. People expect big things from Patrick Tuipolutu who is a beast.

Loose forwards is an area of real excitement. Akira Ioane is a prodigy. Can play #6/8 - big unit. Scores length of the field tries but also does great work in the tight. Ardie Savea is similar but is seen as more of a 7, probably a tad quicker but not as big. Those two could have huge futures. 7 also has new boy Karpick who lookes great - and missed out on a Blues spot for Blake Gibson who is also rated highly.

At scrum half it will be extremely hard to get a look in over Smith, Peranara and Kerr-Barlow - but everyone is extremely excited by Brad Weber. There is also a tonne of other promising youngsters like Bryn Hall, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Augstin Pulu, Jamison Gibson-Park...

We also have some really exciting new fly halves. Otere Black I think has a huge amount of potential. Damien McKenzie is another. Then you have slightly older but exciting Ihaia West, Simon Hickie, Mo'unga, Marty McKenzie...etc, etc.

In the centres I am excited by Seta Tamanivalu but I think it is difficult to gauge some of our young centre prospects atm.

Outside backs there is Tevita Li, Reiko Ioana and some other good prospects

Looking at the players coming through it's apparent that England still doesn't have a real 7 coming through. As someone who is currently going through the age groups for county, it's easy to see why. At trials, the players with real turnover or fetching ability are never noticed, just the monsters that can run through the a number of players and dot down for a try. Fairly obvious why English rugby is failing when we focus so much on size and strength over skill and fitness.

Ireland had that problem but we've a few genuine opensides coming through now in Josh Van Der Flier (Dutch father) and James Connolly in Connacht. They're not the biggest but technically good 7s.

As for upcoming stars

Garry Ringrose, Stuart McCloskey - Centers
Stuart Olding - Utility back
Tadhg Furlong, James Cronin - Props
Van Der Flier - openside
Kieran Marmion - scrum half

There are more I'm keeping an eye on.

Look out for the Du Preez brothers, older brother Robert(flyhalf), and twins Daniel and Jean-Luc (both loose-forwards). They are the offspring of former Springbok scrumhalf Robert Du Preez.

there's a few young players making debuts for Glasgow and Edinburgh who could make the cut to becoming a future star maybe not world stars but stars for they're country and players to look out for

James Malcolm (Hooker)
Robbie Fergusson (Centre)
Scott Cummings (Second Row)
Magnus Bradbury (Number 8)
Jamie Ritchie (Flanker)
Chris Dean (Centre)
Blair Kinghorn (Fly-half/Fullback)

there's a few young players making debuts for Glasgow and Edinburgh who could make the cut to becoming a future star maybe not world stars but stars for they're country and players to look out for

James Malcolm (Hooker)
Robbie Fergusson (Centre)
Scott Cummings (Second Row)
Magnus Bradbury (Number 8)
Jamie Ritchie (Flanker)
Chris Dean (Centre)
Blair Kinghorn (Fly-half/Fullback)

How has Hugh Blake played recently? I know he got a test match in during 6N.

How has Hugh Blake played recently? I know he got a test match in during 6N.
no he got a game for us in a test match before the world cup were he did knock it on in the last few seconds which did cost us the game.

But i've not seen much of him to be honest so i couldn't tell you but he is doing well for Glasgow apparently.

Latest posts