• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA creating a professional Rugby League?

If that's the case Wales should be beating NZ everytime in a rugby game!
God damn it!

GREAT IDEA!!!!
Just one question, if this league does start up, when would the games be played? 'cause if the people behind this league plan to start play around the same time as The NFL start their season, it'll last as long as a condom in Paris Hilton's bedroom.

probably the spring thats when my high school league runs and when the college main season runs

GREAT IDEA!!!!
Just one question, if this league does start up, when would the games be played? 'cause if the people behind this league plan to start play around the same time as The NFL start their season, it'll last as long as a condom in Paris Hilton's bedroom.
[/b]
From what I have read it will start in April

I wonder how much it would cost to own a team...I am seriously interested in getting involved somehow

It's basically in place, with the Rugby Superleague...we just need full on sponsors to make it pro. IMO.
fp_1_2.jpg

I guess you could use those teams and that league to start things off, unless they want to start freash

I guess you could use those teams and that league to start things off, unless they want to start freash [/b]
do you know anything about the rugby super league?

<div class='quotemain'> I guess you could use those teams and that league to start things off, unless they want to start freash [/b]
[/b][/quote]
Yes it is the Premier Level of men's club competition in the USA. It is sanctioned by USA Rugby. It is a very good league yes but I think if they tweeked it a little bit it could become very big you are right. I was just saying it all depends on what their plans are...I wish i knew...But this league would need a lot more than just more sponsorship to become a professional league...they would need a major marketing campain, a couple stars to foucs on and a contract with the big ticket in sports tele...ESPN...hey if they got on ESPN they would be bigger than hockey...which wouldn't be very hard and i love hockey

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> I guess you could use those teams and that league to start things off, unless they want to start freash [/b]
[/b][/quote]
Yes it is the Premier Level of men's club competition in the USA. It is sanctioned by USA Rugby. It is a very good league yes but I think if they tweeked it a little bit it could become very big you are right. I was just saying it all depends on what their plans are...I wish i knew...But this league would need a lot more than just more sponsorship to become a professional league...they would need a major marketing campain, a couple stars to foucs on and a contract with the big ticket in sports tele...ESPN...hey if they got on ESPN they would be bigger than hockey...which wouldn't be very hard and i love hockey
[/b][/quote]

Unfortunately, the RSL is not a single entity league... like the MLS, NFL, basically every other American sport except for maybe baseball and fighting sports... And the trick is that the teams must all work together (be owned by the league) to gain more ticket sales.

Without that, I just think it's kinda doomed to fail... But it's a good springboard, and we should use that as a benchmark to see which cities hold good rugby markets.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Unfortunately, the RSL is not a single entity league... like the MLS, NFL, basically every other American sport except for maybe baseball and fighting sports... And the trick is that the teams must all work together (be owned by the league) to gain more ticket sales.

Without that, I just think it's kinda doomed to fail... But it's a good springboard, and we should use that as a benchmark to see which cities hold good rugby markets.
[/b][/quote]

I agree...hopefully they know this too

I heard the will be showing the matches in ESPN 8, the "ocho" [/b]
nice dodgeball reference!
that "put rugby on espn" petition has been circulating for years...we've seen what good that has done.
We have a f___ing team in the world cup and it won't eveng get mentioned on Sports Center.
Rugby isn't on the USA's radar. It's underground...and it's a great sense of community underground. I've played in Oklahoma City, Springfield, MO, San Diego, CA, and in St. Louis. Now, granted I'm not saying I made immense contributions as both S.D. and StL are RSL clubs, but I was welcomed in and had a great time. They're just now sorting soccer out after 30 years of hardcore devotion from the players. We're at least behind them.

<div class='quotemain'> I heard the will be showing the matches in ESPN 8, the "ocho" [/b]
nice dodgeball reference!
that "put rugby on espn" petition has been circulating for years...we've seen what good that has done.
We have a f___ing team in the world cup and it won't eveng get mentioned on Sports Center.
Rugby isn't on the USA's radar. It's underground...and it's a great sense of community underground. I've played in Oklahoma City, Springfield, MO, San Diego, CA, and in St. Louis. Now, granted I'm not saying I made immense contributions as both S.D. and StL are RSL clubs, but I was welcomed in and had a great time. They're just now sorting soccer out after 30 years of hardcore devotion from the players. We're at least behind them.
[/b][/quote]

Sympathize with you my yankee friend. For years we struggle in Argentina to watch decent rugby on cable TV. Today we are ok, lots of European club action, local matches, Tri nations, 6 nations, International tests. But until 1999 we had only local matches and Currie Cup, commented by a MEXICAN!!!!!!

Good luck to you I hope ESPN open thir eyes for american rugby fans

Whatever they do it is at least going to take about 3+ years to get popular with the general public...they need a major marketing campaign and a face of the league

Whatever they do it is at least going to take about 3+ years to get popular with the general public...they need a major marketing campaign and a face of the league [/b]
3+...with emphasis on the +.
I don't like to say it, 'cause it's not what I want, but I think we're a ways off.

Sympathize with you my yankee friend. For years we struggle in Argentina to watch decent rugby on cable TV. Today we are ok, lots of European club action, local matches, Tri nations, 6 nations, International tests. But until 1999 we had only local matches and Currie Cup, commented by a MEXICAN!!!!!!

Good luck to you I hope ESPN open thir eyes for american rugby fans [/b]
Cheers...I'll take that as a sign of hope. Mexican Rugby Commentary, must've been interesting.
I'm resisting tons of jokes that might sound racist, as I love the mexicans, they know how to party.

<div class='quotemain'>

I wonder how much it would cost to own a team...I am seriously interested in getting involved somehow [/b]
Teams will be owned by the league.
[/b][/quote]
You think? Why do you say that? Wouldn't it be better if they all had owners and then there was a commissioner like they do in MLB, NFL, and the NHL?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

I wonder how much it would cost to own a team...I am seriously interested in getting involved somehow [/b]
[/b][/quote]
You think? Why do you say that? Wouldn't it be better if they all had owners and then there was a commissioner like they do in MLB, NFL, and the NHL? [/b][/quote]
Definately not. It may work for huge income sports with very highly paid players, but that won't be the case in this situatation. The game will be starting off, it needs to be looked after by the league. You can't have private owners because they all have a self interest and what not. Private ownership won't even be considered.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
You think? Why do you say that? Wouldn't it be better if they all had owners and then there was a commissioner like they do in MLB, NFL, and the NHL? [/b][/quote]
Definately not. It may work for huge income sports with very highly paid players, but that won't be the case in this situatation. The game will be starting off, it needs to be looked after by the league. You can't have private owners because they all have a self interest and what not. Private ownership won't even be considered.
[/b][/quote]
good point.

Good luck to you I hope ESPN open thir eyes for american rugby fans
[/b]

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

i mean... TRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Although I watched the RWC final with Japanese commentary, and strangely, it sounded like a mexican commentator with a japanese accent.

Latest posts