• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA Rugby

S

stalisman

Hey folks,

I just surfed to the web site up front in the blogs about rugby i the USA.

What a joy :)

Enough said that I've bookmarked the site.

I knew folks over there liked the game, it just needs something to give it a little impitus and staying power.

Rugby isn't a political game so we oughtn't get wrapped over the National Guard aspect, here in our politicaly correct society some folks think that'd be a bad thing, over there it's part of the fabric.

They gave George Bush a plane that he never flew, but these guys are using the ball with a vengence and it's fun to watch :)

Coupla' years back I was somewhere in South Dakota and pulled into a roadside McDonalds, ordered a burger, plenty of time I was the only one there, not like the cattle markets in our high streets, anyway ... this guy walks up , refills my Coffee, and says Wales! I recognise the shirt!

Well I gotta tell you that meant a lot in the hot middle of nowhere in a burger joint from the twilight zone.

I left my shirt as a tip :)

I suppose it's early days yet for a USA section in the International part of the forum,

but I have no doubt,

that they will be,

here,

:)

I was really happy to see this post. I just joined the forums but Love the game and recently got back from my first tour this past summer to England and Wales and let me tell you Wales was amazing love every bit of it. And planning on moving back within the next year already got a job though from friends i met in porthcrawl. But yeah were getting there in the rugby well not our national team but the youth side I live in chicago and know there are over 40 high school team in the city and suburbs alone and its the fastest growing sport in the state so i hope our national team can get a little better by the time we play you guys next august!!!(in chicago btw :bravo: )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Nov 22 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was really happy to see this post. I just joined the forums but Love the game and recently got back from my first tour this past summer to England and Wales and let me tell you Wales was amazing love every bit of it. And planning on moving back within the next year already got a job though from friends i met in porthcrawl. But yeah were getting there in the rugby well not our national team but the youth side I live in chicago and know there are over 40 high school team in the city and suburbs alone and its the fastest growing sport in the state so i hope our national team can get a little better by the time we play you guys next august!!!(in chicago btw :bravo: )[/b]

Porthcawl is a place of many memories for a South Walian, I suppose it is our Atlantic City, though I doubt many Saxons are aware of it :)

( That's a family joke, us Celts not being Saxons sorta thing ... we have been cracking the same joke for 1500 years now and still some folks dont get it :) )

Some of my Best friends are English, indeed I married one. I told my daughters that if England pick them that of course I'd not object to them playing for them, but they know I'd be happier still if they played for Wales. Fat chance of either realy as we Siluri ( that's what the Romans called us ) tend not to take any prisoners :)

Rugby is in the blood you see and that's how come it's more fundemental than Soccer where loyalty just costs the price of a ticket.

I didn't know we were playing you guys there, I just hope Elliot Ness isn't around closing down the Bars and such for Beer and Rugby go go together and make for friendship and humour ... that's how come scotland Ireland wales and england still get on together after nigh on 2000 years :)

Be good to see The USA at the party.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Nov 22 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...i hope our national team can get a little better by the time we play you guys next august!!!(in chicago btw :bravo: )[/b]

Frntline, any idea where the game will be played (i.e. what stadium)?
I'll be working in NYC over the summer and i want to catch this game, I'm thinking about taking about taking a week off work getting a train there, seeing sights on the way etc.
But i just want to know what stadium they'll be playing in so i can hunt down where to buy tickets from as well.

I think in Chicago they'll be playing at the Toyota Park? I think its one of the MLS stadiums.

All the big matches have been at Toyota Park as Presty suggested.

Glad to have both of you two new Americans on here. Tell your friends. It's hard to get other Americans on here as they don't seem interested in Rugby outside of their club and country. I'd like to hear your impressions of world rugby. What clubs are you with here?

Remembered playing a USA touring side 3 years ago now and I remebered asking how popular is Rugby in America and they told me that Rugby as for people who could not make the NFL is this the same case?

If that's the case after seeing Habana getting skinned imagine how fast the NFL players can run!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 26 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Remembered playing a USA touring side 3 years ago now and I remebered asking how popular is Rugby in America and they told me that Rugby as for people who could not make the NFL is this the same case?[/b]

It still kinda is like we went to recruit from a Area(indoor) football team tryout trying to pick up some of the players that didn't make it. But the only reason why we don't get our best athletes is cause there not future in the sport in the states but thats starting to change. Youth programs are helping getting people to love the sport like i started in high school and after 1 practice feel in love with it and everyone else who has done it with me did the same.

Yeah, welcome to TRF, lads. Hope you guys get stuck in, use the media feeds on the front end to get as best a briefing on international rugby as you can ya'hear?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 27 2008, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Nov 22 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...i hope our national team can get a little better by the time we play you guys next august!!!(in chicago btw :bravo: )[/b]

I'll be working in NYC over the summer and i want to catch this game, I'm thinking about taking about taking a week off work getting a train there, seeing sights on the way etc.
But i just want to know what stadium they'll be playing in so i can hunt down where to buy tickets from as well.
[/b][/quote]

the train is def a good way to travel .... you can buy these super passes where you can just get on and off the train as you please...

as for rugby being for people who can't play football that certainly isn't the case in Canada... both sports require very different skill sets and don't really correlate that well ... my university team recruited a lfew linebackers and tried turning them into props it really didn't work very well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Dec 1 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 27 2008, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Nov 22 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

the train is def a good way to travel .... you can buy these super passes where you can just get on and off the train as you please...

as for rugby being for people who can't play football that certainly isn't the case in Canada... both sports require very different skill sets and don't really correlate that well ... my university team recruited a lfew linebackers and tried turning them into props it really didn't work very well.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not surprised...those guys have no skills whatsoever ...even their tackling is suspect...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Dec 1 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 27 2008, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, RC, check out thetrainline and STA Travel. They both do good value AMTRACK/VIA Rail cross-border passes if you want to check out the States and Canada too. I think they do them either nationwide or for specific regions such as the North-east Corridor and Ontario for example.

If USA could use some Football players on his team... would be a GREAT team indeed!!!

They don't have lack of talent :D

Latest posts