• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USARL and AMNRL

AliC1995

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I was wondering what is the standard like in North American RL. Is it similar to USA club rugby union, I think I'm right in saying some of the USA union internationals have played AMNRL (Luke Hume, Suniula brothers). Its also interesting that the two leagues do not play against each other. It looks to me from the limited research that I have done that these are the closest to professional club rugby in the USA and if the league's merged and the developmental teams from the USARL joined it could be quite a competition. Also where are the players from? Are the bulk American or do many overseas players play in these leagues. I'm pretty interested in this and it would be cool to see it take off, anyone from stateside want to shed some light?

The standard of rugby league is much lower than the standard of rugby union in North America. The United States is a little stronger than Canada but neither team is very good, Jamaica are just below these two in standard as well, while there is growth in the game here it's still a niche of a niche. The United States did make it to the next RLWC and Canada have skyrocketed up the world rankings but the gap in league between minnows and quality sides is immense.

I don't think there are more than one or two even semi pro's on either side. Canada if I remember correctly only has Louis Robinson and Ruari McGoff that have played pro rugby in England both of them for 2nd tier clubs and both of them are UK raised. Most of the players are crossover's between codes or expats who continue to play the game.

I can't see a pro league anytime in the foreseeable future the national sides have been drawing better crowds but clubs are more freinds and family. A Union pro league might get started up at some point but League is a long way off. Most likely I see Canada and the States moving up the minnow feeding chain and becoming regulars at the RLWC but not going very far. I actually think the game could do very well over here especially in the States but there is just such an oversaturation of sports here in North America that it will be tough for RL to find space.

Do a lot of the league players play D1 union and then play league after that? Also, how do they fund it with Jacksonville going to play the likes of Boston and Rhode Island?

Latest posts