• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USGA Open 2015

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
I knew I would enjoy this as soon as a certain player was next to last after the first round in yet another come back!!

However, doubt I have ever seen a more scenically beautiful golf course on tv than this one albeit that it is totally "unfair"!!

The Players, rightly, are privately livid at having to play it yet each hole brings

- excitement with ridiculous bounces,
- putts that go around corners,
- 300 yard holes being driven only to see the ball run around the green for ten minutes before finding a bunker,
- virtually unplayable lies and
- the huge perseverance (courage in sport is a trite over used) and superb skill of Jason Day who was under par after his third round despite his physical collapse yesterday!!

The two things I would repeat to the players is that the course is the same for everyone, you hit it there, and imagine if the wind had been blowing and the rain falling instead of sunshine every day so far!!!

Hope my last Open visit will be half as exciting and roll on the final round and another early morning tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Was working the last two nights so I didn't get to see much apart from what I saw from the bar. I'll watch tonight and hope Lowry can mount a charge, one good round and Ireland could have their fifth major winner in the last decade, he'll only ever do it on a links type course. If not Day winning would be great and he certainly deserves it after all he's been through and it'd be nice to see DJ get redemption for 2010.

As for the course itself, I'm not a huge fan. Seeing players having to play ridiculous slopes is nice on one or two holes but having to aim 20 yards from the intended target on almost every shot is a bit farcical to me. The US Open is supposed to be the ultimate test of American golf, long and right courses where you must be able consistency is key and you get exactly what your shot deserves. This is like crazy golf on roids.

As for Tiger, I don't like to see him struggle. The guy made modern golf what it is and it's not nice to see the fourth best player of all time and best of his generation struggle like he is.

Agree with Cmac. For all the crap off the course. On it Tiger took golf to a new level.

Regards Lowry. I'd love to see him there down the final few. He's a character off the course and a pure down to earth gent.

Fair play to Jason Day too he's hanging in there superbly despite battling vertigo

Johnson throws it away in the final round. All aboard the Spieth hype train until Rory defends the next two!!!

Harsh to say that DJ threw it away on such a course when he had a putt to win!!

Speith fully deserved his win as was much the steadier throughout the final round....even though he had troubles like the 17th.

Shame for both Grace and Day for differing reasons.

The Masters is always held as being unfair yet they go back every year and play it! This course is Augusta on steroids but Bobby Jones, I think it was, said "Golf was never meant to be fair"!!

The final day was one of the most tightly fought for many a year and the fact that there were 64's and 66's shows the course was playable if you had the vision and the skill.....

Well played Lowery although never really threatened! I would expect him to be challenging with the same guys in the top 10 here for the Open (in just three weeks now!!!!).

It was interesting to watch.

3 Saffas in the top 7.

Louis Oosthuizen carding an opening round of 6 over and then ending up in the top 6.

But I have to say I was a bit angry at Retief Goosen at not performing better on that course, as the one here in his local home town, looks in the exact same condition as that one.

It was interesting to watch.

3 Saffas in the top 7.

Louis Oosthuizen carding an opening round of 6 over and then ending up in the top 6.

But I have to say I was a bit angry at Retief Goosen at not performing better on that course, as the one here in his local home town, looks in the exact same condition as that one.

To be fair, when was the last time Retief performed and am pretty sure he only qualifies as past winner?

Harsh to say that DJ threw it away on such a course when he had a putt to win!!

Speith fully deserved his win as was much the steadier throughout the final round....even though he had troubles like the 17th.

Shame for both Grace and Day for differing reasons.

The Masters is always held as being unfair yet they go back every year and play it! This course is Augusta on steroids but Bobby Jones, I think it was, said "Golf was never meant to be fair"!!

The final day was one of the most tightly fought for many a year and the fact that there were 64's and 66's shows the course was playable if you had the vision and the skill.....

Well played Lowery although never really threatened! I would expect him to be challenging with the same guys in the top 10 here for the Open (in just three weeks now!!!!).
True, I was kind of getting at the fact he threw it away with his putting! Countless missed putts under 6ft with a three putt at the last in his final round. Two go in and he's the champ. Same could be said for Mcilroy though, had he putted well this week he'd have won by about 5 shots!

Spieth's achievement is incredible and although I can't see him matching Jones or Hogan in their single year achievements, Mcilroy vs Spieth is going to go down as a rivalry as big as we've ever seen.

Rory will win in three weeks, hopefully Lowry will get a third top 10 in the last 5 majors as well!

Really hope that Rory gets over his lady love and gets back to golf as, if he does not, Jordan is going to dominate!

I do believe that Jordan has the skill, mental strength and youth to beat Jack's record and be the dominant force in golf from here onward! I also believe the grand slam is within his grasp.......

I would also put a few bob, were I a betting man, in Lowry for the Open!!

Look out for me, I will be the idiot in the crash helmet behind the 18th (if it is raining) or the red jacket if it is sunny!!!!

Ha!

@heinekin....Funny after my comments about Retief Goosen (236 in world rankings) and he immediately starts to do well in Germany this week!!!

Latest posts