• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Versatile player wanting to cement a position

Knowlsey98

Academy Player
Hi I'm 20 years old and play first team club rugby and at university as well. For the last couple of years I've been asked to play on different positions and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I've played 9, 10, 12, 13 and 15 and I played back row when I was a kid. I sort of feel like I'm not really suited to one position, I'm 177cm ish and am just over 200 pounds. I'd say my better attributes are creating space, my passing, my kicking (I kick goals) and my footwork. Weaker points are my lack of pace over longer distances and my acceleration. I don't really how to train in the gym because I move around a lot, I feel a bit slow for the half backs and a bit small for centre. I didn't enjoy last season a lot.

I've decided to change clubs for the coming season and just wondering where you guys think I should be looking to play and maybe more importantly what style of game I should play in that position. I know the team comes first but I'd like to try and nail one spot down. Thank you.

What's wrong with playing multiple positions?

Although I played the vast majority of my time at either Second Row or No8, I played every position on the field at least once (usually because of unavailability of others). With the exception of my one game at hooker (which was a nightmare) and my one game on the wing (hardly saw the ball), I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to experience different roles.

What's wrong with playing multiple positions?

Although I played the vast majority of my time at either Second Row or No8, I played every position on the field at least once (usually because of unavailability of others). With the exception of my one game at hooker (which was a nightmare) and my one game on the wing (hardly saw the ball), I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to experience different roles.
Yes but i i think thats exactly what he doesnt want. He wants to nail down that 12 jersey and be seen as a 12 who is able to play other positions. I say 12 as frim what he said thats where id also put him.

Hi I'm 20 years old and play first team club rugby and at university as well. For the last couple of years I've been asked to play on different positions and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I've played 9, 10, 12, 13 and 15 and I played back row when I was a kid. I sort of feel like I'm not really suited to one position, I'm 177cm ish and am just over 200 pounds. I'd say my better attributes are creating space, my passing, my kicking (I kick goals) and my footwork. Weaker points are my lack of pace over longer distances and my acceleration. I don't really how to train in the gym because I move around a lot, I feel a bit slow for the half backs and a bit small for centre. I didn't enjoy last season a lot.

I've decided to change clubs for the coming season and just wondering where you guys think I should be looking to play and maybe more importantly what style of game I should play in that position. I know the team comes first but I'd like to try and nail one spot down. Thank you.

Agree with everyone saying playmaking 12 - Although at 177cm and 200lbs, I'd suggest losing a few lbs too. I'm 178cm and currently around 175lbs, normally a 10 but after losing the weight (I was just over 200lbs) I feel like I've now got the gas to maybe even make a home at 13.

As you can see from Farrell shifting to 12 for England, you still need that 5m gas to break the line, so try going down to around 180lbs and keeping your strength up.

Latest posts