• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Very Talented NFL Running Back Seriously Pursuing Rugby

RugbyNow75

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Ryan Moats played in the NFL for seven years. Now he seriously wants to play rugby. Check out the Ryan Moats Rugby Experience with highlights. Glad that he respects the differences between Rugby and NFL and wants to learn. This could be a good idea. I'm excited.
www.ryanmoats.com

Check it out!!!

Good luck to him, but 30 year old crossovers with no prior rugby experience aren't exactly the most likely to succeed.

Could give him a shot in the 7s side to try and garner more interest in the run up to the Olympics?

Stick him on the wing... get him to take pop passes off the 10's inside shoulder - let his RB instincts take over.

HL video from years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could give him a shot in the 7s side to try and garner more interest in the run up to the Olympics?

Nope. He's not a household name by any stretch and saying he played in the NFL for 7 years is a bit of stretch. Someone like Tebow would have that value but not this guy.

Where will he play? He should go to test some small clubs in Europe, small clubs always do tests for new players

Ryan Moats played in the NFL for seven years. Now he seriously wants to play rugby. Check out the Ryan Moats Rugby Experience with highlights. Glad that he respects the differences between Rugby and NFL and wants to learn. This could be a good idea. I'm excited.
www.ryanmoats.com

Check it out!!!

Some journeyman washed up NFL guy, he'll be rubbish.. I'm sure there as numerous equally athletic 18 year olds already playing rugby in the US system.

To say that Ryan Moats would not have a chance because he is not a household name like Tim Tebow makes no sense. Not really sure how much of an NFL fan you are. Ryan Moats was a draft pick who was drafted as a Junior out of college, a Doak Walker candidate and a Heisman Candidate. He was a back up running back to Brian Westbrook but was very effective when he played. Tim Tebow is more hype and has less NFL experience than Ryan Moats. The USA Eagles keeps bringing in players like Ahmad Green who is 36 and puts them through these two day Camps, but never really get real talent from the NFL. I like that fact that Ryan Moats is actually playing with a club and going to Rugby Academy's before just calling up the Eagles and arrogantly thinking it's an easy transition. I have also been keeping track of the Griffins on line and he is having some AWESOME trys every week. So I think you are being a bit harsh. I am going to try and get some footage of him playing against teams in the Texas Union. You are talking about a guy who is not use to taking hits to a guy who is quick, use to making people miss, and can take hits from NFL caliber defenders. I guess we will just have to see how well he does, but as of right now all the other NFL BIG NAMES that they go after never really make it on the field other than a photo op, but Ryan is actually PLAYING rugby. I'm telling you this because I have personally seen him play in the NFL and he has one of the best skill sets as a runner and I think that he would be perfect for Rugby. Being a house hold name means nothing. And actually Ryan Moats is pretty known.

Imagine a Back Line with the Likes of :

-Charles Jamaal
-Frank Gore
-Maurice, Drew Jones
-Adrian Peterson
- Marshawn Lynch

Couldn't pass or tackle but Pretty good at running it up

Imagine a Back Line with the Likes of :

-Charles Jamaal
-Frank Gore
-Maurice, Drew Jones
-Adrian Peterson
- Marshawn Lynch

Couldn't pass or tackle but Pretty good at running it up

And would need oxygen after like ten minutes of play. NFL players are insanely anaerobically conditioned and would take a lot of work to be able to go for a 40 minute half.

Also as a football to rugby convert who played with a lot of football to rugby converts, the amount of times they'd get knocked out tackling incorrectly would be pretty high. It is surprisingly difficult to reteach where to put your head :mellow:

www.ryanmoats.com

Check it out!!!

These super fast NFL converts are never going to make it at the top level in 15s at least not in the fast-track system that is being proposed. They'll make good 7s players, but that's it. Rugby is a pretty complex game and it can take years to fully understand the game, understanding positioning, defence, tackling technique, kicking, catching high balls, passing etc etc even the fact that he is very quick doesn't necessarily mean he will be any good in attack. The running lines in rugby are very different to that of NFL and a sprinter can be relatively easily marked up in defence by a slower player who knows what he's doing.

To those who's bashing on the guy, do know that he'll have TRAINING SESSIONS. Just because he's used to stop every 30 second doesn't mean he can't condition himself for rugby. The fact that he's a speedy sidestep demon proves that he can contribute a lot.

Latest posts