• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Victoria get State of Origin 1

Q

QLD

Melbourne to host Origin I

September 04, 2008

THE Australian Rugby League has confirmed Melbourne's Telstra Dome will host the opening match of the 2009 State of Origin series on June 3.

ARL chairman Colin Love made the announcement in Melbourne attending a function for Telstra Dome's Rugby League World Cup match between Australia and England on November 2.

The move is part of an ongoing commitment to representative league matches in Melbourne and follows a sell-out Origin crowd of 54,833 for the 2006 decider, won by Queensland.

Another Melbourne crowd over 30,000 watched the league Test between Australia and New Zealand the same year.

"Through representative matches and the Melbourne Storm there is a strong commitment to providing Melbourne audiences with direct access to the best in rugby league," Love said.

"The response from Melbourne fans, from the Victorian government and from the Telstra Dome management has been very encouraging."

Game two of the 2009 Origin series will be played in Sydney, with game three in Brisbane.

AAP

---

This ****** me off for a few reasons.
1. Last time I checked state of origin was between QLD and NSW, not Victoria.
2. Queensland should be hosting two games, this shouldve been done in a year where Sydney host two games, because Queensland games sellout in 90 minutes, both Sydney games werent even sellouts.
3. Would AFL fans like it if Sydney took the AFL Grand Final away from the MCG
4. I'm predicting NSW will win now. When QLD broke the three year drought in 2006, one of the Sydney games was in Melbourne and we won and then we the next three in a row. Stupid superstition but I dont see us winning 4 in a row anyway so NSW will win next year imo, if they drop crap players like Mason too.

I totally support the move, providing that QLD gets 2 Origins in 2010 because 2009 was the year for us to have 2 but that has been taken away with Vic getting our first one.

This should be this format for the next three years.

2009: QLD x1, Vic x1, NSW x1
2010: QLD x2, Vic x1
2011: QLD x1, Vic x1, NSW x1

If we find that Victoria draws a bigger crowd than NSW I think to be fair we should stay with the three states sharing an Origin each because it would be totally unfair to give 2 to QLD and 1 to Vic every year because interest would nose dive in NSW with the fringe fans.
However if it is shown eventually that NSW will draw bigger crowds than Vic, then it should go back to the old format of 2 QLD, 1 NSW/1 QLD, 2 NSW.

There are so many factors to consider though.
  • QLD is the heartland and will pull bigger crowds than anywhere else.
  • NSW need should get 1 game per year because if not then interest in Origin would decline
  • We need to penetrate other markets, in this case, Victoria

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Sep 5 2008, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I totally support the move, providing that QLD gets 2 Origins in 2010 because 2009 was the year for us to have 2 but that has been taken away with Vic getting our first one.

If we find that Victoria draws a bigger crowd than NSW I think to be fair we should stay with the three states sharing an Origin each because it would be totally unfair to give 2 to QLD and 1 to Vic every year because interest would nose dive in NSW with the fringe fans.
However if it is shown eventually that NSW will draw bigger crowds than Vic, then it should go back to the old format of 2 QLD, 1 NSW/1 QLD, 2 NSW.

• NSW need should get 1 game per year because if not then interest in Origin would decline
[/b]

Are you taking the ****?

I love the avatar but Vic getting 1 game every year would put me off origin.

Ask a NSW fan like Sanzar - he wouldnt want his Sydney games, even if they are held at a dodgy stadium like Homebush and arent sellouts, taken away to be played in bloody Victoria. I'm bloody furious one of Queenslands game will be taken away from us and is going to be played in Victoria!!! Our games are sellouts and its the best stadium to host origins that, NSW fans would say that, Phil Gould and Willy Mason said that too. Remember this is between Queensland and NSW, I cant see Victoria anywhere in there.

Storm only get 10000 to there games and theyre the best team in the comp. Hardly much interest for a team based in Victoria, why would there be more interest for a match that doesnt feature a Victorian team. Victoria hosting a state of origin should only be a thing that happens once every 5-10 years.

f*** next year why dont we play one game each in Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne.

I hate where NRL is going.

These money grabs **** me off so much, the whole Victorian state of origin, Bledisloes in Melbourne, Bledisloes in Hong Kong, it dilutes the passion and history of the event, absolute rubbish...

this is all about the money and it is sad to see something like state of origin fall into the trap. I thought they were onto a winning formula with 2 games in queensland and 1 in sydney and vice versa the next year. I guess at least by having it first up in melbourne they are guaranteed to get a nice healthy crowd which they may not of if it was the the third game and a dead rubber.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Sep 5 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Sep 5 2008, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b]

Are you taking the ****?

I love the avatar but Vic getting 1 game every year would put me off origin.

Ask a NSW fan like Sanzar - he wouldnt want his Sydney games, even if they are held at a dodgy stadium like Homebush and arent sellouts, taken away to be played in bloody Victoria. I'm bloody furious one of Queenslands game will be taken away from us and is going to be played in Victoria!!! Our games are sellouts and its the best stadium to host origins that, NSW fans would say that, Phil Gould and Willy Mason said that too. Remember this is between Queensland and NSW, I cant see Victoria anywhere in there.

Storm only get 10000 to there games and theyre the best team in the comp. Hardly much interest for a team based in Victoria, why would there be more interest for a match that doesnt feature a Victorian team. Victoria hosting a state of origin should only be a thing that happens once every 5-10 years.

f*** next year why dont we play one game each in Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne.

I hate where NRL is going.
[/b][/quote]
Clearly you only read the bits of my post that fit your agenda.

As I will now do as well.

ARE YOU TAKING THE ****??? Adelaide, Perth? We don't have NRL teams based there.

Seriously though, in the end QLD will probably need 2 games.

Because your whole argument was stupid.

NSW get bigger crowds than Victoria anyway.

I agreed with your comment about getting interest in Victoria which is why I thought we should have a game there, probably every 5-7 years not every three.

Your comment on that the 2010 series that in should be in the format of 2xQLD and 1xVic is absolutely disgusting that NSW should not even get 1 game there.

I dunno why you would say NSW get lower crowds than QLD.. pretty both in both there games this year they got bigger crowds than our 52000.

There was no argument from me at all. I was just trying to have a good old fashioned discussion with a certain level of decorum and intellect which looks at both sides of the argument for all parties involved.

I was merely stating facts, which the last 3 consisted of "for" arguments from each state.

Settle down a bit champ.

I never said Vic drew bigger crowds than NSW. I said "IF". If is hypothetical. I can't be sure if NSW can draw a bigger crowd next year and neither can you. Its quite simply hypothetical.

Don't go getting hot under the collar for no reason and just read whats there, not what you think is there :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Sep 5 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This ****** me off for a few reasons.
1. Last time I checked state of origin was between QLD and NSW, not Victoria.
2. Queensland should be hosting two games, this shouldve been done in a year where Sydney host two games, because Queensland games sellout in 90 minutes, both Sydney games werent even sellouts.
3. Would AFL fans like it if Sydney took the AFL Grand Final away from the MCG
4. I'm predicting NSW will win now. When QLD broke the three year drought in 2006, one of the Sydney games was in Melbourne and we won and then we the next three in a row. Stupid superstition but I dont see us winning 4 in a row anyway so NSW will win next year imo, if they drop crap players like Mason too.[/b]

1.Quite right the tards should restricted to just hosting test matches
2. Sydney is the centre of the known universe didnt you know?
3. We wouldnt do that we arent desperate for money.Not to mention our retarded cousins accross the border would get all pre-menstrual.Thats okay we can just take the premiership away from them at the home of victorian football!. :cheers: :bana:
4. Thats what NSW has being saying since we started winning again. C'mon you Maroons!

well atleast people will go to the game in melbourne not like the people in sydney they would to up to a game of tiddelwinks in melbourne

76000 went to the games in Sydney, obviously no one went.

many factors which i can agree with, unbelieveable but nsw people have passion, just no where near as much as queenslanders

ANZ stadium is a shitty stadium in the middle of nowhere, its ruining sport in sydney. NRL/AFL games should not be played there

NRL = surbanan grounds/SFS (unfortunetly they need money so they go to ANZ, so why dont they rename SFS ANZ stadium instead or another sponsor lol)
AFL = SCG (a great stadium to watch footy/cricket in, dunno why they dont play there anymore)

Latest posts