• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Video Refs

V

Vambo

Last night (Quims v Wigan) the decisons made by the video ref were quite frankly baffling.

Can someone please tell me why we persist with it?

Check out this crap from the NRL:

NRL season 2009 marks the biggest overhaul of the rugby league's rules in history of the game, including the lure of more tries than ever with only "glaring" mistakes to stop the video referee awarding a try.

Changes include:

THE introduction of two on-field referees;

PLAYERS not having to control the ball while scoring a try and being able to ground it with their arm;

FORCING the attacking team to stay bound to the scrum, with backs who rush to pack down in order to have time suspended forced to contest the scrum;

AWARDING tap kicks from penalties 10m in from touch, not 20m;

STOPPING the video referee assisting on stripping-the-ball and foul-play decisions;

CUTTING reliance on the video ref, to make the game more fluid.

The introduction of two referees is shaping as one biggest rule changes in the games history.

It was implemented to stop referees tiring. It is predicted the referee's average maximum heartbeat will drop from 180 to 170 this year under the new rule, while still controlling 80 per cent of the game.

So... you no longer have to ground the ball properly and only 'glaring' mistakes (like not grounding the fookin' ball properly?) will see a try disallowed.
Wonderful <_<
May as well allow forward passes as well....

I'm all for the Video Ref to be honest, I just think Ben Thaler should have gone to Specsavers, one of the decision's was a complete disgrace.

No excuse Mr Thaler I'm affraid.

This sounds great, it'll be like American football eventually, you'll just have to get over the line and throw the ball down.

Sarcasm obvz.

Seems to me that the most controversy in televised RL games surrounds the video ref and I'm constantly amazed at some of the decisions. I'd much rather have a fairer playing field and rely on the instincts of the match ref.

The big problem I have with the video referee is that the benefit of the doubt going to the attacking team now appears to have gone. But then you get odd decisions that it doesn't.

Mr Thaler, who I think is one of the best referees we have, made some very curious calls on Saturday, each contradicting the other. He gave a Harlequins try when, in my opinion, the ball clearly bounced forward and should have been disallowed. Benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

Next, we have a decision to check the grounding for the Quins. Personally, I thought it was a try. Wigan, in the last minute, have an almost identical try given. Benefit of the doubt goes against Quins, for Wigan. I'm not saying this because it's Wigan, it just highlights the inconsistency.

If I wanted to question the officiating in regards to Wigan I could always mention Phil Bailey's "try." ;)

If we didn't have the video refs there'd be no talking points and for me I love learning the sport via these kinda decisions sure there's been a couple dodgy decisions so far & some questionable decisions but it's part of the game I actually like.

So i say keep the video refs.

I'll probably keep watching less and less rugby league after the slowness and bullshit the video ref brings into the game. Now players are asking for the video ref to check whether if the penalty that went against them was right or not. It's ridiculous. You watch the old days and a try was given or not given, refs were often more right than the video ref is today. Its either a try or not a try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 5 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll probably keep watching less and less rugby league after the slowness and bullshit the video ref brings into the game. Now players are asking for the video ref to check whether if the penalty that went against them was right or not. It's ridiculous. You watch the old days and a try was given or not given, refs were often more right than the video ref is today. Its either a try or not a try.[/b]

Ironic isn't it? A game that prides itself on it's speed and the amount of time that the ball is in play is reduced to a standstill after most tries.

One ref took 4 minutes to make a call the other season!

Latest posts