• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Waikato v Tasman

I agree. Donald copps so much crap from the media- he's auctually played very well

That's absolute bullcrap

Donald has like 19 test caps

yes he hasn't been perfect in all of them. The first french test wasn't great but the AB's forward pack got the snot kicked out of it all day and gave him utter crap service. First test against the Boks last year wasn't great. Next game though he played better, lost the game though but it was not to do with his performance at all. The other game that comes to mind was the Asian test where he played at 12 outside carter, it didn't quite come off though it was a messy game and no one looked good that day, it was an ugly game for most players.

People tend to forget that in those 19 test caps he's also played some match winning games. The reason he started at 12 in that Asian test was because he came off the bench and had an awesome game that turned a match against Australia in Brisbane just prior to that. Infact he's never had a bad game off the bench for the AB's, he's either come on and done his job well or exceled and helped turn the game in the AB's favour. Another game to pinpoint would be Vs. AUS in Auckland last year where he was surely man of the match. Kicked 6 goals and controled the game perfectly.

So really does 1 bad game a couple of average games and some good games and 3-4 very good performances in 19 tests make for a failed international player?

people seem to pass all the blame for the losses to the Boks last year on Donald even though the AB's lineout was a complete and total failure. And I put that down partly to the media who replayed one mistake of donalds where he dropped a high ball over and over again.

Something I'll also point out is that Donald has always played very well at home for the AB's. And it's worth pointing out that the World Cup next year is going to be at home...

No he's not the messiah and he's no Dan Carter (But who is other than Dan himself?). But he is a very good player in his own right and doesn't diserve the crap he gets on message boards.

To condense my point down..

Donald has had 19 games, Cruden has had about 100 minutes.
If you can't write off Donald yet you sure as hell cant write off Cruden. Donald has had enough of a chance to stake his claim on the spot. He has had 19 chances, he has shown us everything he can do and where his limitations are at international level.
Now how about we give Cruden the same chances to see if he can offer something better?

Also, you say Donald wasn't that bad, and over all i would agree. But some plays he looked horrible, i have always thought that he is a 12 playing at 10, he just doesnt have the brain and instincts down to be a worldclass international 10. Crudens one opportunity was no worse than some of the games Donald has played in the past.

I'm not comparing Donald to Cruden

I just think when people cast judgement on players like donald they need to look at the big picture, as I pointed out donald has 19 caps. Of those 19 in my opinion and I do think I'm a fair judge on it. He's only had 1 for sure and 3 at the most performances that I would say were not up to scratch. People tend to focus on those performances and forget that he's also had some game turning and match winning performances for the all blacks as well. And as I've also pointed out he's never had a bad game off the bench and he's never had a bad game in NZ.

he and Rokocoko copped the flack on message boards for the poor tri nations last year when it was clear and obvious to me that the lineout was the clear and obvious difference between the AB's and Springbok. The AB's IMO would have won the 2nd & 3rd springbok tests with a lineout that was up to standard.

Look around NZ rugby... Carter and Donald are the only two first 5's in NZ rugby that have proven long term track records at Super and international level. And they are the top two best punting & goal kicking 10's in NZ.

Delainy, Slade, Burquest, Repia, kirkpatrick, Brett & Cruden - none of them have even been able to take ownership of a super14 #10 jersey yet.

I honestly believe Donald has a role to play for the AB's yet, look at his form now, the skillset, experience and attributes he has makes him very important.

Next would have to be Slade im my book he will get a good run for the highlanders and he needs to prove he can kick for goal ~75%+

2011 just may be too early for cruden to get settled at international level. Considering he maybe hasn't finished getting up to super level, plus his goal & positional kicking isn't up to the mark and that should be the first thing he gets sorted. For sure he's got some spunk though and could be a real asset come 2015 RWC :)

Latest posts