• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales 'A'?

D

DuncTheDoodle

I've been wondering this for a long time: Why on Earth don't Wales have an 'A' team? I understand the likelyhood is that it's down to money, but not only does Wales (I belive so, at least) have more proffesional players than Scotland, who have an A team, but the likelyhood is many people would go and watch them, too.

There was something unusualy exciting about the Summer Tour this year, with the likes of Dan Biggar, Daniel Evans and Sam Warbutton in the place of Stephen Jones, Lee Byrne and Martyn Williams whilst they where on the Lions tour. I'm afarid this will be lost for another four years, unless Wales do go ahead an decide upon making an 'A' team. Prefrably with a better name than Wales 'A', though. (England Saxons and Argentina Jaguars sound much better than just Eng/Arg 'A')

What, like Young Dragons or something?
It is all down to money, by the way. Would be nice if we could have a second team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jul 12 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What, like Young Dragons or something?
It is all down to money, by the way. Would be nice if we could have a second team.[/b]

And they look as mighty as main Wales team?

it is down to money
and theyd probably say that its pointless because of the fact that the up and coming welsh stars are playing for the U20s so why bother

although i think it would be a great idea

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Nov 22 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it is down to money
and theyd probably say that its pointless because of the fact that the up and coming welsh stars are playing for the U20s so why bother

although i think it would be a great idea[/b]

even such a (financially) disadvantaged country like Georgia has A team, I have been on their match as they won

I think the nicknames are stupid. It's like pretending being on an A team is cooler than it is.

Just call it an A team. Like Ireland. The best A team in the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Nov 22 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and theyd probably say that its pointless because of the fact that the up and coming welsh stars are playing for the U20s so why bother[/b]
Because there are up and coming players older than 19 :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 23 2009, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the nicknames are stupid. It's like pretending being on an A team is cooler than it is.

Just call it an A team. Like Ireland. The best A team in the world.[/b]

Agreed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 22 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Nov 22 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and theyd probably say that its pointless because of the fact that the up and coming welsh stars are playing for the U20s so why bother[/b]
[/b][/quote]

:bravo: :lol: yeah but thats something they would try and say

LeksoRugby - i mean that the WRU probably wouldnt pay for it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 22 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Just call it an A team. Like Ireland. The best A team in the world.[/b]

Normally, monkeypigeon, you know I'd agree with you...
But weren't the "A-Team" The best A Team in the world?
the-a-team.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Nov 23 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 22 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Nov 22 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

:bravo: :lol: yeah but thats something they would try and say

LeksoRugby - i mean that the WRU probably wouldnt pay for it
[/b][/quote]

Oh yes I understood

I dont really understand the financial issues here. Surely the small financial burden (which nations with far less cash than the machine that is the WRU) is worth paying for the development of the main Wales team. It doesn't stick with me.

Perhaps the argument stems from the regions who may argue that is that we don't have enough players to have a Wales 'A' an U20's and still let our regions compete in competitions such as the marvellous LVE cup? As always with the WRU its probably down to some in house politics rather than, all be it strange, money.

Gatland has said when he took the job over he would like to see the Wales 'A' happen again!

I saw a Wales A game years ago. It was vs England A at Ashton Gate. Wales A won if I remember rightly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Nov 24 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont really understand the financial issues here. Surely the small financial burden (which nations with far less cash than the machine that is the WRU) is worth paying for the development of the main Wales team. It doesn't stick with me.

Perhaps the argument stems from the regions who may argue that is that we don't have enough players to have a Wales 'A' an U20's and still let our regions compete in competitions such as the marvellous LVE cup? As always with the WRU its probably down to some in house politics rather than, all be it strange, money.[/b]

It's to do with the players I feel. The regions don't have enough 'quality' players for a Wales 'A' squad. I think that playing the best players from the Welsh Premiership would also help I feel. Basically they don't want an 'A' side if they can't win games!

Latest posts