• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Australia

Fair result in the end. We all saw the lack of creativity from 9-13 hurting Wales' attacking opportunities, which is exactly what happened. The pack as a whole were superb, Lydiate the quietest of the lot, but doing some hard work. I though Warburton was superb bar a coulple of penalties given away. He is so quick to the breakdown that he simply got there before Pocock 9 times out of 10. Pocock was good again, but not quite as effective as last year against Wales. Gethin Jenkins showed again why he's considered by many to be the best prop in the world, to dominate a scrum like that AND play like another backrower was phenomenal.

In the backs, Bishop was awesome in defense and was the most threatening in attack aswell. Very disapointed with Stephen Jones today, he was good in defense as always but simply could not do much with ball in hand. Missed a couple of kicks he should easily have landed aswell. Shanks was very similar imo, just didn't offer anything to this team really, not that he was bad, just extremely average. I was most dissapointed with Shane Williams though, he should have tackled O'Connor in the lead up to Beale's try and didn't really get into the game in attack. Harries wasn't much better, fell off numerous tackles and only showed his attacking flair in the last 5mins.

Aus were never in denger of loosing that match. Pocock and Elsom carried your forwards kicking and screamign through that game. Can't for the life of me work out why Elsom doesn't help scrum time though! Backs were deadly as always, even though Wales' defense was awesome. Beale was a joy to watch whenever he got the ball in his hands.

This game kinda reminded me of the Wales v France game in the grand slam game of '08. That day, Wales just fanned out all day long giving France no room to attack, but scored when we had the opportunity. Today the Wallabies did the same. I actually though Aus' defense was very good today. A few missed tackles, but there was always someone else to complete the tackle. Whilst Wales were making yards with the bif runners, we still couldn't produce any space our wide for Shane, Harries and Hook to attack. I think we missed Byrne hugely today, Hook simply offers nothing in attack from fullback. A fullback has to hit the line from depth at angles, Hook does not do this. Whilst he was ok today, he was far from the player we know he can be. He looked best when he stepped into the 10 role in the last 5 mins.

For the next game I want Hook back in the centre with maybe Czekaj at 15. Start Rees as I though he added some threat around the rucks. And maybe start Martyn at 7 with Warburon at 6. Lydiate was ok, but didn't stand out as I was hoping, Whilst Martyn added something different when he came on.

Yeap the commentators were arses. Jonathan Davis is a baised, Welsh bugger. Completely taking the **** out of the Australian forwards. I swore so much at them while watching the match. One question for them 'If the Australia forwards are so rubbish, how come did Wales not win? Thought every rugby game was won in the forwards but the backs decide by how many?'
Oh c'mon. The Aussies front row were appalling and deserved to be mocked at scrum time. If France play anywhere near their potential they will slaughter Aus up front and they'll have the firepower in the backs to make it pay, something Wales simply did not have today. They are never, ever going to win the world cup when their scrum gives away a penalty practically every time imo.

Last edited:
Is Czekaj Welsh born? Also way to potentially ruin the spectacle by leaving the roof open.

they do stuff like this all the time, leave the roof open, prevent opposition players from practising on the field before the game, prevent the ab's from doing the haka, try to get the ab's to wear an alt strip, anything to get whatever little advantage they can. bad sportsmanship. they'll leave the roof open before the game against fiji too like they did in 2005, but like 05 it will probably help fiji more than them

Oh c'mon. The Aussies front row were appalling and deserved to be mocked at scrum time. If France play anywhere near their potential they will slaughter Aus up front and they'll have the firepower in the backs to make it pay, something Wales simply did not have today. They are never, ever going to win the world cup when their scrum gives away a penalty practically every time imo.
They were poor yes, but they were against a Lions front row. Also with the lose of Moore before the match was huge. He is a very strong in the scrum, more so than the hooker that started. Finally Alexander and Robinson are only just back from injury. Just thought the complete mocking of them was very uncalled for.

they do stuff like this all the time, leave the roof open, prevent opposition players from practising on the field before the game, prevent the ab's from doing the haka, try to get the ab's to wear an alt strip, anything to get whatever little advantage they can. bad sportsmanship. they'll leave the roof open before the game against fiji too like they did in 2005, but like 05 it will probably help fiji more than them

Erm..... It's a retractable roof, we can choose to have it open or closed. I hoped they'd close it, but can understand why they they didn't considering the Wallabies backline. Don't go into the haka debate again, it was both sides being petty and childish!!!!!! When did Wales get the AB's to wear an alternative strip, unless your talking about the Welsh black strip in '05, which was a special anniversary strip not some sneaky ploy to stop the ab's wearing their black strip!!!! Again, it's a retractable roof, that means the option of closing it or leaving it open...

They were poor yes, but they were against a Lions front row. Also with the lose of Moore before the match was huge. He is a very strong in the scrum, more so than the hooker that started. Finally Alexander and Robinson are only just back from injury. Just thought the complete mocking of them was very uncalled for.

Yeh you're probably right. They are professional commentators afterall. Suppose you've gotta take it for what it is, Jiffy loves to have a joke, he'll generally have a little fun. I find it quite entertaining really, but then again my team isn't on the recieving end of it.... I think you've gotta take it as a little light harted benter and nothing else. Afterall there's no denying the Aus scrum were abismal, and they were taking an age before setting each scrum.

Last edited:
Great defensive effort for most of the game, but ultimately we wheren't good enough. By going with Bish/Shanks we stopped Austrailia scoring tries (It's no coincidence that all of their tries bar Pockock's where scored from down the wings.) but couldn't get going. The moment Richie Rees came on we looked so much more conirdent with ball in hand and he deserved his first international try.

The centres played well, as did Warburton. Harries looked good going forward, but did miss a coupel of tackles. However, Gethin Jenkins was amazing. Total control of the scrum and made 4 turnovers and 7 tackles. Incredible for a prop.

Beale deserved MOTM, though. Much of the Austrailian backline played well, Mitchell was annonymous and Giteau was running up blind alleys, but, yeah, they deserved the win.

Thanks.

Lost interest for a while but I've been watching some matches since the new season began. Might become a regular thing again.

No offence, but losing your no.1 hooker before the match generally screws your scrum a bit. It also doesn't help when you're last game was on the other side of the world... Wales were missing a few players, but the Aussies were more disrupted in many ways. The fact that they put on 3 (though I counted 4 - double movement my arse) was a testament to how good they are with the ball now. All this rubbish in the North about SH sides not knowing how to defend was exposed for the hogwash it is, with both Australia and the All Blacks proving they are better both in attack and defence against their NH opponents this week.

Totally agree about the defense. Although I think there were weknesses in the Aus defense to expose today, but Wales didn't manage it. In order to cover Cooper and Geteaus poor defense in the midfield, Aus gambled by packing midfield and having less defenders around rucks and mauls. It worked today mainly because the defense aroud the rucks was very good by those players there. But I think that could be exposed if even one or two tackles are missed.

Of course loosing a Hooker is always gonna effect things, but injuries happen. I don't think Moore would have made much difference tbh. Wales couldn't deal with the injuies in the backline and that's something we've gotta adress. Our strength in depth is improving, but a couple of positions needs strengthenign further.

Aus backline are lethal, even against a well organised defense. I think that Welsh defensive effore would have restricted most other teams to one try or less, but Aus still found space quite easily on occasion. I think the ref got the double movement thing right. He was well tackled before wriggling his whole body forward. You're allowed to place the ball with your arms, but moving your whole body is not allowed. However there were a few occasions where Wales were lucky not to concede another couple of tries, that goes to further show how good the Aus bbackline is.

Last edited:
Haha yeah... that's why...

The difference is this stadium does have a roof and was made with one for a purpose you would think. Don't kid yourself, the roof is option to try and gain an edge. It's a home game so they have a right to do so. I just think the encouragement of negative tactics is not good for the game.

Well I based my comments on this article

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...ains-millennium-roof-decision-91466-27609166/

... I believe everything I read in the media :D ... even when Robbie Deans says that the reason that the Wallabies scrum gets penalised so much is that the opposition convinces the Refs that the Wallabies are infringing :p

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rum-robbie-deans/story-e6frey4i-1225946849139

Yes it would be HIGHLY UNUSUAL for any team to try to get an advantage :p ... motives aside, i'm not convinced that keeping a roof closed is actually an advantage to teams wanting to run the ball anyway - Millennium Stadium and Melbourne have both had problems with the surface giving way under the players feet, in the past, when they've kept the roof closed

Is it just me or are these Welsh commentators overcompensating with their bagging of Australian forwards because their boys don't know how to pass and run with the ball?

... What happened? ... did Kearnsy and Marto trip up over their Green and Gold pom-pom's at the Airport :D ... all commentators are biased to their teams

Didn't see the game only the result. I guess AUs was continuing their great form from last weekend.

Australia was not that good but still 2 classes better than Wales

Maybe start Martyn at 7 with Warburon at 6. Lydiate was ok, but didn't stand out as I was hoping, Whilst Martyn added something different when he came on.

I was impressed with Lydiate- You wouldn't have been able to tell it was his third cap, and first game for Wales in around a year. He slotted in perfectly and looked comfortable in the No. 6 shirt, as if he'd been doing it all his life, while in reality he's had a few minutes off the bench once then been shown up by the Ozzies the following week. He looks to me like he'll be Wales' blindside for many years to come. He made 2 breaks and a fair few tackles. His carrying was good, even if he once should have passed when he chose to drive it up instead.

Good point Dunc, and I'm sure he'll get better and better as he get's more gametime with Wales. It's good to have these options finally available to us in the backrow. I think we need to play the game slightly differently against SA, as we need to try and beat them in the backs, for that I think Martyn Williams is vital. Ryan Jones will return if he's fit at 8, so there might be just the blidsode position open with Lydiate, Warburton, Jonathan Thomas and probably Andy Powell all competing for the spot. Out of those I'd probably give Warburton another shot as he was outstanding today imo. As soon as he went off Pocock got a further two turnovers!

Before I get my views in here got to say one or two things. Firstly some of the members in here need to think before posting / read the rules of the game / knows their facts of the game. I get a little sick and tired coming into this forum and reading some people's comments.

Please provide a link how the WRU stop teams practising on the pitch before kick off, I've been to almost all of Wales home games for the last ... 10 years bar the Friday Night games in AI. And I can clearly tell you for a fact that this has never happened. They did not prevent the All Blacks doing the Haka, If you want an explanation ill give you one if you so require. Short story, Wales wanted a reply to the Haka which they were incline to ask, NZ did not want to agree to the singing of the Welsh National Anthem after it. This occurred in the very first game Wales faced the Haka and the crowd / players responded to the Haka in this way. Wales did it because it was their 125th Anniversary. So I just like to tell you, before posting one thing a little sorry would not go a miss / hands up I got it wrong!

Yeap the commentators were arses. Jonathan Davis is a baised, Welsh bugger. Completely taking the **** out of the Australian forwards. I swore so much at them while watching the match. One question for them 'If the Australia forwards are so rubbish, how come did Wales not win? Thought every rugby game was won in the forwards but the backs decide by how many?'

Biased be may be but the Australian front row should have been yellow carded for repeat infringement. FACT. It constantly went down and could not deal with the pressure of the hit, it crabbed across the mark. Infact the only thing I can criticise Wayne Barnes today was he should have yellow carded to an Australian prop. The Oz pack was sort neutralised today, Wales lineout functioned well until Bennett got in the mix and I thought Pocock was quiet for most parts of the game. Australia's first try came from good pressure from the Oz backs after winning the penalty. Wales today were poor in their kicking game.

Australia was not that good but still 2 classes better than Wales

Not two classes above im afraid just a notch ... Wales had their chances but failed to take them. Saying Australia was not that good takes away for me some of the good performances for Wales which to me is unfair.

Now to the game, Wales more than held their own today. Was pleased we were within 9 points considering we were missing a few players and as I said we held our own. I got to admit that I was really pleased with how Wayne Barnes officiated today, got a lot of things right and thats always pleasing to see.

Scrum time Wales had the advantage no doubt, Moore was a loss buy you cannot blame for the props going straight to ground / not holding the weight because the main / scrummaging hooker was not present. Lineouts, Wales functioned well until Huw Bennett came on and it went to pot.

Wales missed two crucial penalties at goal today yet again, and at crucial times during the game. Stephen Jones has missed a fair few crucial ones down the line and its frustrating to watch but also has led to Wales possibly losing lead advantages that you never know could have ended in a different result.

Got to say im impressed by the Australian backline, Wales kicked ball to often to the back three that allowed for counter attack threats which they just relished. Beale was pretty outstanding today. However my opinion of Quade Cooper has not changed because some of the little ****les I spotted whilst in the crowd shows he is just a bully who does not like it when people have a go back at him ala McCaw last week. Geina just seems to have loads of time on the ball which is scary and his pickup from the charge down kick on route to Beale's try was sick.

Backrow was good, only problem is that JT is not a real threat at 8 for Wales and its something that needs to be looked at in the future, Lydiate and Warburton looked good together, pleasing to be honest, and shows some future there for Wales.

Also 53,127 was the official Attendance ... which frankly was a poor show from the WRU, ticket pricing was expensive so the WRU need to look to address this.

Overall, Wales showed promise but need to cut out silly infringement errors and be a little more clinical in what they do. Think we will run South Africa close and beat Fiji but NZ are in a class of their own.

Last edited:
We've certainly got a bit of a problem at 8. Jonathan Thomas was quite frankly useless today and considering he was playing behind a pack on the front foot, that's disapointing. Gatland's already made it clear that Ryan Jones will be back when fit, so it'll probably be him slotting in at 8 next week. He would have certainly done better than JT today. However, I'd be seriously tempted to play Andy Powell, as it's obvious Lydiate and Warburton can deal with the workload just fine, that frees up space for a ball running 8 like Powell, who can explode off the back of our solid scrum and make some hard yards.

Here's my player ratings for Wales:

01 Gethin Jenkins : 9. Excellent in the tight dominating the scrum and acting like another flanker around the fieild.
02 Mathew Rees : 8. Part of an effective front row. Good lineout throwing, prominent ball carrier.
03 Adam Jones : 8. Excellent scrummaging.
04 Bradley Davies : 7. Carried the ball well and was our best lineout option. Worked hard all game.
05 Alun-Wyn Jones : 7. Getting back to his best.
06 Dan Lydiate : 6/7. Worked hard and grafter all game.
07 Sam Warburton : 8. gave away three penalties at the start, but most good opensides do as they get a feel for the ref. Excellent at the breakdown.
08 Jonathan Thomas : 3. What did he do all game?

09 Mike Phillips : 5. Still think he's a bit slow getting the ball out. Physical yes, but didn't get very far with that aspect of his game today. Some decent box-kicking, but too much of it?
10 Stephen Jones : 5. One of his poorer performances. Missed two easy kicks by his standards and didn't get the backline moving. Poor kicking out of hand.
11 Shane Williams : 3. Worst game for years. Didn't have much chance with ball in hand, granted. Poor defense though really let him down.
12 Andrew Bishop : 7. Best of the backs. Awesome in defense and ran hard. Was part of an uncreative midfield, not his fault though.
13 Tom Shanklin : 6. Also good in defense, and made some yards in attack. Doesn't work alongside Bish though, again not his fault. Got yellow carded!
14 Will Harries : 4. Struggled physically. Couple of good runs at the end showing his pace and potential.
15 James Hook : 5. Isn't a fullback sorry, so matter how versatile he is. Doesn't offer any threat from so deep. Did ok defensively, but was also guilty of some poor kicking.

16 Paul James : -. Not long enough to make an impact.
17 Huw Bennett : 4. Lineout went to pot after he came on. C'mon Gatland, realise he's useless already!
18 Deiniol Jones : 4. Only thing I noticed him doing was knocking on the first lineout throw that went his way!
19 Martyn Williams : 7. First act was to turn the ball over. Offered something different in attack, and made some yards.
20 Richie Rees : 8. Scored a try and helped speed the Welsh game up.
21 Dan Biggar : 7. Had a positive impact for once, but didn't do all that much. Thought his distribution was a little quicker and more precise than Jones' today.
22 Chris Czekaj : -. 5 mins on the field. No chance to show anything really.

Last edited:
I think my favourite part of the totally biased, inept and laughable commentary is when Wales did a poor kick out of their 22 straight down Quade Coopers throat, Cooper returned serve with a fantastic touch finder 5 metres out from the Welsh line, and one guy said something along the lines of "Good kick by Cooper, but it was he was forced to do so by some excellent Welsh play."

Oh dear.

We've certainly got a bit of a problem at 8. Jonathan Thomas was quite frankly useless today and considering he was playing behind a pack on the front foot, that's disapointing. Gatland's already made it clear that Ryan Jones will be back when fit, so it'll probably be him slotting in at 8 next week. He would have certainly done better than JT today. However, I'd be seriously tempted to play Andy Powell, as it's obvious Lydiate and Warburton can deal with the workload just fine, that frees up space for a ball running 8 like Powell, who can explode off the back of our solid scrum and make some hard yards.

Here's my player ratings for Wales:

01 Gethin Jenkins : 9. Excellent in the tight dominating the scrum and acting like another flanker around the fieild.
02 Mathew Rees : 8. Part of an effective front row. Good lineout throwing, prominent ball carrier.
03 Adam Jones : 8. Excellent scrummaging.
04 Bradley Davies : 7. Carried the ball well and was our best lineout option. Worked hard all game.
05 Alun-Wyn Jones : 7. Getting back to his best.
06 Dan Lydiate : 6/7. Worked hard and grafter all game.
07 Sam Warburton : 8. gave away three penalties at the start, but most good opensides do as they get a feel for the ref. Excellent at the breakdown.
08 Jonathan Thomas : 3. What did he do all game?

09 Mike Phillips : 5. Still think he's a bit slow getting the ball out. Physical yes, but didn't get very far with that aspect of his game today. Some decent box-kicking, but too much of it?
10 Stephen Jones : 5. One of his poorer performances. Missed two easy kicks by his standards and didn't get the backline moving. Poor kicking out of hand.
11 Shane Williams : 3. Worst game for years. Didn't have much chance with ball in hand, granted. Poor defense though really let him down.
12 Andrew Bishop : 7. Best of the backs. Awesome in defense and ran hard.
13 Tom Shanklin : 6. Also good in defense, and made some yards in attack. Doesn't work alongside Bish though. Got yellow carded!
14 Will Harries : 4. Struggled physically. Couple of good runs at the end showing his pace and potential.
15 James Hook : 5. Isn't a fullback sorry, so matter how versatile he is. Doesn't offer any threat from so deep. Did ok defensively, but was also guilty of some poor kicking.

16 Paul James : -. Not long enough to make an impact.
17 Huw Bennett : 4. Lineout went to pot after he came on. C'mon Gatland, realise he's useless already!
18 Deiniol Jones : 4. Only thing I noticed him doing was knocking on the first lineout throw that went his way!
19 Martyn Williams : 7. First act was to turn the ball over. Offered something different in attack, and made some yards.
20 Richie Rees : 8. Scored a try and helped speed the Welsh game up.
21 Dan Biggar : 7. Had a positive impact for once, but didn't do all that much. Thought his distribution was a little quicker and more precise than Jones' today.
22 Chris Czekaj : -. 5 mins on the field. No chance to show anything really.

Id go with that, but Phillips problem with his box kicking is that he does not get enough height on the ball, however I was impressed when the ball was to slow to come out was the fact he managed to control the pack well during the slow ball. Personally credit Australia for their amazing defence and being able to slow the ball down today also!

All JT did today was tackle and when he got ball in hand took a step back before going forward :lol: ... bad times

I'm starting to like Wayne Barnes, "Not a prop or second row, you're the special ones."

Latest posts