• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v New Zealand

What are some of you lot on?

Ryan Jones at 8 is a good choice although id have started Powell infront, people look at the Fiji game and believe Jones was terrible, one he wasn't and two when he played against South Africa he looked decent.

Tom James is a better option that either Aled Brew, The Czech and Prydie, he's on form and to be honest his attitude may be **** but his playing ability is there and someone who should have anther shot.

khaotix you are an embarrassment for being so petty and starting a stupid debate which no doubt some member from NZ will bait upon.

Without the likes of Henson, Roberts and Davies then Shanklin is the only option at 13, although I don't think Bishop has been on his game, still believe he's the man Wales should go with.

Oh don't start this bulls**t again! Every single team plays the ref as much as they possibly can, NZ are particularily good at it, but that doesn't make them cheats. To be honest with you, this topic, as well as the 'poaching' thing has been done to death numerous times, and it's all a load of sour grapes from jelous fans.

Dullonien, it's great to see someone with some common sense out there (along with Olyy of course), who realise that posts like that are exactly what you said, 'sour grapes'. I never treat Wales or any UK team with the disrespect idiots like khaotix treat New Zealand. They are really just trolls. One day when Wales win against New Zealand, it's guys like you who deserve to celebrate it, not them. When that actually happens, how would they like it if the win was denied them due to cheating all game, or robbed by the ref allegations?

To Cymro, I'm not baiting on it, I defusing it, by stating that it's idiotic individuals like him who talk rubbish, not good Welsh fans and that any decent kiwi will realise that. :)

Dullonien, it's great to see someone with some common sense out there (along with Olyy of course), who realise that posts like that are exactly what you said, 'sour grapes'. I never treat Wales or any UK team with the disrespect idiots like khaotix treat New Zealand. They are really just trolls. One day when Wales win against New Zealand, it's guys like you who deserve to celebrate it, not them. When that actually happens, how would they like it if the win was denied them due to cheating all game, or robbed by the ref allegations?

To Cymro, I'm not baiting on it, I defusing it, by stating that it's idiotic individuals like him who talk rubbish, not good Welsh fans and that any decent kiwi will realise that. :)

How was this aimed at you?

All Im worried about is the WUM's that will just bait on it. Pretty pathetic to be honest.

How was this aimed at you?

All Im worried about is the WUM's that will just bait on it. Pretty pathetic to be honest.

I wasn't saying it was aimed at me, I know it wasn't. :) You said, "a stupid debate which no doubt some member from NZ will bait upon". Your quite right, so I wanted to get in before that and politely explain that I realise there are lots of sensible Welsh posters who don't feel like Khaotix. I even put a little smiley face at the end so you knew I was just happily explaining why I responded to him and that I was all happy and in love.

You seem a little tense, do you need a cup of cocoa? :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9219855.stm

A little article about Carter and his upcoming record points breaker.

That's interesting and actually really reassuring to know that McCaw isn't stats motivated and that's another little part of what makes a good captain. He's focused on winning only, good stuff. Fair enough that Carter is though, a goal kicker with aims to keep topping his previous stats is probably a good thing.

I didn't like the part about Wales having a "winless autumn". I don't want them to beat us, but I'd really like them to have a really solid game and maybe bag 2-3 tries. Sometimes, but not often enough, we have had good open games between the two teams, it'd be pretty exciting to see another like that.

I think I'll be very bold and say that the welsh will push the all blacks reasonably close, or at least more so than Irealand and Scotland, this belief is not based on their recent form but the fact that there is still several players from the 2005 and 2008 grand slam teams must surely count for something. The welsh pack must front up and guys like Rees and Adam Jones must bring out performances similar to those seen in the 2nd lions test in 2009. If the welsh pack let the all blacks know from the first minute of the game that they are not going to be bullied and stand up to them for every minute until the final whistle the welsh could possibly push the all blacks close, however the all blacks superiority over every other team in the world will still see them prevail but by less than 10 points. People may laugh at these comments just now but we'll see after saturdays game whos laughing!

Wow, Cymro, surprised to see you bigging up Tom James :p

In all seriousness though, he was the only winger other than North who showed some good form on the weekend. He's also still got massive potential, and is obviously hungry for success, even if that comes out in completely the wrong ways sometimes. It would be a little odd for Gatland to promote a winger from the blue, straight into the starting 15, by-passing those already in the squad. But it will send out a message that even if you're picked in the squad, he has no problem bringing in someone else if you're not performing.

I think I'll be very bold and say that the welsh will push the all blacks reasonably close, or at least more so than Irealand and Scotland, this belief is not based on their recent form but the fact that there is still several players from the 2005 and 2008 grand slam teams must surely count for something. The welsh pack must front up and guys like Rees and Adam Jones must bring out performances similar to those seen in the 2nd lions test in 2009. If the welsh pack let the all blacks know from the first minute of the game that they are not going to be bullied and stand up to them for every minute until the final whistle the welsh could possibly push the all blacks close, however the all blacks superiority over every other team in the world will still see them prevail but by less than 10 points. People may laugh at these comments just now but we'll see after saturdays game whos laughing!

Quite alot of people have been predicting a similar thing. We will have our strongest front 5 available on Saturday, and imo it's up there with the best in the world at the moment. I think a bigger area of concern is the backrow. We have the potential to match them, with Lydiate and Warberton both extremely strong and mobile players who are capable of taking the game to the NZ players. Ryan Jones may not be the ball carrier Read, or even Powell is, but he does bring great work ethic to the team (would have still gone with Powell myself though).

It's odd to have more confidence in our forwards than our backs, but that's the way I feel at the moment. Hook hasn't really set the world alight so far this season, infact he's been distinctly average. Shanks is playing well, but nowhere neer his previous form of 05-08, when I considered him one of Wales' most important players. Lee Byrne is a big worry at the moment aswell. He needs to calm down, and not rush everything like he did against Fiji. North and James on the wings will be quite an interesting prospect if true, huge talent in both. This team is miles better than the one seen against Fiji, hopefully they'll play like it.

Last edited:
well its gonna be an interesting blinkin weekend.... I think the big confusion about starting line up would be the left wing. Obviously Shane's out for 10 weeks (at least) so we now have to find a person to really fill the role till he comes back. Wales tend to play well with 1 "bruiser" and 1 "elusive" wing. With North being the more "powerful" hard runner, imo wales should go for an elusive left wing (who that should be tho i really dont know). I think wales will probably go with a bigger wing, cause NZ will probs play a kicking game and try and compete (and probs win), so i guess a wing thats safe under the high ball.
I feel this match will go very similar to the ireland match last weekend, i feel wales will compete for one half and all blacks will then turn up the gear. Will be very interesting how wales will defend against SBW's crazy offloads (really cant wait to watch him play :D). Wales to play a tight game, cause we try and go wide, McCaw will steal it and counterattack.
One thing which was really really interesting... Anyone see Gwyn Jones's analysis of AB's on SCRUM V??? some really interesting points there, maybe Dr Jones should be analysis for wales ;)

How long is Halfpenny out for? I can see him filling in for Shane during the 6N (if his injury puts him out that long) - if he's on form when he gets back
His long range kicking is also an asset

How long is Halfpenny out for? I can see him filling in for Shane during the 6N (if his injury puts him out that long) - if he's on form when he gets back
His long range kicking is also an asset

Apparently back now within a couple of weeks or so!

Good news all round,
Odd that he's pretty much the 2nd most experience wing after Shane, and he's only been on the scene a few years,
Sods law dictates he'll injure his thigh a week or two before the 6N kicks off though

well its good to hear that halfpenny will be back soon :D :D Wales look as if they'll have an exiting wing paring in Halfpenny and North after world cup :p Just need full back replacement for Byrne (he'll be finishing in next few years if my maths are half right lol. I just hope that wales can play with a little creativity on saturday, at least score 1 try, that isn't a cheap penalty try :D

Good to see the WRU let the All Blacks have their minute silence for those 29 miners who lost their lives in the Pike River Mine here in NZ. Also the AB's will be wearing white armbands to show respect. (if you were wondering why they were wearing them :-\ )

Good to see the WRU let the All Blacks have their minute silence for those 29 miners who lost their lives in the Pike River Mine here in NZ. Also the AB's will be wearing white armbands to show respect. (if you were wondering why they were wearing them :-\ )

That is very good. Wales certainly have had some tough times with mining throughout history, so I'm sure they can sympathise. A very sombre moment, no doubt.

All Blacks team named. 6 changes from the Ireland test.

1.Tony Woodcock
2.Kevin Mealamu
3.Owen Franks
4.Brad Thorn
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Jerome Kaino
7.Richie McCaw (Capt)
8.Kerrian Read
9.Jimmy Cowan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Hosea Gear
12.Sonny-Bill Williams
13.Conrad Smith
14.Isaia Toeava
15.Mils Muliaina

16.Andrew Hore
17.John Afoa
18.Anthony Boric
19.Daniel Braid
20.Andy Ellis
21.Stephen Donald
22.Ma'a Nonu

This team is strong but I do think some people are lucky (Mainly on the bench)
I expect SBW to have his best game in the black jersey yet.
I also hope Donald gets some game time as the last game he played in he was good.

If only Jamie Roberts was playing, would be good to see him school SBW again :p

Looks a very strong team, would've had Boric starting though. Also Alby Mathewson on the bench, and Corey Jane over Ma'a (unless he's injured?)

All Blacks team named. 6 changes from the Ireland test.

1.Tony Woodcock
2.Kevin Mealamu
3.Owen Franks
4.Brad Thorn
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Jerome Kaino
7.Richie McCaw (Capt)
8.Kerrian Read
9.Jimmy Cowan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Hosea Gear
12.Sonny-Bill Williams
13.Conrad Smith
14.Isaia Toeava
15.Mils Muliaina

16.Andrew Hore
17.John Afoa
18.Anthony Boric
19.Daniel Braid
20.Andy Ellis
21.Stephen Donald
22.Ma'a Nonu

This team is strong but I do think some people are lucky (Mainly on the bench)
I expect SBW to have his best game in the black jersey yet.
I also hope Donald gets some game time as the last game he played in he was good.
I hope Donald gets no time on the field, Dan Carter will be breaking the record, so I hope he has a full 80.

Why Ellis is on the bench is beyond me, Mathewson is a far better player, and Ellis has been average at absolute best, and yet Mathewson has had only one match during this Grand Slam. I'd have given Rokocoko another shot, especially if this could well be his last ever match (I hope not!). I'd have had Nonu in for SBW, but that's just me, and I can see Nonu can offer more from the bench. Other than that, no complaints.

I hope Donald gets no time on the field, Dan Carter will be breaking the record, so I hope he has a full 80.

Why Ellis is on the bench is beyond me, Mathewson is a far better player, and Ellis has been average at absolute best, and yet Mathewson has had only one match during this Grand Slam. I'd have given Rokocoko another shot, especially if this could well be his last ever match (I hope not!). I'd have had Nonu in for SBW, but that's just me, and I can see Nonu can offer more from the bench. Other than that, no complaints.

Agree that Cowan and Matthewson are the two that should be there.

If any rugby playing country in the world could understand about the Pike River disaster, it would be Wales. They have lost over 4,000 men to mine disasters the the last 140 years

Latest posts