• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v South Africa

The first one was a close decison however the second with the tackle in the air shouldn't have standed.

I am not starting this Cymro, I agreed with you. I always thought so highly of you but why are you on my ass today? What did I do to you? I am a big admirer of Wales in rugby. This is just a treat for me at the end of the year

So, if you disagreed there'd be a problem? I'm not sure I follow, must be a deleted post which changes the context of this.

Anyhow, I can't see this match and I have four sports channels. What is Sky doing in NZ?

Well that was a good game i guess... with it being so close i stand by saying if the ref saw the tackle in the air at least the game would've turned out differently..

Well CA, it's just the way Cymro told me something in a PM. Anyway, not worth going on about.

Alberts kicks the ball out of bounds (of all people) and the second victory within a week. Why Spies is MOTM I really don't have a clue.

@ Cymro: Wales could have easily won this. I guess either way this would have been a deserved win. SA better in the second half, Wales much better in the first.

No lets get this straight ....

One: You said Wales had easy penalties, I object to that, massively and I think its quite ignorant statement. Wales and South Africa were both allowed to get away with the most amazing things. The game was spoilt by Walsh, two South African tries were not tries, no matter how you argue it.

Two: Craig only thing thats been done is merging posts to stop the entire middle of this thread becoming just a one man post session. I told him this in a PM, it was one post after the other so merged them. Hardly a crime ...

Last edited:
Shocking refereeing. He missed (I count) twelve forward passes between the two teams and at least five knock ons. The first half should have ended after the knock-on, but no, SA get a penalty that puts them 4 ahead. If that hadn't of happened, Stephen would have kicked the penalty from straight infront of the posts to win the game. He missed countless high tackles as well. Plus the Bok prop wasn't binding, but he kept penalising Wales.

Anyway, George North. I bet Halfpenny's got his head in his hands. The guy is class.

Wales played much, much better than I expected after the match last week. George North was good, even in the physical duels.

Wales should have won this match. Gotta applaud SA in the second half though, they were bloody goon in patches. Yes the ref got some decisions wrong which handed SA some excellent attacking platforms, but I was very dissapointed in the Welsh defense on both occasions. Wtf was Phillips doing on Matfields try, why didn't he just tackle the bloke? Yes there was an overlap, but he had to just deal with what he could and that was to tackle Matfield and hope the ball died with him.

I thought Shanklin was appalling in the second half, and I have no idea why he wasn't replaced. Why kick the bloody ball when there's an overlap outside you and 3 mins left on the clock. Similarly why didn't he pass to Lee Byrne after making the break through the middle, chances were that Byrne would have gotten tackled by Steyn but he was in a better position than Shanks.

Good ending to a good game, some great defense from SA in that second half.

Overall though, Wales are certainly moving in the right direction now. Our forwards are standing up well, although we lacked scavengers today without Warburton and Gethin Jenkins which meant we struggled to deal with SA when they decided to keep hold of the ball through multiple phases. Our scrum was ok, although I'm not atall sure why Gatland brought Yapp on, as we all know he can't scrummage for ****. Our lineout also went particularily well, even stealing a few balls in the final 10mins. Our carying game was also very good on occasion, but at times is was also dismal.

No idea why Spies got motm, I didn't think he was all that good, although he did make quite a few carries. I think North should have got it considering he scored two tries on his debut and he also put in masses of work around the field. Wouldn't be surpries if he was up there with top Welsh ball carriers!

Congrats SA, but a lost chance there from us, again!

Shocking refereeing. He missed (I count) twelve forward passes between the two teams and at least five knock ons. The first half should have ended after the knock-on, but no, SA get a penalty that puts them 4 ahead. If that hadn't of happened, Stephen would have kicked the penalty from straight infront of the posts to win the game. He missed countless high tackles as well. Plus the Bok prop wasn't binding, but he kept penalising Wales.

Anyway, George North. I bet Halfpenny's got his head in his hands. The guy is class.

Law 5.7.e.

If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been
completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes
dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an
option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick
at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a
mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

Overall though, Wales are certainly moving in the right direction now. Our forwards are standing up well, although we lacked scavengers today without Warburton and Gethin Jenkins which meant we struggled to deal with SA when they decided to keep hold of the ball through multiple phases. Our scrum was ok, although I'm not atall sure why Gatland brought Yapp on, as we all know he can't scrummage for ****. Our lineout also went particularily well, even stealing a few balls in the final 10mins. Our carying game was also very good on occasion, but at times is was also dismal.

Got to disagree with missing Warburton, Williams did a good job today in the loose and tight and I dont think there would have been much difference in Warburton playing. What let Wales down was being offside and not working hard enough in defence.

Last edited:
Well yet again I have he feeling of "shoulda,woulda, coulda". Great match, extremely exiting and all lost by wales in the first 10 minutes of second half :( :( we just didn't wake up, and south africa (all credit to them) came out all guns blazing and capitalised on our lack of concentration. Yes some dodgy reffing did have an effect on the game but there were decisions favouring both sides; Shanklin did hold opposition for North's try but somehow i knew it would cancel out later in the game - lots of forward passes, hands in the ruck etc but then again i thought wales passed the ball forward at times.
The main key decisions on the welsh side was the kick through by Shanklin when there was a two men outside and "possibly" (and emphasise possibly) when he broke through and went on his own instead of passing inside (a dummy could have forced a early tackle, leading to a penalty in front of the posts). All in all i have the same feeling as last week in that we should have really beating SA, but yet again a lack of concentration for 10/15 mins cost us the game, things i guess are looking better, and just that 5% off getting a southern hemisphere scalp. Really thought pack had a good match, nice to see powell playing well and not driving golf Karts :p Was the first time i've seen North play, and my oh my its scary how big he is.... looks good and only time will tell i guess :D
If past autumn series' are anything to go by, it seems as if Gatland will pick a "experimental" side for Fiji clash. IMO i feel wales should play their best side possible just to get continuity in the side, so that combinations (if they stay the same) can really "gel" more. I hate it when Wales (in the past) put a "weakened" side out against the pacific islanders (i do feel its slightly disrespectful because the "islanders" really do play great stuff), and end up either edging out a 5 point win or even loose.
GATLAND PLAY YOUR BEST SIDE and get a Wales "A" side to play your "Fringe" players!!!!

Maybe not Cymro, but there was no-one today that actually managed to get in at the tackle area and disrupt the ball on a consistent basis. Martyn Williams had a good game no doubt, not denying that, and maybe Warburton would have made no difference.

Can anyone explain to me why none of the South African players got yellow carded in the final 5mins when Wales were pushing for the try. They had 3-4 penalties against them all within the 22 for offside, and the ref didn't even consider going to his pocket. Surely that's exactly where a yellow card should be used, and it could have made a big difference!

If past autumn series' are anything to go by, it seems as if Gatland will pick a "experimental" side for Fiji clash. IMO i feel wales should play their best side possible just to get continuity in the side, so that combinations (if they stay the same) can really "gel" more. I hate it when Wales (in the past) put a "weakened" side out against the pacific islanders (i do feel its slightly disrespectful because the "islanders" really do play great stuff), and end up either edging out a 5 point win or even loose.
GATLAND PLAY YOUR BEST SIDE and get a Wales "A" side to play your "Fringe" players!!!!

Kinda disagree with that. I don't want to see wholesale changes, but if you're not going to give a few fringe players a chance atall, what's the point of them being there. We need to develop a replacement for Stephen Jones, so I'd rest him and play Biggar / Hook there. There probably isn't massive amounts of changes that can be made considering the injury list.

Last edited:
Obviously there will be some changes to give players a chance, which every player in that squad deserves... i just feel that sometimes we change too many players for the "islanders" clash.
I can see there being more changes in the backs than the forwards - Back row may change completely??

Back 3 - Harries/Czekaj/North (would like North to play next week and capitalise on his confidence from a fine display today - brew would be probable maybe?)
Centres - Brew/Bishop
Fly Half - Biggar/Rees

Not saying that would be "my" team but a probably (if past "half way" games are to go by). As i said previous i'd like to see consistency in the team, and due to injuries there could possibly be hardly any (that of which i hope). Agree with Dullonien, Wales need strength in depth at outside half and the main focus should be stephen jones. Anyways bring it on, friday night kick off, no giggs for me = BLOTTO WEEKEND! :D

Czekaj was pretty poor when he came on. He just doesn't look up to International Rugby. Any word on how Shane is?

Anyhow, ratings time!

1. Paul James- 6/10 (Alright, but he's no Gethin.)
2. Matthew Rees- 8/10 (Played really well in the loose and the scrum and lineout went well, too.)
3. Adam Jones- 7/10 (Scrummaged and seemed to clear almost every ruck out. Must be worn out.)
4. Bradley Davies- 7/10 (Very good in the loose, solid enough in the tight.)
5. Alun Wyn Jones- 7/10 (Tackled wel and took the charge down too.)
6. Andy Powell- 8/10 (Well played, Powelly. Good carrying and tackling, plus a few offloads.)
7. Martyn Williams- 7/10 (Typically Martyn Williams performance.)
8. Jonathan Thomas- 6/10 (A bit of a weak link, really. Should be replaced by Ryan or Powelly next game.)

9. Mike Philips- 7/10 (A far better, more Phillips-esque performance from him. Finally bashing again!)
10. Stephen Jones- 6/10 (Solid if unspectacular, no real mistakes or bad descissons.)
11. Shane Williams 8/10 (Even though he only played the first half, he was excellent throughout.)
12. James Hook- 8/10 (He was James Hook. Magical as always.)
13. Tom Shanklin- 5/10 (First half was a 6 or 7, second was a 3 or 4. I'll settle on 5.)
14. George North- 9/10 (2 tries, but also good carrying, tackling and chasing. Great stuff.)
15. Lee Byrne- 7/10 (Looked sharper when attacking than he has done since the Lions tour.)

Wales played really well, but it was SA that took it today.
Wales should have won.

Czekaj was pretty poor when he came on. He just doesn't look up to International Rugby. Any word on how Shane is?

Anyhow, ratings time!

1. Paul James- 6/10 (Alright, but he's no Gethin.)
2. Matthew Rees- 8/10 (Played really well in the loose and the scrum and lineout went well, too.)
3. Adam Jones- 7/10 (Scrummaged and seemed to clear almost every ruck out. Must be worn out.)
4. Bradley Davies- 7/10 (Very good in the loose, solid enough in the tight.)
5. Alun Wyn Jones- 7/10 (Tackled wel and took the charge down too.)
6. Andy Powell- 8/10 (Well played, Powelly. Good carrying and tackling, plus a few offloads.)
7. Martyn Williams- 7/10 (Typically Martyn Williams performance.)
8. Jonathan Thomas- 6/10 (A bit of a weak link, really. Should be replaced by Ryan or Powelly next game.)

9. Mike Philips- 7/10 (A far better, more Phillips-esque performance from him. Finally bashing again!)
10. Stephen Jones- 6/10 (Solid if unspectacular, no real mistakes or bad descissons.)
11. Shane Williams 8/10 (Even though he only played the first half, he was excellent throughout.)
12. James Hook- 8/10 (He was James Hook. Magical as always.)
13. Tom Shanklin- 5/10 (First half was a 6 or 7, second was a 3 or 4. I'll settle on 5.)
14. George North- 9/10 (2 tries, but also good carrying, tackling and chasing. Great stuff.)
15. Lee Byrne- 7/10 (Looked sharper when attacking than he has done since the Lions tour.)

Not the same game I was watching, Czekaj did little wrong but neither was he spectacular! Think saying hes not up to international standard is unfair.

Adam Jones was deffo an 8, boy was outstanding, a 9 for Rees also. Id give Phillips a 6, he was good today but in the Matfield try he stood off that tackle instead of stepping up to make the tackle. Shane was a 7 at best, he made that lovely break for the try but that was about it. The rest I go with.

Hard to understand how we lost with so many good performances.

Things just didn't go Wales' way when they needed it the most. The last couple of minutes it could have gone either way. Unfortunately Wales couldn't break the Springbok defense. The only mistake in that last attack-wave was the kick through when they still had a man outside to pass the ball to.

Well done to the welsh, I did not expect them to put up such a fight. This was a strong side of ours, not our best, but strong nevertheless. We played poorly at times. Our defense was abysmal in the first half and the welsh capatalised on that. APLON was a beast!

btw, why is stephen jones still the #1 flyhalf for wales!?

Last edited:

Latest posts