• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies Asics jersey

Rugby on the whole used hoops to differentiate themselves from football - League used V's to differentiate themselves from Rugby.

The collar disappeared because it serves no practical purpose - it's purely aesthetic.

Last edited:
The last time the Aussies were great was when John Eales was captain. Now they're the easiest scalp for the Lions. Remember getting up early to watch the Bledisloe Cup matches...now I sleep in.

I think this should really read "now they're the only SANZAR national team the Lions have a realistic shot at beating". Let's not forget that Australia were a Kurtley Beale slip away from winning that series last year. And let's also not forget that the Lions are the combined resources of 4 national teams, with England alone having vastly more resources and player numbers than the whole of the SH combined.

Because I'm a crazy rugby supporter. AVERAGE OUTFIT????????????????

What kind of average team won 4,5/5 in Europe? And yes 4,5 because they were stolen in England

What kind of average team beat Ireland, the best Europe team at the moment, at home????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12h3EA3y9cc

Ah, some seriously good tries in that game. If only we could have pulled off the win against the old enemy...

Still, on good tries, I know it's not your thing but the Rugby League Final against New Zealand last year was an absolute try scoring clinic by the Kangaroos. Some of the best tries you'll see in League or Union (particularly the second last one):

The other thing I'd add is that the Kangaroos have wisely kept their iconic jersey design largely unchanged since 1929 now. It was dark green with a gold V back then and all that's changed since is the team logo and the materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this should really read "now they're the only SANZAR national team the Lions have a realistic shot at beating". Let's not forget that Australia were a Kurtley Beale slip away from winning that series last year. And let's also not forget that the Lions are the combined resources of 4 national teams, with England alone having vastly more resources and player numbers than the whole of the SH combined.

Fair enough. Personally I think the Lions set up in its current form makes the tour a farce.

The 4 national teams (well 3 since the Scots have given up on Rugby)...I'd say that's actually a disadvantage. The 2001 Lions group that failed had more talent than the England 2003 WC winning team that beat everyone before them. Throwing together a group of players and trying to get them to play together in 3 weeks (or less) as opposed to a cohesive unit that's played together for years. Had that Lions group had proper preparation of at least a few months together, and not been left knackered/injured by Graham Henry's coaching methods after just finishing a long hard season, thus had been a fully fit, cohesive team, they almost certainly would have won. Wood, Johnson, Hill, Dallaglio, Wilkinson, O'Driscoll, Robinson. All seven would have been in a world XV at the time. When the Lions clicked (as they did in Brisbane) they took Australia to pieces, an Aussie side who held every single trophy at the time. Lions had the best player in the front row, second row, back row, fly half, wing and centre positions. Only at scrum half with Gregan (the Lions had Matt Dawson..who hated Henry, Rob Howley), and full back with Matt Burke did the Aussies have top dog. But the team beat the collection of players.

That 2001 Wallabies outfit was something special - they gave the Lions their own dismantling a week after Brisbane if you remember, and held the Bledisloe Cup for 5 straight years. But yes, fair points on the difficulty of getting the players from 4 (or 3) countries to gel and that Lions team had some freakish talent. Hence why it was such an incredible moment when we won.

I do remember it..the Lions were winning before two key moments....a once in a blue moon howler from Wilkinson with a pass that gifted the Aussies a try, and probably even more damaging the glue in the team Richard Hill being taken out of the game and broke his collarbone iirc (which incredibly went unpunished). Lions individual brilliance won the first test (O'Driscoll must have broke the line a half dozen times), second test required more of a team performance especially to cope with the two key moments...but that's where the lack of preparation kills them whereas the Aussies were a well oiled machine. For me 2001 were the most talented teams I've seen in a Lions series.

Ah, some seriously good tries in that game. If only we could have pulled off the win against the old enemy...

Still, on good tries, I know it's not your thing but the Rugby League Final against New Zealand last year was an absolute try scoring clinic by the Kangaroos. Some of the best tries you'll see in League or Union (particularly the second last one)

The other thing I'd add is that the Kangaroos have wisely kept their iconic jersey design largely unchanged since 1929 now. It was dark green with a gold V back then and all that's changed since is the team logo and the materials.

Yes, I saw the final match of RLWC 2013, although I'm not a League supporter, the Kangaroos had a fabulous performance, but also I remember the final match of RLWC 2008 against the Kiwis:

:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts