• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warne takes record

W

Wally

Warne claims outright world record
16:55 AEST Fri Oct 15 2004

1010_warne_a.jpg

Australian Shane Warne has claimed the outright world Test cricket wicket-taking record with his 533rd scalp.

Warne reached the mark during the first session on day two of the second Test against India when he had Irfan Pathan caught by Matthew Hayden at first slip for 14.

The leg-spinner held the ball aloft as he received a standing ovation from the crowd in Chennai.

He started Friday's play level with Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan on 532 wickets.

It was the first time Warne had held the outright record.

The 35-year-old Warne reached the milestone with the 31,887th delivery of a celebrated international career that began more than 12 years ago.

The Australian is playing his 114th test match, 23 more than Muralitharan has played.

Former West Indian paceman Courtney Walsh (519) is the only other bowler to have bettered the 500-wicket milestone.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=3512

Well done Warne! Credit given where credits due....even if he isn't on my favourite cricketer list.

Well I suppose he might as well carry on to 600. Seems like the life span of a spin bowler will take him there fairly easily.

Poor Courtney must have smashed his spine to pieces getting there. Though with modern medicine I suppose we will see another fast bowler in the 500 range soon enough.

Wont last for long Murali will get it back, he will get heaps of us dumb kiwis when they come over here

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Oct 15 2004, 08:20 AM
Well done Warne! Credit given where credits due....even if he isn't on my favourite cricketer list.

Well I suppose he might as well carry on to 600. Seems like the life span of a spin bowler will take him there fairly easily.

Poor Courtney must have smashed his spine to pieces getting there. Though with modern medicine I suppose we will see another fast bowler in the 500 range soon enough.
I thought it was a bit of modern medicine that nearly kept Warne from getting there.......
<

Congrats Warnie, i dont really like the guy but its all good. you give credit where credit is due. the best spinner of all time without a doubt.

Latest posts