• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WCC

Well Done Saints

I know someone who will be bloody happy to rub this in a bit!!!

And its great to see League getting some more members posting...

A bronco's fan wrote:-
The only thing St Helens will have over Brisbane is match fitness, and if there is a difference then it will be a very small one and will most likely not show through, but if it does then it'll be towards the end of the game when we are 20 points up.

You can't really expect to out gun a full strength Broncos side unless luck is on you're side, but come to think of it, St Helens will have climate and crowds to their advantage. However, teams from QLD thrive from underdog status and could very well spur them on...wait a sec...are they underdogs??? I don't think so actually lol but yeah...conditions and crowd are against em but we'll be right!!![/b]

Ah I love it when the Aussies get proved wrong. People who shamelessly run down our sport and the quality of our league deserve all the backlash they are going to get. It was not that long ago the Kangaroos lost to Great Britain, and that was unthinkable to many Aussies beforehand. I admit the N.R.L. is a higher standard than Super League when you look at the quality of games week in week out. But FACT IS the gap is not as big as they would like to think. If Aussies are going to run off at the mouth then I'm here to bring them back down to earth when their predictions and trash talk fall flat.

Well done Saints on fantastic fighting performance. I must admit I was not confident in us coming out victorious but I'm so happy we did. Great to see Scully back in the action with a classic combination with Cunnigham :cheers: not to mention his precision kicking. I hope that this victory will be a catalyst for the rest of our super leauge season.

I agree with the guy that said our commentry is inferior you cant beat listening to Rabbits commentate on N.R.L. games. It's about time Eddie and Stevo hung up their Mics and started drawing there pensions.

Very well written.

You made some good, down to earth arguments.

It's good you admitted that the NRL was better and our commentary is better, but you weren't bitter about it and you were very accurate in saying that the gap between the SL and NRL isn't as big as many Australians think it is.

Quite a non-biased post with alot of quality! Very respectable

Greetings everyone.

On behalf of all Melbourne Storm fans we would like to congratulate st helens on their victory over the brisbane pony club.Good way to stick it up the cheating ********,i couldent give a toss if it was an pommy team that won good on them.

You have won a fan GO YOU SAINTS!

:cheers:

Sorry, it had to be done though through what I was reading elsewhere.

AussieWhine2007.jpg

Well we do seem to get quite a bit of that in the forum...

But I like that about this place...

I watched the highlights last night and well was very impressed with the Saints Heart and I think they were honestly lifted by the return of their captain Paul Sculthorpe... Great to see him back playing... he will give the Saints a Huge Boost now...

I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls -
You brought me fame and fortuen and everything that goes with it
-
I thank you all -

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise -
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose -

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world

Oh my God. Oh my God, what a feeling. This feels so much better than in 2001 because I didn't think we had a sniff with this one with all the injuries we were suffering from and of course the confidence problems we were suffering with. I heard the team sheet in the car on the way there and thought that if things went against us we could effectively lose two of our substitutes as Cunningham and Sculthorpe were far from fit. As it turns out Scully was in fine shape and even without the knee brace. Let's hope that means he is now ready to recapture his form of 2000 - 2002 when he was the best player on the planet by a million miles.

Within early minutes of the kick off it was obvious to me that Jason Cayless wasn't fully fit either. The weather that changed the game on its head in 2001 was present again only this time it seemed it was going to conspire against us. Gardner dropped a bomb and it fell very kindly for Corey Parker, who could not fail to score from that range. We can't say we weren't warned - Long had had to make a sensational tackle on Brent Tate after a lucky bounce fell into his hands and it looked like he was going to go full length. Maybe at that point, as Long forced Tate into touch against all odds, that it was going to be our night. That gave me the strength to believe as it has been a tough few weeks. Even when the Broncos scored, I still believed.

What worried me more than the Broncos was the Aussie pisspot who was refereeing. He had an awful game and made so many mistakes it wasn't funny. I know it's pre-season for him too but it just wasn't good enough. He missed so many high shots on both teams, does not know the "not standing square" rule and missed a BLATANT forward pass for the second Brisbane try. An absolutely disgraceful performance from the Australian official. But against English teams, isn't it always? Bent *******.

Anyway, a penalty against Matthew Gidley for a "dangerous tackle" (and it was as well) put us 8-0 down and at that you realised just how unfit the Broncos are. They were well short after 20 minutes, which is totally understandable of course. However, before that excuse is reeled out, we've only played 3 games ourselves. Mistake followed mistake, but Saints, for all their pressing, just could not make it tell. We were camped in the Brisbane 40 metre area for 15 minutes pretty much, but good defence, poor decision making and the odd dropped ball made it look like we were going to go in at 8-0 down as the half time hooter approached with the Broncos in our 20. What a difference 30 seconds can make. A knock on and a penalty for mauling about at the play of the ball later, we were in their 20. There is some debate as to whether or not the ball was out or not but it looked pretty clear to me at the game, and having been partying all night long I have had chance to watch the replay so it was the right call for mine.

Gardner crashed over in the corner after a good move out wide. It wanted scoring, that try, he had to cut back in and keep hold of the ball as he got biffed. Get biffed he did, but score he did. It's little things like that that suddenly make you realise that it's going to be your night, as with the Long tackle earlier. And when the touchline conversion from Scully flew over... it just makes you believe. We have struggled kicking goals all season long and when someone who has taken 5 shots at goal in 2 years slams that over, it makes you think...

Half time came and went quickly and the poor weather subsided, with the greasy pitch the only obstacle now. As I expected, the Broncs started the second half strongly as the rest did them good, and suddenly my optimism was punctured as just 4 minutes into the second half we fell further behind after a great cross field kick from Lockyer (just about the only thing he did all night, he wasn't interested) was easily gathered by Darius Boyd. It was a poor try for us to concede from my point of view as our defence was packed and people didn't slide and take any responsibility. Great kick though, inch perfect. It should never have happened because the officials should have been doing their job and spotted the mile forward pass earlier in the move. Disgraceful. Corey Parker comically missed his kick from almost directly under the sticks, and that was a let off for us.

In all honesy, the next incident changed the game. It should have disappeared for us in a cloud of smoke, my exctasy now replaced with agony. It was there and Lockyer dropped it. All came from our mistake - Gidley dropping an easy ball. Time seemed to stand still as the golden boot winner slid toward the ball gathering the ball... what a mistake. It seemed to squirm from his grasp as he slid. Luckily enough for us it went forward and the video ref ruled the knock on.

A few more uncomfortable moments followed but we managed to keep them out and then played clever rugby - moving the ball out wide and pulling the Broncos over the field. They visibily tired and it was no surprise and a great sight to see the returning Sculthorpe crash over just to the left of sticks. Same reasoning as their second try really - the defence was packed and someone slipped as well I think. We had been dominating the game at that point and the pressure told. We had also missed a massive chance when Leon Pryce knocked on with a three on one overlap to his right. That was try time. But we got our reward eventually.

We got a bit excited having drawn level (Scully drilled the goal nicely) and after a few sets, Matt Gidley again gave away a penalty. The comical Parker managed to convert that and suddenly we were chasing the game again, despite being the better team at that point. As the clock ticked into the last 9 minutes, the defining moment arrived. Long's huge crossfield bomb was brilliantly caught by Gardner, who plopped the ball down to put us into the lead. Gardner is like that - he can be awful one minute and then brilliant next. It was a great try and I think our expansive rugby had made us deserve it to be honest. Scully again knocked the kick over, quite brilliantly, and suddenly with 8 to go we lead by 4 points.

In truth, it was quite comfortable. Apart from one penalty, which produced a kick which Meli did brilliantly to escape from his in goal area with the ball, the only time the Broncos threatened was when they briefly made an opening with 12 seconds left but Wellens gobbled them up and Michaels threw the ball straight to Jon Wilkin, confirming what we are - THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!

It was a great sight seeing Long lift the 4th trophy in 6 months. We have actually now won everything we possibly can. On a sour note, I lost all the respect I had for the Broncos when they decided to **** off down the tunnel without staying to congratutulate us. Sore losers, but what's new? Thankfully they got sent back out, which was all the more humiliating. Ah well. Same goes for the Fanatics who were out there giving everyone grief on the way out - I might be a whinging Pom, but I'm a World Champion. Enjoy the flight home.

Yeah.. that's sounds good. WORLD CHAMPION! YES, YES, YES! GET IN!

_42608611_gardner220.jpg

_42608613_scully416.jpg

_42608615_cunn300.jpg

_42608607_saints416.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

I'm happy to take the WCC Down Under. It might stop the whinging even more when an English team wins down under, but I doubt it.

You have to admit in all fairness it would be the fairest way to do it...

Be much better for gloating purposes as well

whatever! the WCC championship is won by the better team - home field advantage isn't everything - Sydney Roosters won the 2003 WCC at the Reebok 38-0, going further back in 94' Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane 20-14, in the past other teams - Melbourne, Brisbane have won on British soil - Saints would definitely have had a sniff in Australia - if there's never a chance to win down-under why should it ever be held there...this St. Helens team is one of the best teams in the history of the game.

whatever! the WCC championship is won by the better team - home field advantage isn't everything - Sydney Roosters won the 2003 WCC at the Reebok 38-0, going further back in 94' Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane 20-14, in the past other teams - Melbourne, Brisbane have won on British soil - Saints would definitely have had a sniff in Australia - if there's never a chance to win down-under why should it ever be held there...this St. Helens team is one of the best teams in the history of the game. [/b]

What I'm about to say is fact, and is in no way me being a biased prick towards you at all.

The current St Helens team is not one of the best teams in the history of the game.

None of the premiership winning teams in Super League match up to any of the following teams
  • The might Souths in the 1920s and 30s
  • Easts in the 30s
  • St George in the 60s
  • Canterbury and Parramatta of the late 70s and 80s
  • Brisbane, Canterbury, Roosters and Newcastle have all several better teams each in the last decade.
I could keep goin on about how there have been a plethora of teams that are classified as being a better team, but there is no point because its just common knowledge and common sense, there have been many better teams.

St Helens most probably have the 72nd best club team in Rugby League history.

<div class='quotemain'> whatever! the WCC championship is won by the better team - home field advantage isn't everything - Sydney Roosters won the 2003 WCC at the Reebok 38-0, going further back in 94' Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane 20-14, in the past other teams - Melbourne, Brisbane have won on British soil - Saints would definitely have had a sniff in Australia - if there's never a chance to win down-under why should it ever be held there...this St. Helens team is one of the best teams in the history of the game. [/b]

What I'm about to say is fact, and is in no way me being a biased prick towards you at all.

The current St Helens team is not one of the best teams in the history of the game.

None of the premiership winning teams in Super League match up to any of the following teams
  • The might Souths in the 1920s and 30s
  • Easts in the 30s
  • St George in the 60s
  • Canterbury and Parramatta of the late 70s and 80s
  • Brisbane, Canterbury, Roosters and Newcastle have all several better teams each in the last decade.
I could keep goin on about how there have been a plethora of teams that are classified as being a better team, but there is no point because its just common knowledge and common sense, there have been many better teams.

St Helens most probably have the 72nd best club team in Rugby League history.
[/b][/quote]

I need to take issue with this - this St Helens teams is one of the FINEST teams that the world has seen. I have been going to watch Saints for 15 years. Week in, week out, home and away. I have been there for the **** times when Wigan used to rip up everything in sight. I have been there when we nearly went bust. I have been there for the humilation of getting beaten 70-0 at Leeds. I have seen it all.

But I have never seen anything like this set of players we have now. Swap Gidley for Lyon and it is an outstanding team. You can use the "pre-season" excuse all you want. If Brisbane are as good as made out to be they would rise to the challenge and swat us away. But they couldn't, because we were and are better than them.

I would pit this team against any team in history and expect them to win. I don't expect any credit from Down Under as we never get any. I'm happy to be a World Champion.

We're the best team on the planet - fact.

the best club team yes
the best team is australia or QLD

We all know the pinnacle of Rugby League is state of origin - I for one always proclaim NSW or QLD are better than most international teams and could take on NZ and UK in and beat them more than lose.

One of the greatest teams in the history of the game of Rugby League - Dragons in the 60's or - CHECK MY SIG
Contratulations on the Saints

Was was over the moon of the quality of the game

Got home at 5am Saturday from drinking since Friday morning at 10am...I was bent and plastered.................turned on the tele.........and booyaaaah - its-TEE-ARE-WHY

TEE-ARE-WHY
TRY
TRY
TRY

i love those commentators - you guys are kidding - we need these pommies dudes to team up with Rabs - it would be a blast

Latest posts