Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
so...very weird game of club on saturday

we were 0-3 for the season and so 1s and 2s had a big re shuffle. i manage the 2s and after 25 minutes we were 10-3 up and had just made a huge run down the right to get to their 5m again, hot on attack....their 13 then proceeded to do a proper 90's league type spear tackle on ours...i mean jordie landing on his head and scopioned over boots to face....

...our 9 who admittedly love a scrap comes in but only pushes the tackler/attemped murderer off jordie as he'd gone straight for the ball, no consideration for him injured on the floor...

...brawl ensues, we're up the other end and so thats all we see clearly, lasts a few minutes and so the coach and i start walking down to try and break it up and check on jordie, we see the physio has him sitting up and our captain charging in pulling everyone out....so we leave them too it

we see two of theirs come down and site on half way, two yellows, one for the tackle and one for the first person to throw punches....

...so we're on their 5m and their down to 13 and behind on the scoreboard...

....then we see our guys all start patting each other backs and the ref blows for time off and walks off.

apparently the other captain had demanded that our 9 also be binned for shoving their attempted murderer and when the ref refused they said they didn;t feel safe and so didn;t want to play....ref said fine, you forfeit....

******* mad...good thing though we all got to go watch the womens team on the other pitch

i'd heard their dude bragging about what a good tackle it was whilst sitting on the naughty chair so i took a bit of pleasure in getting everyone together to sing our song standing on their pitch...normally i wouldn't take a cheap shot after a win like that....but **** em

Last edited:
love club rugby. post makes me want to go out and get all the cortisone injections and surgeries.

I've had a game called off before when an opposition hit one of our players and got a yellow. So the red asked his name and he swore at the ref and walked off. The ref just called the game right there and said he's not to be tested like that.

It was about 50 minutes into the game. I was quite shocked.

I've had a game called off before when an opposition hit one of our players and got a yellow. So the red asked his name and he swore at the ref and walked off. The ref just called the game right there and said he's not to be tested like that.

It was about 50 minutes into the game. I was quite shocked.
it was just so weird, it was the opposition captain that claimed it wasn;t safe when it was one of his players that had completed the tackle......

How did the attempted murderer only get away with a yellow?

How did the attempted murderer only get away with a yellow?
if im honest we didn't press too hard when we talked to the ref, i can only assume he thought there was some mitigating factor, jordie was going full speed so momentum was too much to completely control?...thats a guess

in our 3's game we'd got away with a VERY lazy high tackle, coming from behind and reached over the shoulder and then swung around, ref didn;t even penalise and we thought it was red

if im honest we didn't press too hard when we talked to the ref, i can only assume he thought there was some mitigating factor, jordie was going full speed so momentum was too much to completely control?...thats a guess

in our 3's game we'd got away with a VERY lazy high tackle, coming from behind and reached over the shoulder and then swung around, ref didn;t even penalise and we thought it was red
Lower level refs won't pull out a red card for anything, it's a massive issue in my opinion, incredibly unsafe.

I'm trying to think of red cards I've given. I know one I gave I definitely got wrong since I thought I saw a stamp but on video it didn't happen. It was able to get rescinded. It was a high level women's game but it was late and one team was already a couple scores up. Two extremely dangerous tip tackles (body slams). Swearing at me/using a slur at another player.

That's in America, in South Africa I had head butts quite frequently.

I know for shots to the head I was very reluctant to give yellows just cause the game happens so quick you can't be 100% of what you saw and you are extremely risk adverse. When you are at national/regional games and you are in a team of 3 it's a little easier to go for a red cause you can ask someone to confirm what you saw.

So, For anyone interested in my little club drama last week

We got an email on wednesday saying one of our guys had been cited from the match a month ago and he had to rock up to barristers chambers last night, no other information provided.

We get there and have to wait as theyre going through a couple of citing, finally get our turn and we go in...and the proceed to read like sevel statements all from opposition players making our guys out to be some sort of thug who single handly made the whole team feel unsafe and thats why they forfeited

Before my guy gave his side of things i jumped in and just pointed out thats a little one sided, none of our players had been consulted and it didn;t seem 100% balanced to make a judgement just on statements from guys that had a vested interest in the outcome

also pointed out theyd had 3 weeks (supposed to be within 72 hours) to craft these statement and we only found out about it the night before

crock of ****, got them to give us a week to collect some additional statements

Latest posts