• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wellington Sevens Discussion Thread

Ridiculous refereeing in the final. Its a pity stuff like that seems to be creeping into 7s as well where the game should be so much easier to accurately referee.

I have no issue with the yellow and like Someoke said we had men who should've made their tackles at the end but O'Brien seemed to be looking for every chance to give NZ a leg up calling up SA for anything he could possibly call while giving NZ free reign with forward passes and early tackles etc.

Maybe, but it's very interesting that Mr. Paddy O'brien on Monday arranged a meeting between himself and the SA coaching Staff. It just seems like Paddy is now going to try and defend his son.

But this just goes to show that whether a referee is affiliated with another country other than his country of birth, he shouldn't participate in a match where either of those countries are involved.

I suggest you have a read of SAReferees take on this. It very different from that muppet Mark Reason's kiwi-hating perspective...

http://www.sareferees.com/News/is-matt-the-new-bryce/2830601/

Particularly these bits

[TEXTAREA]In 2011 he was chosen as a referee on the Sevens circuit, a year before his father took charge of Sevens referees for World Rugby. Matt O'Brien has also been one of SANZAAR's chosen referees for Super Rugby. This seems to be the first time there have been criticisms of his refereeing, and overwhelmingly by South Africans. Certainly it is the most vehement.[/TEXTAREA]
The suggestion that Paddy got his son in the panel is pure bolloks

[TEXTAREA]1. Matt O'Brien has now refereed South Africa v New Zealand in five finals since 2012. Up till now South Africa has won four, New Zealand one. One of those that the Blitzboks won was the Final of the Commonwealth games.[/TEXTAREA]
No complaints from either side when South Africa were winning. Then they lose a close one, and the Saffa fan whining starts.

Last edited:
To be honest, i don't care who refs a match. As long as it's fair and consistent.

I suggest you have a read of SAReferees take on this. It very different from that muppet Mark Reason's kiwi-hating perspective...

http://www.sareferees.com/News/is-matt-the-new-bryce/2830601/

Particularly these bits

[TEXTAREA]In 2011 he was chosen as a referee on the Sevens circuit, a year before his father took charge of Sevens referees for World Rugby. Matt O'Brien has also been one of SANZAAR's chosen referees for Super Rugby. This seems to be the first time there have been criticisms of his refereeing, and overwhelmingly by South Africans. Certainly it is the most vehement.[/TEXTAREA]
The suggestion that Paddy got his son in the panel is pure bolloks

[TEXTAREA]1. Matt O'Brien has now refereed South Africa v New Zealand in five finals since 2012. Up till now South Africa has won four, New Zealand one. One of those that the Blitzboks won was the Final of the Commonwealth games.[/TEXTAREA]
No complaints from either side when South Africa were winning. Then they lose a close one, and the Saffa fan whining starts.

It is certainly an interesting read. And I would love to see more details regarding those stats. For example, How many of those matches were played in NZ?

I never once said that Paddy got his son the job on the sevens panel. All I said was it seemed like Paddy was going to defend his son. Perhaps myself and others are more negative regarding this matter than we should be, and to be fair to Matt, it's more about the hatred towards his father than to Matt himself. Saffas just like any other nation love to point the finger at someone else. Most of the time we do this in Sports and Politics...

Seriously??

Paddy O'Brien's son was the ref! In a Final, where NZ played. A lot of bad calls made in that final. So many forward passes by NZ that went unpunished, taking Kwagga Smith out in the air also went unpunished...

It was not fun to watch at all.
Are u okay? Do you need a hug? Watch the replay SA full of fire power but really played ****, too many penalty plays by them nothing to do with the ref.

Would like to say to the wellington population who didnt turn up to last weekends sevens a big BOOOOH! to yous, spoiled brats the lot of you shame! Just because there were problems of fueled alcohol in the past or strindent alcohol laws now doesnt mean for you to stay away and enjoy it, your city is being watched by the world and rugby fans across the globe.
This absence of numbers is very shameful to showing the world as NewZealand is the pinnacle of rugby but it shows like majority of Wellingtonians dont care?!? I hope yous lose the effing game to some city or nation that really cares! SHAME SHAME SHAME! to the crowd who showed up and gave your loud support a big THANK YOU!!! to yous as lovers of rugby and as patriots to New Zealand we salute you!

Last edited:

Latest posts