Wellington Sevens Discussion Thread

SomeOke

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Unfortunately the time zones are absolutely lousy for us Saffers (the whole thing was done and dusted by 9:30) but I managed to tape and watch the Bokke games at least. First and foremost congrats to NZ for that victory at the end of the day, unfortunately for us NZ can still score given the slightest opportunity, a bit of SBW magic enough to seal it for us in the end so well played. We did make quite a few mistakes (a couple untimely knocks-ons and poor discipline) but so did the Kiwi's, one can't help but feel both teams could be better, but NZ deserved their win.

Anyway the loss isn't the end of the world, Aus -> Fiji is only a little tougher than NZ's probable route of Kenya -> Eng. Hopefully we see you again in the finals!

Akira Ioane's potential is legitimately terrifying... "he's a freak - and the sooner he goes away the better..."

Judging by how much of an impact the Kiwi's "superstars" have made to their side, I think there is a very real chance that they will walk to a gold medal.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised at how empty this stadium has been. I knew they were having troubles with sales prior to the tournament, but the stadium was emptier than a New Zealand super rugby match during the final match of day one (NZ vs SA which should have been massive). Is there any chance of the tournament getting moved away from Wellington and if so, to where? Would this improve the situation?

Just turned it on now,
England playing decently.
RdC and Bibby both playing well - both Fylde lads, came through the same side as Beaumont and Brookes. Bibby was with us for a bit after he finished Uni before going full time with England 7s.

I'm quite surprised at how empty this stadium has been. I knew they were having troubles with sales prior to the tournament, but the stadium was emptier than a New Zealand super rugby match during the final match of day one (NZ vs SA which should have been massive). Is there any chance of the tournament getting moved away from Wellington and if so, to where? Would this improve the situation?

It's bad because they've intentionally cracked down extremely hard on boozing - http://thespinoff.co.nz/29-01-2016/a-lament-for-the-greatest-party-weekend-in-new-zealand-sports/

Never fail to be amazed at how poor Carlin Isle's basics are.
He's lightning, which covers a lot of it in 7s, but tackling passing and catching near non-existent.
It's no wonder he couldn't hack it in amateur XVs in Scotland.

I reckon barring injury to someone else Liam Messams wasted his time having a crack at this sevens side due to that injury. I dont see where he slots into this NZ side other than maybe the bench. He shoulda just stuck with the Chiefs.

And if he is selected I kinda feel sorry for the other sides because thats a pretty bulk stacked NZ side and theres still loads of others back in the 15's that could of done this aswell. Maybe come the olympics some other teams will stack their sides up a bit more aswell not sure.

Akira so has to be short tracked as an 15's AB its not even funny this guy could legitimately play back or forward at 120kg and way over 6ft. I keep thining of Zinzan when I see this guy but its almost an insult to Akira....

Unfortunately the time zones are absolutely lousy for us Saffers (the whole thing was done and dusted by 9:30) but I managed to tape and watch the Bokke games at least. First and foremost congrats to NZ for that victory at the end of the day, unfortunately for us NZ can still score given the slightest opportunity, a bit of SBW magic enough to seal it for us in the end so well played. We did make quite a few mistakes (a couple untimely knocks-ons and poor discipline) but so did the Kiwi's, one can't help but feel both teams could be better, but NZ deserved their win.

Anyway the loss isn't the end of the world, Aus -> Fiji is only a little tougher than NZ's probable route of Kenya -> Eng. Hopefully we see you again in the finals!

That SBW off-load was insane to win the match. I see the Boks destroyed Fiji.

Congrats to NZ in the end, they have some monstrous players this year. In some ways SA has gone for speed and agility this year with NZ favoring strength.
Disappointing to lose like that in the end, I thought we were the better side for long periods but that's sevens. Well done on the third consecutive home victory!

Congrats to NZ in the end, they have some monstrous players this year. In some ways SA has gone for speed and agility this year with NZ favoring strength.
Disappointing to lose like that in the end, I thought we were the better side for long periods but that's sevens. Well done on the third consecutive home victory!

I agree with you I thought the SA team was the more impressive outfit tactics wise though out the tournament. The way they put away fiji was clinical as.

The problem they will have against NZ is just backing their defence one on one. Its going to be huge problem for them as we have so many players that can break a tackle almost at will.
The mistake they made in the final was the three man gang tackle on SBW. They handled him o.k with one man the first time. No way three defenders should of gone at him that last time. I reckon they'll of learnt more than us from that game.

Even with our stacked team SA is certainly a threat to us I think they have the ability to pull a crazy defensive game out of the hat on us in a big match and I hope its not at he olympics.

Last edited:
Akira so has to be short tracked as an 15's ABits not even funny this guy could legitimately play back or forward at 120kg and way over 6ft. I keep thining of Zinzan when I see this guy but its almost an insult to Akira....

I'm with you there.... not seen a guy as big as he is move as fast as he does.

I think the Blues could cause carnage this year...

I think this round showed that SA currently have the advantage in terms of bedding in their XV's players, but the AB side just has the sort of power that I don't think I've ever seen a 7's side come remotely close to posessing before.
And that's without really sacrificing any pace.

I think you may see one or two Welsh and Scottish guys put theirs hats in the ring for the GB team, but I'd be very surprised to see any notable English players do so.

Hey Rats, Xmas is over .....time for Chinese New Year!!!

Seriously??

Paddy O'Brien's son was the ref! In a Final, where NZ played. A lot of bad calls made in that final. So many forward passes by NZ that went unpunished, taking Kwagga Smith out in the air also went unpunished...

It was not fun to watch at all.

Seriously??

Paddy O'Brien's son was the ref! In a Final, where NZ played. A lot of bad calls made in that final. So many forward passes by NZ that went unpunished, taking Kwagga Smith out in the air also went unpunished...

I can't say I watched the full match in it's entirety, because I was working, but at least I can say that we can't predict with any certainty, who will take gold in Rio. I'm feeling much more encouraged from a NZ point of view, because I know combinations take time to gel etc. I know also that the Blitzboks were down on numbers too, and that Fiji will be better etc.

Seriously??

It did seem like the ref was trying to give NZ every chance, at least in the last 5 minutes, but nothing we can do about that (although the yellow was probably justified). All those missed tackles is something we can change however.

Ridiculous refereeing in the final. Its a pity stuff like that seems to be creeping into 7s as well where the game should be so much easier to accurately referee.

I have no issue with the yellow and like Someoke said we had men who should've made their tackles at the end but O'Brien seemed to be looking for every chance to give NZ a leg up calling up SA for anything he could possibly call while giving NZ free reign with forward passes and early tackles etc.

Ridiculous refereeing in the final. Its a pity stuff like that seems to be creeping into 7s as well where the game should be so much easier to accurately referee.

I have no issue with the yellow and like Someoke said we had men who should've made their tackles at the end but O'Brien seemed to be looking for every chance to give NZ a leg up calling up SA for anything he could possibly call while giving NZ free reign with forward passes and early tackles etc.

Regardless of the result, there was very little in it, between either team, in either match; when you consider how many of the Bok regulars were out with injury, it's a scary prospect as to how good that side will be when it comes around to the Olympics. It does seem a little stupid to give Matt O'Brien the final, given his New Zealand connection, but to show bias towards any team by any referee, seems a little unwise, given that they are also vying for spots in the Olympics.

Regardless of the result, there was very little in it, between either team, in either match; when you consider how many of the Bok regulars were out with injury, it's a scary prospect as to how good that side will be when it comes around to the Olympics. It does seem a little stupid to give Matt O'Brien the final, given his New Zealand connection, but to show bias towards any team by any referee, seems a little unwise, given that they are also vying for spots in the Olympics.

Maybe, but it's very interesting that Mr. Paddy O'brien on Monday arranged a meeting between himself and the SA coaching Staff. It just seems like Paddy is now going to try and defend his son.

But this just goes to show that whether a referee is affiliated with another country other than his country of birth, he shouldn't participate in a match where either of those countries are involved.

Auckland, christchurch or dunedin would like to have it, BUT, the rule of law should be fill it or lose it, eg; If capacity of stadium is 40,000 then crowd attendance must be 90% full, if this quota is not attained for two years consecutively then the sevens is opened to any city or nations that are interested.

I wouldve expected dagg to emulate his ownself and join the sevens Im sure he has still got it and by missing out on the world cup, sevens would be a great boarding pass to gain a high accolade before retiring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts