Llandovery 30
Cross Keys 20

Bridgend 8
Ebbw Vale 20

Bedwas 28
Carmarthen Quins 24

Aberavon 26
Cardiff RFC 12

Llanelli/Ponty aside its hard to say what effect the change has had other than to confirm scores wont differ all that much.

Todays scores

Llanelli 32
Pontypridd 68

Neath 22
Newport 26

Llandovery 30
Cross Keys 20

Bridgend 8
Ebbw Vale 20

Bedwas 28
Carmarthen Quins 24

Aberavon 26
Cardiff RFC 12

Llanelli/Ponty aside its hard to say what effect the change has had other than to confirm scores wont differ all that much.

100 points scored and not one penalty kicked, 9 tries the 1st ever 6 pointer Alex Webber and Ponty.

I'm not too sure about this. On the one hand we can and do have fantastic 9-9 draws where all the points are from kicks, full of fantastic rugby with great action and less exciting high scoring games with lots of tries. I'm all for seeing how it goes, but it looks to me that World Rugby are thinking that the only good game is one full of tries.

Even this trial, even just changing points values, could change the game we know and love too much.

I prefer decrease the penalty kick to 2 and the conversion to 1. Drop goal should be keep because is so hard and few players can do it

This has been in the SA Varsity Cup for years now and everyone involved thinks it a sucess. I'm glad it has been bought into by another league.

In the Varsity Cup though there is an emphasis on being strict at the breakdown in particular- attacking team gets the benefit of the doubt and referees are readier with a yellow.

Another trial that I've found a sucess is that each team's captain gets 1 chance per half to refer a referee decision to the TMO which has an on-field presence. The effect has been positive IMO; fairer results, the fact that the captains have some input takes some pressure off of the ref and actually we've seen refs back themselves in rewarding tries where they see it rather than the inevitable TMO ref referal we see after every try these days.

I wouldn't be against World Rugby pushing for global acceptance of these measures post 2015.

I'm not too sure about this. On the one hand we can and do have fantastic 9-9 draws where all the points are from kicks, full of fantastic rugby with great action and less exciting high scoring games with lots of tries. I'm all for seeing how it goes, but it looks to me that World Rugby are thinking that the only good game is one full of tries.

Even this trial, even just changing points values, could change the game we know and love too much.

In 1886 a try was worth 1 point
By 1891 it had increased to 2 points
In 1893 it was worth 3 points and remained at 3 until 1971 when it was increased to 4 points
1992 a further increase to 5 points.

If the 6 point try is adopted at all levels, I think we call it progress.

And progress is not necessarily a good thing.............!!

No not always, let's see what this season long trial brings, the Alex Webber 6 pointer on Saturday was reported as the 1st 6 point try in the NH, does anyone no which SH league is also trialling it as the stats would be interesting.

Spoken like a true xenophobic fool.

What is this "xenophobic fool"? Is this a compliment in your country or a derogatory term you might say to a Syrian refugee?
Over here in Tajikistan our team Dushanbe Locomotive Old Boys love to run the ball from everywhere. We do not kick. Anyone who kicks must immediately leave the field and skull pot of cuddled goat's milk. We are now pushing for the 12 point try.
I see New Zealand, a distant land, full of savages who hahakaa all the time, are following our lead. On the Internet I read of a flyhalf recently returned from England, Jonny Bently. Now playing for Wellyton, he says, "I've been told to stop kicking so much, which is something I've brought back from England with me".

On the Internet I read of a flyhalf recently returned from England, Jonny Bently. Now playing for Wellyton, he says, "I've been told to stop kicking so much, which is something I've brought back from England with me".

England, where his DoRs (in sequence) were Chris Stirling, Ian Davies, Nigel Davies and Harvey Biljon. Or to put it another way, a New Zealander, a Welshman, another Welshman and a South African!

I hope he returns to his best, he was magic for Cornish Pirates for a season or two, but has never looked like recapturing that form after his groin injury.

Just had thought and it'll be interesting to see whether it's true or not.

Is the purpose of this to see more try's being scored or to make sure the team scoring the most try's wins? Because if it's the former I'm not convinced this will work. The value of a try higher than a penalty kick at goal and thus teams defensively will be far more inclined to commit penalties to kill the ball, teams will probably still more likely to kick at goal for guaranteed points as how often does a kick to touch actually result in a try currently? Probably less 1 in 4. So actually it could lead to even more kicks at goal. You might actually get more try's by devaluing a try as defensive units will be less inclined to give penalties away and equally not be worried about defence as much to stop try's from being scored.

As (I think) I said earlier in the thread, this is why it was important that stats were kept last season recording things like penalties conceded and kicks at goal attempted to establish a baseline against which to compare this season's statistics. If this hasn't been done, it renders the experiment a bit of a waste of time as the results are subjective.

Why not go the whole hog and reduce penalties and drop goals to one point and tries to 10.........

Latest posts