• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are your views on the new scrum laws

C

Candyman

I myself being a member of the front row have been affected with these new scrum calls(Crouch Touch Pause Engage) I myself think now they are taking too long for the scrum to get under way wit these new calls i tend to get over excited which this could lead to an early engagement and cause some serious injury.

What do the rest of you think about these new scrum calls??

I've gone all through juniors used to that call, and when i got my first taste of seniors last year i thought their call was better. Playing 1sts last week (although at flanker this time) i was unhappily reminded that the calls were now the same as the juniors.

The new calls for seniors do slow the scrum down somewhat, but they're there in hope that it makes the scrum safer. Early engagements to occur as a result of over excitedness, but over time people will get use to it and it will help to prevent neck and back (spinal) injuries.

As a player who plays front row and back row.. it's a bit annoying but hey, I don't want to see a broken neck in the end of the day..

as a referee... it's annoying.. coz most people don't listen!!! argh! I have to restart the scrums a few times and remind them to LISTEN TO MY CALLS! for the first few scrums until it's good...

Dunno... time will tell :p
Have some boubts though: especially when one prop doesnt respond to the 'pause'. that will mess up the opposite props' focus :S Which will result in an untidy scrum...

Damn... I sound really negative :S

i tend to get over excited which this could lead to an early engagement and cause some serious injury.
[/b]
Can be a problem in the bedroom.

Guys don't listen to the referee? Freekick, instead of resetting.

An example of how the new laws may have made a difference: there was a lot of talk pre-Christmas that they would benefit Ireland's scrum, which was regularly getting screwed by France and England. The evidence from the 6N so far is that the Irish scrum is now level with, and sometimes getting the better of, the opposition. But Ireland have also been using Rory Best at hooker, who used to be a prop.

i have been used to it in the age group rugbys so its nothing new the only new thing is the touch and then arm retract

i think its an excuse to make them easier for other international teams...becoz quite honestly NO ONE f***S WITH MR CRON AND HIS SCRUM TECHNIQUES!!!....

thats what i think..one of the most dominant and lest recognisable allblack tools is the scrum..and when and where ever on the field it is in place it surely has significant impact on other teams...it really can change a games momentum when you control the scrum...knock-ons,forwards and other penalties result in scrums so when the ab's are dominant...they dont neccesarily lose control of the game...

i just think that we have mastered it...i reckon it still is safer than the new system in place now..the sense of timing is real awkward and i reckon a chance of neck injuries can occur heavily from that..i guess it will get better with time..who knows..my opinion

thats what i think..one of the most dominant and lest recognisable allblack tools is the scrum..and when and where ever on the field it is in place it surely has significant impact on other teams...it really can change a games momentum when you control the scrum...knock-ons,forwards and other penalties result in scrums so when the ab's are dominant...they dont neccesarily lose control of the game...[/b]

Its a little bit better than their more recognisable tactic of "ignoring the ref and charging in to engage the scrum when they feel like it rather than waiting for the word 'engage'"

The "touch" command gives the ref that little bit more time than before. Before usually the ref had to say "crouchholdengage!" as quickly as possible because most of the time the two teams usually ignored the ref and did whatever the hell they want, thats why they're cracking down on the scrum these days.

Latest posts