• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

I have currently 93 books in Audible largely fantasy ones (Only real regret was getting the Game of thrones ones I didn't really like the narration in it)
I've got quite a few regrets about my library. I'd offer the following advice to anyone starting out in the world of audiobooks:

- listen to the free 5-minute sampler. Hopefully, this will weed out narrators you won't get on with.
- Don't get too hung up on length :)eek:). I made this mistake (thinking I'm getting more value for money) and have a couple of books in my library that I'm not sure I'll ever get around to listening to. That said, the Sherlock Holmes collection is pretty good and you can treat it like lots of different books, not one big long one.
- Check your local library (mine uses the Borrow Box app) for ***les before spending a precious, precious credit on it.

Enjoying Little Steven's life story at the minute

Attachments

• E270E6B7-0C87-439A-B8D4-736EC778C6A4.jpeg
    E270E6B7-0C87-439A-B8D4-736EC778C6A4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
White Desert - A Marshal from Montana hunts down two killers on the run in the Canadian wilderness during winter. I love westerns and this one delivers! :)

Last edited:
Just finished Joe Marler's Loosehead. Really enjoyed that - got a lot of time for big Joe.

Currently reading Dave Grohl's autobiography The Storyteller. I'm not a massive Foo's fan or owt, though I did love a bit of Nirvana back in the day, but it is a great read.

Great book for history buffs, no matter what nation you live in.

1657469525667.png

The Inhabited Island by the Strugasky brothers. Great accessible Soviet sci-fi about a cosmonaut in the 22nd Century, right up there with their more famous Roadside Picnic. 8/10.

I also read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but it's more suitable for kids really and enjoyable mainly for the novelty of sci-fi from 150 years ago.

A great historian has passed away. I've read and enjoyed several of his books. Rest in peace David McCullough.

David McCullough, Pulitzer-winning historian, dies aged 89
The author of biographies and other works and narrator of documentaries, McCullough was 'the voice of American history' - The Guardian

1660025818072.png

Last edited:
"How To Win, (Rugby and Leadership)" by Clive Woodward ......... You won't be surprised to learn that Woodward comes across as a smug, arrogant p***k.

"How To Win, (Rugby and Leadership)" by Clive Woodward ......... You won't be surprised to learn that Woodward comes across as a smug, arrogant p***k.
You sound like a moth that couldn't resist flying to its death into a flame.

This less famous David Mitchell debut was really good. Various loosely linked short stories set in various parts of the world in which he'd lived (Japan, Russia, Ireland, HK). Written in 1999 but still very current. A little 'try hard' with ***ellation in a couple of places but it kept the pages turning and gave me some giggles.

Latest orphan X for me.
Love trash books easy reading for a chronic Dyslexic just takes an eternity. But at virtually 60 got to keep grey cells working one day I'll get it LOL.

John Grisham's latest is excellent. It consists of three novellas, which is a first for him. 👍

1662005827941.png

The Lonely Silver Rain by John D. MacDonald. It's the last of his Travis McGee novels and it's excellent. 👍 MacDonald passed away shortly after it's release.

CONTRABAND is one of the better books in the long and iconic Stone Barrington series. 👍 Author Stuart Woods died back in July, may he rest in peace.

CINNAMON SKIN by John D. MacDonald - A Travis McGee mystery, the 20th of 21 in the series. And its one of the best. 👍

A US Marshal goes undercover posing as a Preacher to expose a gang of bandits. Great Western!

1671739932983.png

Port Hazard by Loren D. Estleman

Hired killers, sent one by one to Montana Territory after Page Murdock. Murdock doesn't know why someone wants him out of the way, but he knows where they're coming from.

Thus begins Murdock's descent into a hell more decadent, corrupt, and dangerous than even he has ever seen---San Francisco's Barbary Coast. With an unwilling backup man, Murdock takes up temporary residence among the whores, gamblers, dope addicts, and cutthroats of the continent's foulest district. No man here is trustworthy. The enemies he's really worried about, though, are the men who run things, the politicians.

Murdock's quest also takes him into Chinatown, into opium dens, and into league with a man of an alien culture who controls vices that make respectable people quail. But perhaps the men who seem respectable are the most insidious of all.

Loren D. Estleman's latest tale of Page Murdock takes the deputy to the federal marshal into danger and evil appalling even for him, and delivers excitement and satisfaction as only Estleman can.

1672946224718.png

Last edited:
listen to the free 5-minute sampler. Hopefully, this will weed out narrators you won't get on with.
I've fallen foul of this on a few.

Biggest disappointment was Bob Mortimer. I love Bob, but rather than it being like Bob telling one of his stories, it just sounded like Bob reading a script.

I've fallen foul of this on a few.

Biggest disappointment was Bob Mortimer. I love Bob, but rather than it being like Bob telling one of his stories, it just sounded like Bob reading a script.
Funny that you should bump this post, I revisited the thread the other day looking for recommendations. Authors reading their own work is on my list to be wary of these days. The same goes for big names, which are far from a guarantee of a good performance. I suspect that some authors and celebs just don't appreciate how much effort and talent goes into a really good narration.

If books are 2 for 1 or £1/2.99, I'm more prepared to take a punt, but when using a whole credit on a book, I'm now tending to browse the catalogue of narrators who I know I enjoy and picking a book that I think I'll like, rather than looking for the book first. At the moment, I'm really enjoying Project Hail Mary, read by Ray Porter, so will have no hesitation about spending a credit on We Are Legion (We Are Bob), read by him (different author) the next time I need to spend a credit.

Latest posts