• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do people do when the rugby seasons finished

Lifting up the couch was all the weights I did as a chap :p ...used to feel like some boss :p

How tall's his dad? cause I know boys who did heavy weights and bench pressed around 80kgs at 13 and are now 6'6 and still do heavy weights...

It must just be a coincidence then however I would say that heavy weight training is not as great as people say. As the case in many of my friends in school they have become extremely strong through extensive weight training and have large muscles, can beat anyone in arm wrestling matches, do 100 press ups in a few minutes etc. however these people are not any more powerful on the rugby pitch because their strength is not controlled or explosive. Rugby is more about power and physical endurance than pure muscle strength.

Wrestling thing doesn't really reflect strength as much as it does technique and speed... I absolutely grappling..I actually get abuse from my mates I enjoy it so much , but as much as I like to think that I am more powerful than everyone I think it just comes down to technique , speed and ability to go with the bodys natural movements

It must just be a coincidence then however I would say that heavy weight training is not as great as people say. As the case in many of my friends in school they have become extremely strong through extensive weight training and have large muscles, can beat anyone in arm wrestling matches, do 100 press ups in a few minutes etc. however these people are not any more powerful on the rugby pitch because their strength is not controlled or explosive. Rugby is more about power and physical endurance than pure muscle strength.

Power is reflected through strength. If I can squat 100kg and someone else can only squat 50kg, my upper limit for the amount of power my legs can produce is greater than his. And it's easy to combine weight training with things that make one more explosive.

Look at Owen Franks, you don't become powerful by doing 100 bicep curls. Heavy, low rep exercises helps generate explosive power.

In terms of after rugby union, rugby 7's and touch is where I love to be. It gets you feelling like you're still working on your 15 man game, but it gets you in better shape. This season I've got up to 115kgs which is where I am more or less aiming to be as a prop, but I'll often go down to 105 or even 100kgs in the off season just through cardio workouts and 7's.

Power is reflected through strength. If I can squat 100kg and someone else can only squat 50kg, my upper limit for the amount of power my legs can produce is greater than his. And it's easy to combine weight training with things that make one more explosive.

Yes but pure stength is not completely helpful for rugby. For example your point would suggest that a professional muscle man would be brilliant a physical ball carrying rugby but I can guarantee you they would not be because although they have unbelievable stength their power is not centred and their muscle endurance is not designed for rugby purposes and therefore their strength would not transfer to power in terms of rugby because their balance would not be accurate for the sport meaning that their stength is irrelevant and overdone for rugby.

Yes but pure stength is not completely helpful for rugby. For example your point would suggest that a professional muscle man would be brilliant a physical ball carrying rugby but I can guarantee you they would not be because although they have unbelievable stength their power is not centred and their muscle endurance is not designed for rugby purposes and therefore their strength would not transfer to power in terms of rugby because their balance would not be accurate for the sport meaning that their stength is irrelevant and overdone for rugby.

In honesty, this seems a lot like guess work. As someone who has done a lot of powerlifting since 15 years old (and I can't see it has stunted my growth, I'm around 190cm), I've found that doing heavy weights such as squats and deadlifts, only improve my scrummaging and make me better around the park. The trick is to combine weights with a healthy dose of cardio workouts and speed training. Obviously there is no point in putting someone huge who hasn't trained in a sport, and expect them to be great, but that's not to say that heavyweights and gaining size isn't going to help in addition to rugby training.

You're fighting a losing battle. You know nothing of exercise physiology or kinesiology and your arguments are purely anecdotal and spurious.

Proper weight training will translate to improved performance in ANY AND EVERY SPORT (even golf, sadly). The key is to have the proper routine for rugby. Performing a bodybuilding routine will result sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which will produce big, but useless muscles. Performing a strict powerlifting routine will result in a higher development of Type IIb muscle fibers, which are good for short, very powerful bursts of activity but are absolute **** for endurance.

Muscular endurance and explosive power can both be trained in the same athlete, but doing so simultaneously is near impossible. The best method to achieve the best of both worlds is to have a properly periodized program with power training in the offseason, gradually shifting to fitness and speed work in the preseason. The optimal type of training for rugby (once you have developed the necessary strength base) is strongman type training.

Weight training is simply a tool in building the ultimate athlete and different types of weight training yield different results. The biggest problem is that most athletes don't know how to train and worse yet, have no idea how to properly program their training for optimal results. Sadly, many strength and conditioning coaches are sorely lacking in this department as well.

As to the original focus of this thread, I compete in strongman competitions in the offseason. Yes, that's me in my avatar. I also spend a lot of time fishing, hunting, shooting, and I like woodworking when I have a spare moment.

Last edited:
As to the original focus of this thread, I compete in strongman competitions in the offseason. Yes, that's me in my avatar. I also spend a lot of time fishing, hunting, shooting, and I like woodworking when I have a spare moment.
Bad.
Ass.

One of the rounds of "Englands Strongest Man" is at my home towns rugby club once a year, bloody impressive to see - one of the gyms in the town (props spit and sawdust place) has a few in there that train for it, and it has some basic stuff (atlas stones, farmer walk things etc.) the guys are absolute beasts :D
My Girlfriends Dad used to do a bit of it in the off season from rugby too

Last edited:
You're fighting a losing battle. You know nothing of exercise physiology or kinesiology and your arguments are purely anecdotal and spurious.

Proper weight training will translate to improved performance in ANY AND EVERY SPORT (even golf, sadly). The key is to have the proper routine for rugby. Performing a bodybuilding routine will result sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which will produce big, but useless muscles. Performing a strict powerlifting routine will result in a higher development of Type IIb muscle fibers, which are good for short, very powerful bursts of activity but are absolute **** for endurance.

Muscular endurance and explosive power can both be trained in the same athlete, but doing so simultaneously is near impossible. The best method to achieve the best of both worlds is to have a properly periodized program with power training in the offseason, gradually shifting to fitness and speed work in the preseason. The optimal type of training for rugby (once you have developed the necessary strength base) is strongman type training.

Weight training is simply a tool in building the ultimate athlete and different types of weight training yield different results. The biggest problem is that most athletes don't know how to train and worse yet, have no idea how to properly program their training for optimal results. Sadly, many strength and conditioning coaches are sorely lacking in this department as well.

What do you shoot?
Looking into getting a new gun for clay shooting that will dual as a hunter when needs be any advice on a fairly tight budget ?

anyway back to the topic.

I am a very keen fisherman and boater. I tend to spend alot of my time crab potting or fishing off the coast of Guernsey (one of the best fishing spots in Britain). I am a keen historian and tend to research alot of history in my spare time. I have especially interest in Irish independence history and local history.

What do you shoot?
Looking into getting a new gun for clay shooting that will dual as a hunter when needs be any advice on a fairly tight budget ?

I shoot pretty much everything and anything I can get my hands on. I personally own a
-Hi Standard K1200 (12 ga)
-Remington 870 magnum (12 ga)
-Lee-Enfield Type I Mk III (.303 British)
-Marlin XT-17 (.22LR)
-Ithaca Flue (12 ga side-by-side)
-Winchester 1300 (12 ga)
-Ruger 10/22 (.22LR semi auto)
-I had a Winchester 1400 (12 ga semi auto), but I lost it at the bottom of a river when the boat capsized
I'm also in the process of acquiring a Springfield XDm compact in .9mm

What's legal for you guys to own over there? If you want to shoot clays and also hunt, a Remington 870 is going to be your best bet. They're relatively cheap, reliable, and they're built like a tank. They're also easy to clean and completely break down if you need to.

Last edited:
I shoot pretty much everything and anything I can get my hands on. I personally own a
-Hi Standard K1200 (12 ga)
-Remington 870 magnum (12 ga)
-Lee-Enfield Type I Mk III (.303 British)
-Marlin XT-17 (.22LR)
-Ithaca Flue (12 ga side-by-side)
-Winchester 1300 (12 ga)
-Ruger 10/22 (.22LR semi auto)
-I had a Winchester 1400 (12 ga semi auto), but I lost it at the bottom of a river when the boat capsized
I'm also in the process of acquiring a Springfield XDm compact in .9mm

What's legal for you guys to own over there? If you want to shoot clays and also hunt, a Remington 870 is going to be your best bet. They're relatively cheap, reliable, and they're built like a tank. They're also easy to clean and completely break down if you need to.
Well Semi Auto is legal only except limited to one in the chamber and two loaded .
Was thinking about a nice over and under Will have a look at the 870 now :)
Big fan of the ruger 10/22 but need something for the crows...they are sly as hell out here and are in the air long before I can cop them with a rifle.

Well Semi Auto is legal only except limited to one in the chamber and two loaded .
Was thinking about a nice over and under Will have a look at the 870 now :)
Big fan of the ruger 10/22 but need something for the crows...they are sly as hell out here and are in the air long before I can cop them with a rifle.

Get the 870 Super Mag. It's a beautiful gun. You can chamber anything from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" and you're going the need the extra oomph to reach out and touch the crows. They aren't stupid.

And semi-auto is only legal with one in the pipe and two in the mag? That's stupid.

Get the 870 Super Mag. It's a beautiful gun. You can chamber anything from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" and you're going the need the extra oomph to reach out and touch the crows. They aren't stupid.

And semi-auto is only legal with one in the pipe and two in the mag? That's stupid.

Yep so I have been told ...

I've been sitting around pretending all those tries I had disalowed last season (4 double movements, apparently! Four! And all of were just me placing the ball infront of me, honest!) were tries and add them onto my total (Just the two, although I spent the first half on the bench, so it's a decent total in a team that only won two games all season) and pretending I was our top try scorer. I will be next year, mark my words.

Any of you guys back at training yet? Our pre-season starts on tuesday. Been hitting the weights hard in the off-season.

Our practice starts in July, once a week we will work on fitness ( lots of running, interval and touch) as from August we start the real job.

Latest posts