• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What is wrong up there?

• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
Jeepers, I didn`t realise you guys don`t have competitive schools rugby up there. So it`s a Labour thing hey? Not good for the development of young children, my arse. Rugby`s the one thing that has probably taught me more values in life than any other sport. You know, teamwork, never give up, respect for teammates and opposition, even if you don`t like them. If that is the case, I`d think that the Tories had better come back pretty soon hey!

Point made about that Prestwick. Just to give you an idea- more players are contracted to the provincial unions in SA during the annual Craven Week, an u/18 provincial tournament, than from any other source. And those u/18 provincial players all come up through the schools system. If you guys don`t have that up north, well it`s a massive disadvantage to overcome.[/b]

There is only really competetive rugby between public shools and the top performing state schools, the latter happening only under a heavily sponsored competition. Other than that, zip. I have a few Public School chums who played rugby for the schools' first XV and talked about one day facing Public School teams whose PE coaches were ex-Army, ex-Royal Marine Commando or ex-Para and had them running up and down hills with packs full of rocks all day and then the next they'd be facing Blogside Comprehensive School for a warm up match who'd barely be able to get a XV together before the start of the game! When I was at school, it was a really dingy Comprehensive deep in Essex and thus Spurs or Arsenal territory. Rugby was taught only for two weeks in the winter and even then it was only basically to tire out the lads and stop them from being a nuciance in the class room. Football was the order of the day.

To sum up, the difference in terms of funding, organisation, teaching and overall quality between the top schools and the basic, inner city State Schools is staggering.

The problem is that this is the fault of a very liberal ideology that transcends all parties. It started in the 1970s with Labour under Barbara Castle and it continued all the way through various Labour and Tory governments, even under Thatcher school pitches were being sold off and all funding for teaching all sport except football cut to the bone.

Essentially direction of sporting policy outside of football is a rudderless ship. There is absolutely no government funding, direction or even advice. The GP clubs are being relied upon to set up local leagues or go to local schools to teach the game and drum up raw recruits, but it doesn't cover up the fact that generations of children in state schools are missing out big time on Rugby.

People might dismiss this and say that the Public (i.e. Private) Schools can take the strain, but the reality is that they can't in this modern professional era where every resource must be used to its utmost potential. Gauranteed, if there was proper targeted funding for rugby in State Schools, England would be consistently a far more powerful force in world Rugby.

Football in Britain doesn't need or want governement funding, its such a money monster. Billions from world tv revenue keeps it at the top. Rugby on the other hand is not encouraged as Prestwick points out.

You've now got Gordon Brown :toss: shouting his mouth off, about the feel good factor, England this England that, he's Scottish but thats another point. He's willing to spend billions on the Olympics, more showmanship from the Labour government. Most of the country think its an idea too far, for a bunch of pen pushing idiots, and manybe the money should be focused on developing sports around Britain and not just the regeneration of Londons slums. 2012 will be a major flop, just look at the Wembley fiasco.

france namibia shows that this topic it is not fully relevant
[/b]

'Nambia', that makes it still relevant. In all due respect, France looked good keeping the ball alive, but failed against a strong team. France are just too inconsistant, you never know what you've got, but to be fair your strongest NH side without doubt.

im just thinking that the weather is playing a huge part in the crap way the northerners are playing. isnt the typical type of play revolves in the forwards? (england, ireland) i think because the conditions are so damn nice that they are not adapting their way of playing, which is more suited to a backline type of play?

thats just what im thinking. that makes no sense but im a lil wasted. cheer bo

It's disappointing, but there's no big problem. France should have beaten Arg, and they've just ****** all over Namib. The second best NH team is Ireland, and they're just not performing. It happens. The rest have been mediocre for years, with the odd flash of inspiration, so they're playing as you'd expect.

Apart from Ireland's near collapse, the one really disappointing result for me was Italy v ABs - I expected Italy to show a lot more steel, but it looked like they were overawed before the kick off.

The good thing about the tournament is that it shows the standard of organisation in rugby is on the rise all over the place.

But the one thing really ticking me off is the amount of up and unders - a limited team like Arg, or Samoa today, use them with monotony, and it's just so duuuuuuuull.

[/b]
ARE YOU WATCHING THE SAME TOURNAMENT I AM ? what do you mean it happens, sure ireland have played bad before but namibia and georgia are ****. they are obviously worse than italy right? nz scored 76 against italy and ireland scored 46 points total in their two games if that is not choking horribly then their eventual failure to make the quarters will be. results like that don't any good teams. :wall:

ARE YOU WATCHING THE SAME TOURNAMENT I AM ? what do you mean it happens, sure ireland have played bad before but namibia and georgia are ****. they are obviously worse than italy right? nz scored 76 against italy and Ireland scored 46 points total in their two games if that is not choking horribly then their eventual failure to make the quarters will be. [/b]
I think we are.

The post should lead with "What happened to Ireland" cause as shtove said, "Apart from Ireland's near collapse" all the other NH teams are now playing to the levels expected (pish poor as they may be).

Ireland are playing crap and unfortunately it does ..............well it has happened. The question is why, and at this time none of us have a clue. To quote Eddie O'Sullivan "I dont have a magic answer" (he hasnt a clue either). Its not a matter of choking as their form was never really there. They havent played well for the past 3 months and as it stands, were effectively out of the tournament without putting in anything like a decent performance.

Its not like NZ, who go into a crunch match full of form, put 100 points on everybody, talk themselves up as the greatest things to walk the earth, get themselves in a winning position, then throw it away once the pressure is on. That is choking horribly. Thats your baggage.

Shtove- the part I`m going to disagree with is that France should`ve beaten the Argies. On that particular night, the Argies were always going to win. Even if France kicked all their penalties. Even if Remy Martin didn`t throw that ridiculous pass which lead to the Argie try. And yes, a big part of it was precisely because of the up-and-unders. You see, on the given night, the French were just tactically naive, Heymans at fullback had a shocker, and the Argies simply exploited it mercilessly. The Argies won that particular match because they played on their opponents` weaknesses. They played the smarter rugby, and that`s why they won.

Prestwick- well we`ve also got a similar problem with rugby in SA, believe it or not. Many of the former Model C schools- i.e. State-funded to a point, but with a large proportion of their revenue being made up by school fees, excel at rugby. Basically due to the fact that there are excellent training facilities, good coaches- not ex-army seargents, but former players mostly, and of course, because the rugger buggers get their pick of the nubile girls! It`s even more pronounced in the fully-private schools. In the Eastern Cape where I grew up, for instance, the fully private schools like Grey and Kingswood had fully-imported scrum machines, and former Bok coaches. Seriously. The school I attended, Framesby High, was very much of the model C variety. We had to make our own scrum machine in shop class!

But that said, if you look at the fully government-sponsored schools, which you`ll mostly find in the townships, well the daily struggle there is to just get food on the table. So even here, we are also dealing with similar socio-economic issues which affects all of our sports, not just rugby.

My point being that the only way to overcome these obstacles, is to throw the little bit of money available to your youth development structures first. Encouragingly, it seems like you guys have come to understand this concept over the last 4 years or so. And you`ll soon be reaping the benefits thereof.

Shtove- the part I`m going to disagree with is that France should`ve beaten the Argies. On that particular night, the Argies were always going to win. Even if France kicked all their penalties. Even if Remy Martin didn`t throw that ridiculous pass which lead to the Argie try. And yes, a big part of it was precisely because of the up-and-unders. You see, on the given night, the French were just tactically naive, Heymans at fullback had a shocker, and the Argies simply exploited it mercilessly. The Argies won that particular match because they played on their opponents` weaknesses. They played the smarter rugby, and that`s why they won.

Prestwick- well we`ve also got a similar problem with rugby in SA, believe it or not. Many of the former Model C schools- i.e. State-funded to a point, but with a large proportion of their revenue being made up by school fees, excel at rugby. Basically due to the fact that there are excellent training facilities, good coaches- not ex-army seargents, but former players mostly, and of course, because the rugger buggers get their pick of the nubile girls! It`s even more pronounced in the fully-private schools. In the Eastern Cape where I grew up, for instance, the fully private schools like Grey and Kingswood had fully-imported scrum machines, and former Bok coaches. Seriously. The school I attended, Framesby High, was very much of the model C variety. We had to make our own scrum machine in shop class!

But that said, if you look at the fully government-sponsored schools, which you`ll mostly find in the townships, well the daily struggle there is to just get food on the table. So even here, we are also dealing with similar socio-economic issues which affects all of our sports, not just rugby.

My point being that the only way to overcome these obstacles, is to throw the little bit of money available to your youth development structures first. Encouragingly, it seems like you guys have come to understand this concept over the last 4 years or so. And you`ll soon be reaping the benefits thereof.
[/b]

Hi BokMagic,

I actually went to Grey and my Ma went to Framesby :p , I actually agree to an extent, rugby at the schools you mentioned is at a very high standard, and this is mainly due to very good facilities and very good coaches, also with alot of these schools as they only play against other top rugby schools around the country and tend to ignore the smaller more locally based schools(apart from framesby, Grey doesn't playing anyone else in PE as an example) which means that the competiveness of the rugby between the top rugby schools is very high, but it doesn't really benefit the region.

But most of the top rugby schools have a reputation of developing and furthering the potential rugby careers of the players playing their, and that is a very big incentive for the next "Frans Steyn, Ruan Pienaar etc." to sign up and attend these schools and in some cases they don't even have to pay school fees, combine that with a near perfect academic track record(referring to the school's record) and it makes a for very attractive oppurtunity for any young 13yr old springbok hopeful, but as you quite rightly say most of the funding for these schools is generated by the students instead of the state, and therefore theses schools can afford to have the best facilities.

The real problem for me in our rugby development is not at the top rugby schools themselves, but at the smaller schools and at Club rugby,

smaller schools just don't recieve the funding to develop players properly, and in some cases its the last thing on thier mind, as just paying the water and lights and getting textbooks are their main priorities with any funds allocated (Education should always come first), but even at those schools they sometimes produce a few raw gems, such as say "Solly Tyibilika" (not the greatest rugby player, I know...), but if I think about where he came from Loyiso High in PE, a school I know to have broken and cracked windows, with tiles falling off the roof and plastic bags littering the fences, its an amazing testament to the raw talent we do have, and with minascule amounts of investment, we could easily produce a few very talented individuals.

As for our club rugby, this where we lose alot of players to lack of a professional setup, as it stands the most talented individuals go straight from school's rugby to Super 14 or curries cup franchises, but what about the players that don't make the grade, where do they go? nowhere or to small amateur clubs, which basically means that players who don't make it to the professional arena, tend to stop developing or dissapear completely. As for a solution to this I suppose investment in some of the better clubs would certainly not hurt, maybe a few big money competitions. Im really not sure can be done, but something needs to or who knows how many potential springboks could slip through our fingers.

(sorry I know that was a bit off-topic, just wanted to add my 2 cents on what BokMagic said.)

As for NH rugby, I don't think its that bad, just that there was a bit too much hype about their chances and this has certainly added to the pressure of the WC itself, teams like Georgia, Namibia, Canada etc. have nothing to lose and often just give their all and if they sense they have a chance, raise their game, coupled with a bit of underestimation and it can lead to a surprising outcome. Still the teams from the 6N really need to pickup there performance levels if they are thinking about winning the RWC.

well judging by that english,welsh and irish performance..and looking into the future of these teams..i still say they are far off the track interms of professionalism and any sense of skill

well judging by that english,welsh and irish performance..and looking into the future of these teams..i still say they are far off the track interms of professionalism and any sense of skill [/b]
Dont think any of us can argue with that at all to be honest. Wales are just Average at the moment, ireland and England are so far below average its kinda embarrassing.

i remember watching the under21's torunament like 2 years ago and the irish had some really promising talent....so did the english..im like wtf?..where are they in 2007??..

but then again it goes back to the money you guys spend on players from other countries..i.e the south hemisphere...while the game time should be given to these young kiddies..thats where the growth for ya country is gonna come from right?

if you guys are gonna get some outside help atleast make sure they havent played test footy for any country and get them eligible for ya team lol..like the allblacks..ahem sivivatu

If England aren't careful, their rugby may be headed in the same direction as their Soccer.