• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What position should I play? (Rookie)

Nathan

Academy Player
Hey everyone, I want to try playing rugby union at university, but I've got literally no experience. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading lots of articles on getting general skills. Anyway I'm on the small side (probably even for university 3rd team standards) I'm about 5 foot 8 and weigh around 74kg fasted (currently mid bulk). What I lack in mass I think I make up in strength (I've squatted 150kg and deadlifted 180kg). What position might I be most suitable for? Thankyou for the help.

Hey everyone, I want to try playing rugby union at university, but I've got literally no experience. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading lots of articles on getting general skills. Anyway I'm on the small side (probably even for university 3rd team standards) I'm about 5 foot 8 and weigh around 74kg fasted (currently mid bulk). What I lack in mass I think I make up in strength (I've squatted 150kg and deadlifted 180kg). What position might I be most suitable for? Thankyou for the help.

Scrum half

Lots of skill development to do there. Kicking will need to be learned but I'll have plenty of time on my hands after A levels finish. Thankyou.

Yeah your passing will need to be good also but you're eventual position will be 'somewhat' dictated by your size unfortunately. Wing could also work if your acceleration and stepping are solid.

Honestly at Uni level either 12/13 or 7 to begin with maybe.
Both are relatively easy positions to pick up to begin with and both can be covered by surrounding positions.

5'8 and 11 and a half stone should be fine for both those positions at Uni level.
Scrum Half is not a position to learn how to play the game.

Tip with Summer coming round try and join a touch rugby group should be a local one near you, Touch is a great way to learn the basics in terms of handling and awareness in a non competitive way. (Plus summer touch in the sun is amazing for a tan).
Maybe even look to join your local club, and do some pre-season training before leaving for Uni, most clubs are fine about having students come in for pre-season.

Honestly if your strong then 7 might be your best bet. (also the most fun on the whole)

Honestly at Uni level either 12/13 or 7 to begin with maybe.
Both are relatively easy positions to pick up to begin with and both can be covered by surrounding positions.

5'8 and 11 and a half stone should be fine for both those positions at Uni level.
Scrum Half is not a position to learn how to play the game.

Tip with Summer coming round try and join a touch rugby group should be a local one near you, Touch is a great way to learn the basics in terms of handling and awareness in a non competitive way. (Plus summer touch in the sun is amazing for a tan).
Maybe even look to join your local club, and do some pre-season training before leaving for Uni, most clubs are fine about having students come in for pre-season.

Honestly if your strong then 7 might be your best bet. (also the most fun on the whole)
Thankyou. How does paying as an openside flanker differ from playing as a blindside?

I guess it depends on how the club plays.
Usually a 6 Is more a heavy hitter workhorse whereas the 7 tends to get a bit more freedom.

But that's only traditionally.

As Tigs Man said, different sides might ask their back row to fulfil different roles. However, an openside should typically be closer to supporting the attack. Either being quick to secure possession when the attack breaks down or offering an option on the shoulder of anyone making a break in midfield.

Easily the best position on the field IMO.

In the professional game, most blindside flankers are bigger guys who would typically also offer an option at lineout time.

I'm the same height (albeit a fair bit heavier at 85kg) and I've never had too many problems playing flanker at amateur level.

Go and train the club team will decide what position suits you best.
Honestly they will probably stick you as a novice on the wing then see how you hack it.

Your light but strong but are you quick? Top end or acceleration? Ive played 6 for the last season and im 5ft 8 and 77kg amd i havnt had many issues. The amateur game you prob arnt suited to prop lock No.8. But the rest of the positions are fully availablr to you. Ive seen lightweight hookers before. Find your skillset and what you would like to do an build from there. There is no point playing as a back if you want to be a forward in the thick of it.

Do you want to be a forward or a back? I used to be a wing and moved to 6 and love it so much more. As tigs said touch rugby will help basic skills. It did mine no end. But just get involved and find your place.

Honestly they will probably stick you as a novice on the wing then see how you hack it.

lol. spot on. exactly.

imagine him turning up and telling the club he's never played before but he's a blindside flanker !!!!!

To be honest I'd rather be a forward, being more involved in the heavy hitting sounds fun. Touch rugby sounds good, although there's not any touch rugby local to me. When my A levels are finished I'm thinking of practicing the basic skills at the local field or park, albeit alone for most of it as my brothers would still be at school and my friends aren't into rugby. I've been told that all levels of experience are welcome to try for the university teams and at the end of the day, it's not like I'm expecting to play any higher than the 3rd team.

lol. spot on. exactly.

imagine him turning up and telling the club he's never played before but he's a blindside flanker !!!!!
Your light but strong but are you quick? Top end or acceleration? Ive played 6 for the last season and im 5ft 8 and 77kg amd i havnt had many issues. The amateur game you prob arnt suited to prop lock No.8. But the rest of the positions are fully availablr to you. Ive seen lightweight hookers before. Find your skillset and what you would like to do an build from there. There is no point playing as a back if you want to be a forward in the thick of it.

Do you want to be a forward or a back? I used to be a wing and moved to 6 and love it so much more. As tigs said touch rugby will help basic skills. It did mine no end. But just get involved and find your place.
As Tigs Man said, different sides might ask their back row to fulfil different roles. However, an openside should typically be closer to supporting the attack. Either being quick to secure possession when the attack breaks down or offering an option on the shoulder of anyone making a break in midfield.

In the professional game, most blindside flankers are bigger guys who would typically also offer an option at lineout time.

I'm the same height (albeit a fair bit heavier at 85kg) and I've never had too many problems playing flanker at amateur level.

I guess it depends on how the club plays.
Usually a 6 Is more a heavy hitter workhorse whereas the 7 tends to get a bit more freedom.

But that's only traditionally.

And it annoys me how novices get stuck on the wing when the wingers are usually the finishing piece of the move. If, like me, a winger has a very limited skill set then how can we be expected to finish off the move?

Annoying thing is I can't practice my scrum, ruck or maul because we don't have a sled at my gym anymore, so no more sled pushes. (Apologies for the spam replies I just kept thinking of things to say after posting a reply)

Annoying thing is I can't practice my scrum, ruck or maul because we don't have a sled at my gym anymore, so no more sled pushes. (Apologies for the spam replies I just kept thinking of things to say after posting a reply)

It's best to practice your scrum ruck and maul against a wall in your room at first so no worries.

You can also do virtual scrum ruck mauling these days via an app too, which most people move on to after a season or two, and you can do that with or without a sled.

Don't forget to grunt loudly and shout "heeeeaaavvvveeeee".

Latest posts