• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What position should I play?

urbanskaterdude

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
I'm fairly quick, a fairly good sidestepper, a pretty poor tackler but working on that, average height, fairly light, quite strong for my weight though, got better passes than most other players, and can kick drop goals and punts quite well, although I struggle with conversions and kicking of a tee.

I think that I would suit a scrum half, could you tell me if you think that's best and what I could do to improve at the position you would recommend. Thanks in advance.

I'm fairly quick, a fairly good sidestepper, a pretty poor tackler but working on that, average height, fairly light, quite strong for my weight though, got better passes than most other players, and can kick drop goals and punts quite well, although I struggle with conversions and kicking of a tee.

I think that I would suit a scrum half, could you tell me if you think that's best and what I could do to improve at the position you would recommend. Thanks in advance.

9, 10 or 15 seem like the best fits although you definitely need to improve your tackling for the 15 jersey to be a realistic possibility. How's your pace? 11 or 14 may be options as well...though your kicking might be underutilized there.

I completely agree. I'm pretty quick, not by any means the quickest but my step generally puts me out on the wing. 15 is a little difficult for me as I'm an average catcher of the ball and so I think 9 or 10 would be the best options? What sort of qualities do you require to play 12 or 13 as these are my favourite positions to watch, thanks for replying

I completely agree. I'm pretty quick, not by any means the quickest but my step generally puts me out on the wing. 15 is a little difficult for me as I'm an average catcher of the ball and so I think 9 or 10 would be the best options? What sort of qualities do you require to play 12 or 13 as these are my favourite positions to watch, thanks for replying

12 and 13 must be willing and able to accumulate a double-digit tackle count while also being mindful of their role in creating running lanes and facillitating ball movement on the attack...a very physical position which requires athleticism, toughness and communication skills.

Try fullback your soon learn to tackle better real quick if your the last line of defence:)

why not try all positions in the backs.....play a few games in each role, see which feels more natural. Tackling is important in all positions, 9,11,14 less so, but still a great attribute to have.

"A pretty poor tackler..."

I'm sorry, but i've played rugby for a while and you should never step in and 9 or 10 if that's how you describe yourself.
Tackling is a basic, it's like catching. If you can't catch someone has to give you the ball, if you can't tackle someone has to cover your man as well as theirs. Neither of them work in the game.
Work on the tackling however and you sound like a sound candidate for number 9.
I'm not a big guy at all. I'm 5'8" and 72kgs. But when i switched from wing to 9 i shat myself in my first game. I'd worked so much on my offence, my passing, my fitness that it didn't occur to me how much more often those big ******** from the scrum run at you.
But I did what i've always been told to do,

"You're short and light, never go high into the tackle. Take the guy by his thighs, take him by his knees if you have to, but make sure you get both legs. Then just let him run over you and don't let go til that ******* either hits the floor or lets go of the ball."

That's pretty much how I've always tackled at scrum half. Granted if i'm in there quick enough while they're picking up the ball from the ground i'm pulling on their collar like a jack russell pulling on a guys trouser leg: always losing the battle but making a hell of nuisance of himself and seriously impeding your the guy with the ball.

RC, are you going to tell Ronan O'Gara or shall I?

A number of very poor tacklers have played 10 with great success. Someone who plays 10 well going forwards tends to get forgiven a lot of defensive sins.

Latest posts