• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best cleats for a flanker/wing combo

sakura

Academy Player
I’m thinking of coming back to rugby after 6 years from a knee injury. When I was 14 I played as a prop but 6 years later Im a little too light for that I think haha.

I got some great tips at the forum here from u guys about my position ( https://www.therugbyforum.com/threa...m-75kg-6-0-165lbs-gaining-weight.48015/page-2 )

I will most likely join a club and start at the bench and be placed mainly as an openhead flanker or a winger, and possibly as a number 8 or center.

I looked at the Gilbert Kaizen 1.1 when I thought I would play number 8 but for a flanker I think this shoe is maybe a bit too much powerhouse focussed, and especially for a wing I guess. The Gilbert Kaizen 3.1 looks like a nice combo for the 3 possible positions, its half the price but looks still powerful but more agile. Im not on a budget so I don’t bother too much about the price of the cleats.

It doesn't have to be one of these two cleats if you have a better recommendation for me :)

I know they are just shoes and Im not expecting them to make me a better player, but I think it could be quite a disadvantage and I rather prevent this from the start

Thanks!

Which Tyler

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

You're just starting back after what was it? 7 years away from rugby?
You might yet call it quits after the first few matches; so no point in throwing serious money at a pair of boots. Get something cheap and relatively disposable for now; can always upgrade later.

sakura

Academy Player
You're just starting back after what was it? 7 years away from rugby?
You might yet call it quits after the first few matches; so no point in throwing serious money at a pair of boots. Get something cheap and relatively disposable for now; can always upgrade later.
Fair yeah haha, but most pairs I see are around the 60€-120€, so thats like a full day of work. In that case I guess I should get the Kaizen 3.1 as they are 65€ which is pretty cheap and disposable I guess. Also they look pretty good I think for multiple positions. Thanks :)

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

I wouldn’t worry too much about the boots at this stage.

Unless you are a high performance athlete, I’d be surprised if the expensive boots make any discernible difference.

I’d spend a bit more on a decent mouthguard though. For safety and comfort getting a decent one that fits well is much better than going for a cheap, poorly fitting one that makes it difficult to breathe and hard to talk.

Without wanting to sound patronising, your enthusiasm is great, but I wouldn’t go spending a load of money until you’ve experienced the physicality of senior rugby.

Safe to say it will be a world away from what you knew as a 14 year old. Even at low levels, there are some big hits and players that hit to hurt. I’m not trying to put you off - just don’t underestimate how hard the game actually is.

sakura

Academy Player
I wouldn’t worry too much about the boots at this stage.

Unless you are a high performance athlete, I’d be surprised if the expensive boots make any discernible difference.

I’d spend a bit more on a decent mouthguard though. For safety and comfort getting a decent one that fits well is much better than going for a cheap, poorly fitting one that makes it difficult to breathe and hard to talk.

Without wanting to sound patronising, your enthusiasm is great, but I wouldn’t go spending a load of money until you’ve experienced the physicality of senior rugby.

Safe to say it will be a world away from what you knew as a 14 year old. Even at low levels, there are some big hits and players that hit to hurt. I’m not trying to put you off - just don’t underestimate how hard the game actually is.
Yeah ur right but theres still a big difference in if u want 8 stud or 6 or aluminium or plastic, and I thought forwards and backs use different boots for grip/power and speed. So if I get 8 aluminium studs that looks really steady for the scrum it wont slow me down too much when Id play wing?

Which Tyler

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

As long as they're screw-in studs, you can change them for whatever you want. At the level you'll be playing, different numbers of studs is... no real difference.
I think you're just overthinking things.

sakura

Academy Player
As long as they're screw-in studs, you can change them for whatever you want. At the level you'll be playing, different numbers of studs is... no real difference.
I think you're just overthinking things.
Haha alright then I just get comfortable ones if anything will do. Thanks :)