• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best cleats for a flanker/wing combo

sakura

Academy Player
I'm thinking of coming back to rugby after 6 years from a knee injury. When I was 14 I played as a prop but 6 years later Im a little too light for that I think haha.

I got some great tips at the forum here from u guys about my position ( https://www.therugbyforum.com/threa...m-75kg-6-0-165lbs-gaining-weight.48015/page-2 )

I will most likely join a club and start at the bench and be placed mainly as an openhead flanker or a winger, and possibly as a number 8 or center.

I looked at the Gilbert Kaizen 1.1 when I thought I would play number 8 but for a flanker I think this shoe is maybe a bit too much powerhouse focussed, and especially for a wing I guess. The Gilbert Kaizen 3.1 looks like a nice combo for the 3 possible positions, its half the price but looks still powerful but more agile. Im not on a budget so I don't bother too much about the price of the cleats.

It doesn't have to be one of these two cleats if you have a better recommendation for me :)

I know they are just shoes and Im not expecting them to make me a better player, but I think it could be quite a disadvantage and I rather prevent this from the start

Thanks!

You're just starting back after what was it? 7 years away from rugby?
You might yet call it quits after the first few matches; so no point in throwing serious money at a pair of boots. Get something cheap and relatively disposable for now; can always upgrade later.

You're just starting back after what was it? 7 years away from rugby?
You might yet call it quits after the first few matches; so no point in throwing serious money at a pair of boots. Get something cheap and relatively disposable for now; can always upgrade later.
Fair yeah haha, but most pairs I see are around the 60€-120€, so thats like a full day of work. In that case I guess I should get the Kaizen 3.1 as they are 65€ which is pretty cheap and disposable I guess. Also they look pretty good I think for multiple positions. Thanks :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the boots at this stage.

Unless you are a high performance athlete, I'd be surprised if the expensive boots make any discernible difference.

I'd spend a bit more on a decent mouthguard though. For safety and comfort getting a decent one that fits well is much better than going for a cheap, poorly fitting one that makes it difficult to breathe and hard to talk.

Without wanting to sound patronising, your enthusiasm is great, but I wouldn't go spending a load of money until you've experienced the physicality of senior rugby.

Safe to say it will be a world away from what you knew as a 14 year old. Even at low levels, there are some big hits and players that hit to hurt. I'm not trying to put you off - just don't underestimate how hard the game actually is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boots at this stage.

Unless you are a high performance athlete, I'd be surprised if the expensive boots make any discernible difference.

I'd spend a bit more on a decent mouthguard though. For safety and comfort getting a decent one that fits well is much better than going for a cheap, poorly fitting one that makes it difficult to breathe and hard to talk.

Without wanting to sound patronising, your enthusiasm is great, but I wouldn't go spending a load of money until you've experienced the physicality of senior rugby.

Safe to say it will be a world away from what you knew as a 14 year old. Even at low levels, there are some big hits and players that hit to hurt. I'm not trying to put you off - just don't underestimate how hard the game actually is.
Yeah ur right but theres still a big difference in if u want 8 stud or 6 or aluminium or plastic, and I thought forwards and backs use different boots for grip/power and speed. So if I get 8 aluminium studs that looks really steady for the scrum it wont slow me down too much when Id play wing?

As long as they're screw-in studs, you can change them for whatever you want. At the level you'll be playing, different numbers of studs is... no real difference.
I think you're just overthinking things.

As long as they're screw-in studs, you can change them for whatever you want. At the level you'll be playing, different numbers of studs is... no real difference.
I think you're just overthinking things.
Haha alright then I just get comfortable ones if anything will do. Thanks :)

Latest posts