• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What teams shirts do you own.

I've always found it odd when people who have Irish ancestry of 1-to-200 years ago go mad for Patricks day - my GF is half Irish yet doesn't give a hoot about it.

Probably mainly because of the heavy Irish immigration here, especially in the 1800's and 1900's. I've heard Ireland celebrates it as well, just moreso as a "feast" day. I could be wrong though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Day

Yep thats wrong not as many go to mass now, everywhere has a parade and nearly everyone uses it as an excuse to get ******.

The Americans like to pretend their Irish, and now the Irish are mimicking the Americans. How ironic...

The Americans like to pretend their Irish, and now the Irish are mimicking the Americans. How ironic...

According to Americans we'd be mimicking ourselves as all Americans are Irish. People all over the western world imitate Americans not just some Irish people.

That is very true. A running joke here is that the Americans are becoming more Irish than the actual Irish. I have 1/8th Irish heritage (not direct, just a combination of some of my ancestors' heritage), and I wouldn't consider myself Irish (just having Irish heritage, there's a difference), but I'll be celebrating saturday at an Irish pub (an authentic Irish pub, in which the owners are actually from Ireland, not an "Irish-themed" bar like some bars around where I live).

According to Americans we'd be mimicking ourselves as all Americans are Irish. People all over the western world imitate Americans not just some Irish people.

Exactly. Though you see just as many people here pretending to be Italian as well (though most of them are the fake Jersey Shore "Italian-Americans"). Shame really.

Its ridiculous the population of Dublin increases drastically around Paddy's day because of all the Americans.....some of the funny things they say

Latest posts