Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Top 8 Knock-Out Comp

• Both

• Neither

• Total voters
Ahh I dont know. I kinda take the **** on this one, but its not a new tournament, or new trophy's thats needed, its a unified Calendar. Nothing will change until this fundamental issue has been resolved.

Once the calendar is sorted out, tours may begin to mean something again. [/b]

For the developed sides the calender is the major issues, but with so many parties involved i can't see a unified season structure. They can't even get European seasons to match. Sorting it out would be great. Not going to happen though.

Personally i don't see the point of changing the competitions. I'd oppose anything that involved removing the 6N, and it's such an established competition (as is the 3N) that removing it for smoething else is simply not an option. I don't see the need for increaseed NH v SH matches. The fact that it is only development tours, Lions and WC makes them special occaisions.

The things that need sorting are the involvement of Argentina, pacific islands and others like USA, Japan and Georgia.

I love the idea of an International Shield! Who is the bloke that came up with they idea? Gotta give him a plus rep

I love the idea of an International Shield! Who is the bloke that came up with they idea? Gotta give him a plus rep [/b]
If you went to the start of the topic, you'd find out who it was :p

The more I think of that International Shield idea, the more I'm thinking of e-mailing every union and the IRB, lol.

I can imagine how much more awesome tours would be. If someone like Samoa somehow won it off the holder, whilst touring Wales (for example), all of a sudden every team in the world would be trying to pencil in a game against them in Apia the following season! It'd be awesome revenue for a small country if that sort of thing happened.

I'm certainly not suggesting it for the sake of NZ having something. We already have the Bledisloe and Tri-Nations (for now at least), and we might not be able to win it at all!!!!

The above scenario is the only way it'd add anything to the existing calendar though.

The more I think of that International Shield idea, the more I'm thinking of e-mailing every union and the IRB, lol.[/b]
Yeah mate you should! If you provide a detailed plan (obviously not overly big in volume so they'll actually take a look at it, but big enough for them to take notice) I'm sure you'd get feed back from one of the unions or even the IRB.

A bigger World Cup, for reasons I've mentioned on another topic on this forum.

It's the only way to bring the game forward. I'd love to see a Portugal vs Brazil final one day in the World Cup, because of the flair these nations have at the round-ball game.

<div class='quotemain'> The more I think of that International Shield idea, the more I'm thinking of e-mailing every union and the IRB, lol.[/b]
Yeah mate you should! If you provide a detailed plan (obviously not overly big in volume so they'll actually take a look at it, but big enough for them to take notice) I'm sure you'd get feed back from one of the unions or even the IRB.
[/b][/quote]
From what I have heard of similar 'petitions' of good ideas IRB doesn't really give a rats ass....

<div class='quotemain'>
It seems that the major supporters of an additional world rugby competition are from the Southern Hemisphere, no doubt depressed that they will have to wait another four years to beat England and co. in a meanignful competition.
[/b]
Fishing a little? Two SH + Two NH, count em..
[/b][/quote]

Yeah - point taken, but you've gotta gloat when you can. After all Kiwis will take any opportunity.

<div class='quotemain'> I love the idea of an International Shield! Who is the bloke that came up with they idea? Gotta give him a plus rep [/b]
If you went to the start of the topic, you'd find out who it was :p

[/b][/quote]

HAHAHA i'm too lazy!

<div class='quotemain'>
It seems that the major supporters of an additional world rugby competition are from the Southern Hemisphere, no doubt depressed that they will have to wait another four years to beat England and co. in a meanignful competition.
[/b]
Fishing a little? Two UNBEATEN SH + Two NH BOTH BEATEN ALREADY BY SH SEMI-FINALISTS, count em.. [/b][/quote]

Slight correction there Brodizzle. Just for the record, of course. No NH fishing whatsoever. Really...........

Anyway, back on the topic. CA`s idea is genuinely so easily manageable. Absolutely no changes to current fixture lists necessary. The only investment needed by the IRB is the purchase of a shield!

So basically, just to clarify- the idea is for the winners of this year`s RWC to be awarded Bill, and a smaller, replica shield to be put up for their 1st game after the final. Say this happened after last year`s RWC- Eng would`ve been the holders, Ireland would`ve taken the Shield when they won at Twickers in 04, Wales would`ve taken it in the Triple Crown decider, NZ would`ve taken it in their win on the EOYT, having gotten a shot at Wales before the Boks, the Boks would`ve taken it in Cape Town, the AB`s again in the 2005 home leg, the Boks again in Rustenburg 2006, then Ireland again in Nov 2006, followed by France in the six nations 2007, England taking it from France, Ireland reclaiming it, and thus the current holders would`ve been the Argies, having taken it in the pool game. Hope I got that right, I`m open to correction here!

Brilliant stuff I say. And it all comes together again at the RWC finals, with whoever wins Bill being the new holder every 4 years. Absolutely love this concept!

Thats just elaborated things a whole lot better, yep.

The only point to reiterate is that if a side is touring and playing (for example) a two or three test series, i.e. France going to South Africa, then South Africa, if holding it have to choose which test it's on the line for.

Thats one of the cool features. If South Africa put it up for the second test, and France only won that test and took the shield, it'd be gutting. Yet thats part of the strategic element. the home team should know when it's best prepared to defend it.

If a team made all the right moves and won the right games, they might even hold onto it for a couple of years. Then every team would be gunning for it.

I`m really liking that idea about it being put on the line in a tour match. Great stuff, once again. Plus, it would actually give a helluva lot more meaning to those May or November one-off cross-hemisphere test matches. Which has already been referred to by one absolute idiot at the IRB as "international friendlies". Nothing like a world heavyweight showdown, heck even 2 or 3 in a row during those May/Nov tours.

it would be nice if they did 2 year regional things, like fifa does, but i dont think there are enough teams in some regions to even do that

it would be nice if they did 2 year regional things, like fifa does, but i dont think there are enough teams in some regions to even do that [/b]
There are plenty of teams in each region of varying ability, however a region system like that of FIFA wouldn't work. Thats my opinion anyway. In each region the top one or two teams would flog the lesser team, especially in the Americas region and Asia. Maybe Europe, Australasia/Oceanea? Or SH, NH? This will only be possible once more teams follow Argentina's path and develop into true rugby power houses.

RWC qualifying for the non-default teams is divided up in to regions and I suppose is like a minature competition which could possibly be expanded upon. I can't see it happening though.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Fishing a little? Two SH + Two NH, count em.. [/b][/quote]

The English Soccer Bandwagoners will soon disappear again when Jonny gets injured and normal service is restored as they lose to Wales.

What world rugby needs is for the Pacific Island teams to get taken seriously. Fiji, Samoa and Tonga need some decent funding and some serious competition. They should be playing regular tests agains the Tri-Nations countries at least.