• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the most important position on a rugby pitch?

What's the most important position

• Prop

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Hooker

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Second row

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Flanker

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Scrum half

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Out half

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Wing

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Centre

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Full back

• Total voters
Completely subjective. Totally depends on how a team plays, and what tactics are used. Every position can be the most important at some point so there is no 'right' answer.

However, if you change the question to 'in which position is it most important to have a good player?' then that is a little different, and you could probably say that 9 and 10 are the most critical because they direct, dictate and decide the play. But again it is subjective to each team because having one good player doesn't really add anything.

Therefore the most important position is: Every position.

its got to be prop specifically tighthead and i've played both and prefer loose forget which 1 but some former aussie coach said the first player he picked was his tighthead and the second was the sub tighthead everything starts through them they build the platform in the scrum ruck and even are important in the lineout. without a platform the 10 can't do much

I'd say when it comes to overall skill and technique, the scrum-half and flyhalf have to be at the top of their game, as they have to have the crispest passes, kicks, and positioning on the field.

But in the team effort, I would say all the forward positions are the most important. I play scrum-half and the whole game feels like night and day if I'm getting clean ball by the forwards. A team can win just by pick and goes and cleaning the ruck out every time, the backs just speed up the process haha!

And naturally, every position is important, especially the scrum-half, the well-oiled sex machine that connects the dumb brutes with the pretty boys who are afraid of contact :p.

Well In my view THe most important position in rugby is " Full back" who really defend the attacks from the other team . He saves his team from attacks . So consider Full back an important position .

Vishal Bhatia

Last edited:
I voted props because they are the ones lifting and running from ruk to ruk they also do the hard lines it's does small but very important things that people don't notice

Referees at all levels from weeds to RWC without one on pitch no game, simples.
A good makes game game better a poor one leads to a poor game
A good Captain after that can influence the above with good verbal skill set and understanding of the laws and motivate players and make the split second decision that may or may not decide a game.

I was debaiting 9 or 10 but went for 9 he is the link between forwards and the backs and we all know a 9 giving slow service and bad boxkicks can put you massively on the back foot. Obviously countered by 10 being the playermaker and kicker. But a 10 doesnt have to take the kicks. (halfpenny laidlaw spencer Ect).

Was going to say 9 but with england getting to the RWC final I'm not.

Has to be a forward, and in my memory I don't know many teams that lose when the scrum is so dominant.

9 or 10 generally, I'd say 10 is the most important position but maybe not with ball in hand as such. Think the ability to sit back, organise and communicate is pretty crucial. Although everything starts with that pass from the half back, direction from your 10 is massive. Your 10 is a coach on the field.

At the top level of the game though I think your front row. Can't win test matches if your set piece is poor as we saw on Saturday.

Last edited:
In today's professional game I would have to say prop. Simply because scrum penalties. Second most important is the player that kicks for touch when you get a penalty.

it starts with the forwards. backs cant do jack if the forwards arent securing and cleaning out rucks. halfback and 10 cant do anything if they arent getting quality ball.

of the forwards you would pick your tightHead first when selecting a team and build your scrum around the TH.
then its the tight5 as they are tasked with clearing out rucks and mauls, which is bread and butter to any winning team.

no mention at all about a thread being resurrected from 2011? a couple of old names id forgotten, @trf_nickdnz and @psychic-duck

I went for halfback, even Dan Carter could look average when not getting crisp ball right where he wanted it, and thats forgetting its the halfbacks decision to go that way to start with, he might go blind or box kick...all the fly half's decisions are based on a decision the halfback has already made

Last edited:
no mention at all about a thread being resurrected from 2011? a couple of old names id forgotten, @trf_nickdnz and Physic Duck

I went for halfback, even Dan Carter could look average when not getting crisp ball right where he wanted it, and thats forgetting its the halfbacks decision to go that way to start with, he might go blind or box kick...all the fly half's decisions are based on a decision the halfback has already made
yeah but a halfback behind a non dominant pack does their justinMarshall impressions

yeah but a halfback behind a non dominant pack does their justinMarshall impressions

true...but a truly good one can still do something, fast in and out at scrum time, looking for the short ball around the rucks, you could say the halfback is the one having to tidy up when the forward pack is getting pushed around, this is coming from a former hooker by the way...love those little guys

Tight head. A crap tight head can cost you 15 points or more under the right circumstances. I don't know another position that can make that big of an impact.

Even the best kicker in the world isn't 15 points better than a replacement kicker.

Tight head. A crap tight head can cost you 15 points or more under the right circumstances. I don't know another position that can make that big of an impact.

Even the best kicker in the world isn't 15 points better than a replacement kicker.
And that's why leaving franks In hindsight was a mistake

no mention at all about a thread being resurrected from 2011? a couple of old names id forgotten, @trf_nickdnz and @psychic-duck

Big example to back this up in the final to be fair. England basically have a 5 v 2 down the left, Kolbe makes a tackle on Lawes to prevent it, it's brilliant defence it has to be said.

The pass from Ben Youngs though to George Ford just isn't quite good enough, it's accurate but it floats in the air and wobbles into his hands and it just about gives enough time for the SA cover defence to cover across. Aaron Smith fires that to Ford and IMO it's a try, he just gives him half a second more. It's a really undervalued part of the game or a skill in the game. That first pass from the 9 is pivotal.

Latest posts